What do you look out for when buying a car to haul a family of 5+2?

BabyBlade

1. Budget and size of the car. Tbh there are not many 5+2 compact mpv/suv. I dont enjoy driving large mpv/suv for obvious reasons.

2. Versatility. Still got boot space even when you use the +2. For me I didnt want to add a roof box due to cost. Plus it is short term use like travel to M'sia. Can always rent the roof rack and roof box when you need it short term.

3. Ride height. A crossover/suv height will make moving in and out easy plus it wont break your back when you put your baby/toddler into the child seat.

4. Reliability. You are already busy taking care of your babies daily you dont need another troublesome "baby" to visit the car workshop to get smth not working fixed.

From my past experience you dont really need this kinda vehicle once your children are old enough to get into the car w/o help. I only used the car for about 5years. If you find car prices way too high now it is good to get used. I find that the +2 is not frequently used. So any compact or mid size suv will also work with some compromise.

With Toyota Wish, Honda Stream and Chevy Orlando no longer selling the choices now are Merc GLB, VW Touran or vag equivalent, Toyota Prius+(for me I dont like it cos it feels very dated and boring to drive), Toyota Sienta I wont recommend cos when the +2 seats are up you have no practical boot space. For PI models I dunno what they have to suit the priorities. 

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Cool - Have the head rest available in purple/white stripes and the kids would fight to sit in it!

shaak_ti_imv6.jpg.d49e59139083f5e663bf4b4471dfa092.jpg

😁

4fd56ff43e8d94306c724f280b2cb5ea--logo-inspiration-antlers.jpg

3912_7_l.jpg.2bc58b85b1577a092670ef98f1e69ca0.jpg

• Haha! 7

CULLINAN and BENTAYGA both also can consider

AD will give 2 or even 3 chairs inside boot 

Then 7 pax 1 driver just nice 

🙈🙉🙊

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

1. Budget and size of the car. Tbh there are not many 5+2 compact mpv/suv. I dont enjoy driving large mpv/suv for obvious reasons.

2. Versatility. Still got boot space even when you use the +2. For me I didnt want to add a roof box due to cost. Plus it is short term use like travel to M'sia. Can always rent the roof rack and roof box when you need it short term.

3. Ride height. A crossover/suv height will make moving in and out easy plus it wont break your back when you put your baby/toddler into the child seat.

4. Reliability. You are already busy taking care of your babies daily you dont need another troublesome "baby" to visit the car workshop to get smth not working fixed.

From my past experience you dont really need this kinda vehicle once your children are old enough to get into the car w/o help. I only used the car for about 5years. If you find car prices way too high now it is good to get used. I find that the +2 is not frequently used. So any compact or mid size suv will also work with some compromise.

With Toyota Wish, Honda Stream and Chevy Orlando no longer selling the choices now are Merc GLB, VW Touran or vag equivalent, Toyota Prius+(for me I dont like it cos it feels very dated and boring to drive), Toyota Sienta I wont recommend cos when the +2 seats are up you have no practical boot space. For PI models I dunno what they have to suit the priorities. 

sienta actually has pretty good boot space even with last 2 seats used. i dare say easily more space than a toyota wish,  prius+, stream

2 hours ago, Vratenza said:

TBH, it looks fancy but I really wonder how the airbag will deploy with this contraption in front of the MIL.....

😁 I guess that is exactly on wish list for his MIL @Jamesc

The airbag will explode and launch the tablet straight at my MIL's face.

Thanks @BabyBlade this is your best suggestion so far.

I am going down to put deposit now.

For car buying advice no one better than BB she works for SGcarMart after all.

:D

images-26.jpg.b48fd8b7956c2bf4d18347220d9311c6.jpg

• Haha! 2

(edited)

22 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

sienta actually has pretty good boot space even with last 2 seats used. i dare say easily more space than a toyota wish,  prius+, stream

How's the 3rd row legroom if comparing Wish and Sienta?

Edited by Beehive3783

Go for something with sliding doors for the ease of strapping kids into their child seats.

Regardless, a 5+2 MPV/SUV is not safe for the 3rd row occupants in the event of a rear end collision.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
41 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

How's the 3rd row legroom if comparing Wish and Sienta?

i would say its better in the sienta, you sit higher off the floor and can tuck your feet under the 2nd row.

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

i would say its better in the sienta, you sit higher off the floor and can tuck your feet under the 2nd row.

Thanks, I guess I would have to look at a Sienta in the flesh to have a feel for myself. You drove both Wish and Sienta before?

Still lot of choice actually, new or used. 

Brand New MPV

• Compact: Honda Freed, Perodua Aruz, Toyota Sienta 
  • Mid size: BMW 218 Gran Tourer, Citroen Grand C4 Space Touer, Peugeot 5008, Renault Grand Scenic, Toyota Prius+, VW Touran
  • Full size: Honda Odyssey, Honda Stepwagon, Nissan Serena, Seat Alhambra, Toyota Esquire / Noah / Voxy, VW Sharan 
  • Extra Large: Hyundai Staria, Kia Carnival, Maxis G10, Mercedes Ben V-Class, Nissan Elgrand, Toyota Alphard / Vellfire

Brand New 7 Seater SUV (non luxury make)

• Mid size: Honda CRV, Mitsubishi Outlander, Seat Tarraco, Skoda Kodiaq
  • Full size: Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento, Mazda CX-8
  • Large size: Hyundai Palisade
  • Praise 11

Twincharged
14 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Thanks, I guess I would have to look at a Sienta in the flesh to have a feel for myself. You drove both Wish and Sienta before?

Sat in sienta and drove wish many many times

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Get something practical w sliding doors if regularly carrying kid and trying to strap them into baby seats. It'll be the difference between a bad backache and chronic one

Can go back to a sporty low rider when they hv grown out of it and can get in and strap themselves into a regular car seat

Juz don't be a mofo parent n think wife's hands can replace a seat belt n treat the kid as a front airbag

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged

Thailand here got this car call Toyota Majesty, sure satisfactory😁

Or otherwise, can get 2 cars and a driver. Anytime easy. Haha

5 hours ago, Soya said:

Get something practical w sliding doors if regularly carrying kid and trying to strap them into baby seats. It'll be the difference between a bad backache and chronic one

Can go back to a sporty low rider when they hv grown out of it and can get in and strap themselves into a regular car seat

Juz don't be a mofo parent n think wife's hands can replace a seat belt n treat the kid as a front airbag

I support sliding doors for kiddy transport mobile. 

I don't want dings on my own car body. :D

• Haha! 2

do what sia this editor.

keep fd2r & buy 1 more car lah

sell away tiong chia , & drive mpv, will be in pain forever

↡ Advertisement