Audi A3 Sedan/Sportsback new 1.0 variants

Shouyi

Supercharged
11 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

1 litre  turbo engine will be very strained IMO to pull the chassis. Couldn’t Audi just  detune the 1.5 turbo to 129 bhp so that it slots into cat A 😂

You mean like Honda Civic? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

You mean like Honda Civic? 

yup yup, uniquely singapore pay more to get less thanks to COE and stupid ARF taxes

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Conan86 said:

I’m pretty disgusted by the pricing of these lower capacity models.. take for example

A3 1L list price $188k with CAT A COE @ $74k, meaning price without COE is $114k

A3 1.5L list price $209k with CAT B COE @ $101k, meaning price without COE is $108k

The same can be said for 216i vs 218i Gran Coupe.. the VES rebate is completely omitted and doesn’t result in a much lower list price. The ADs actually have a higher profit margin for lower cap models when the basic cost without COE is logically gonna be lower too

A3 was around 100~110k+ with COE in 2018/2019...

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Confusedboi said:

yup yup, uniquely singapore pay more to get less thanks to COE and stupid ARF taxes

But the detuned Honda Civic really quite chui leh. Can really feel that the power is strangled.

• Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

But the detuned Honda Civic really quite chui leh. Can really feel that the power is strangled.

yupx thats why you hardly see the new  detuned civic on the road😅

• Haha! 1

(edited)
On 6/21/2022 at 10:35 AM, Confusedboi said:

1 litre  turbo engine will be very strained IMO to pull the chassis. Couldn’t Audi just  detune the 1.5 turbo to 129 bhp so that it slots into cat A 😂

If you have driven 1L turbo in SG before, u will find most of the time it is fine. You would be quite surprised. And not as if you can go that fast in SG anyway with all the traffic and cameras. Having good 0-100 timing doesn't mean much IRL. Why detune a 1.5L and still pay the road tax and probably still higher FC than the 1L? What may not be so fine is the rear torsion beam suspension....

Edited by Kar_lover
  • Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Kar_lover said:

If you have driven 1L turbo in SG before, u will find most of the time it is fine. You would be quite surprised. And not as if you can go that fast in SG anyway with all the traffic and cameras. Having good 0-100 timing doesn't mean much IRL. Why detune a 1.5L and still pay the road tax and probably still higher FC than the 1L? What may not be so fine is the rear torsion beam suspension....

Not to mention 1.0t can usually get at least 14-15km/l even when majority city driving. 1.5t typically is 10-12 for majority city unless it's a hybrid engine (not referring to the gimmicky mild hybrid ones)

• Praise 2

27 minutes ago, Kar_lover said:

Hm I have not tried 1.0 litre turbo for Audi before, only the 1.4 litre turbo used in the Q2 and the 2.0 litre turbo used in the A4 ( using the Audi on demand rental service ). Both felt effortless to move off. Cruising on the north south highway felt so easy in the A4 lol, comfy and quiet😆

1 minute ago, Confusedboi said:

Hm I have not tried 1.0 litre turbo for Audi before, only the 1.4 litre turbo used in the Q2 and the 2.0 litre turbo used in the A4 ( using the Audi on demand rental service ). Both felt effortless to move off. Cruising on the north south highway felt so easy in the A4 lol, comfy and quiet😆

If NSHW then 1L TC may be CMI if you want to run with the bigger boys, my reply was specifically "in SG". I had tried Golf 1.0T and Stonic 1.0T. Both were pretty perky, being small and light, pickup was pretty good too. Again, in the context of SG traffic conditions.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

i did a test drive for a 2017 A3 with 1.0L. lag lag... the 1.0 when unboosted struggled to drag the A3. could definitely feel the lack of power till boost came in. I was just driving normally.

• Praise 1

46 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

It's a good compromise if all you are after is the Audi badge. 

Yupx yupx the Audi badge makes the car  higher class than equivalent Japanese or Korean cars 😁. Power of the badge, same for Mercedes and BMW! 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

i did a test drive for a 2017 A3 with 1.0L. lag lag... the 1.0 when unboosted struggled to drag the A3. could definitely feel the lack of power till boost came in. I was just driving normally.

it's OK ... the 4-rings logo in front and back is fully boasted .... :grin:

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 4

Sorry for OT post. Not related to A3 but Audi related. Audi power for the win! This one think is illegal exhaust mod, straight pipe ah, damn loud sia.

Turbocharged
35 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

Yupx yupx the Audi badge makes the car  higher class than equivalent Japanese or Korean cars 😁. Power of the badge, same for Mercedes and BMW! 

So sad. 😕  Like some people rather buy a small LV bag than a large Longchamp bag. 

13 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

So sad. 😕  Like some people rather buy a small LV bag than a large Longchamp bag. 

Yah Loh what to do, badge and status branding matters a lot😔

• Sad 1

(edited)
On 6/21/2022 at 6:21 PM, Ceecookie said:

For lower speed associated with city driving it's ok, coz there's still 200nm torque with speedy dsg speed.

Only when u go above 100km/h then the lack of power will be more obvious. 

Concur with both hands up.

Tested my 1.4T and indeed overtaking at higher speed is indeed lacking. The use of Sport mode is a must!!

Crushing at less than 200 is relatively good with minimum fuss. The last era of E211 1.4T is pretty decent unit and no jiak EO unlike most of its engines throughout the range.

Edited by Hamburger
↡ Advertisement