Jump to content

How can we save money when petrol prices rise above ceiling ?


Recommended Posts

Turbocharged

It's not a big news, the rise in petrol prices have been ongoing for month now going as high as S$4 per litre at Shell and Caltex. But as petrol prices have now hit a new high in Singapore, how can we as a driver save money?  

Here are a few tips I gathered that allowed me to save money on fuel:

- Driving at a constant speed - No revolutionary tip here, most drivers know that driving at constant speed allows you to save fuel as lesser acceleration means lesser fuel consumption, but remembering it will never hurt.

- Getting a petrol credit card - Most petrol cards allow you to save money on fuel, and some even allow up to 21.8% petrol savings. Here's a small bonus, you also get cashback and gifts when signing up. 

Here is the link to sgCarMart index for those who are interested:

https://www.sgcarmart.com/tools_tips/petrol_credit_card_index.php

- Setting a web alert for petrol prices changes - Knowledge is power, and you are never better served than by yourself. One look at your phone and you know which gas station to stop so that you can treat yourself to some fuel.

What about you guys any tips to share to save our wallet?

giphy.gif

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
(edited)

Go JB top up petrol. 

Do a hitch when in no hurry and there is one on your same route. 

Avoid long idling. 

Buy a hybrid when changing next car. 

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

Adding on a few more

  1. Increase tire pressures to reduce rolling resistance
  2. Avoid travelling during peak hours to reduce stop/go situations
  3. If your car has stop/go engine cut-off, use it. I know most people disable it automatically.
  4. If its cool outside (e.g. at night) don't use the aircon. Instant 10-20% gain in fuel economy
  5. Plan your trips, make one combined trip rather than multiple short trips. Cars use much more fuel during a cold start.
  6. Get rid of excess weight (like jamesc's MIL)

 

  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

@Strat Indeed, saving money but with a great cost of time

  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbocharged

@Macrosszero Didn't think about the tire pressure, will check that one out ! As for the excess weigh I might have a way to reduce it but I'm not sure my favorite passenger is gonna like the cut off...😅

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
24 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Adding on a few more

  1. Increase tire pressures to reduce rolling resistance
  2. Avoid travelling during peak hours to reduce stop/go situations
  3. If your car has stop/go engine cut-off, use it. I know most people disable it automatically.
  4. If its cool outside (e.g. at night) don't use the aircon. Instant 10-20% gain in fuel economy
  5. Plan your trips, make one combined trip rather than multiple short trips. Cars use much more fuel during a cold start.
  6. Get rid of excess weight (like jamesc's MIL)

 

Point 4..only effective if Windows are close...open Windows increase Air Drag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
Just now, dcb said:

@Macrosszero Didn't think about the tire pressure, will check that one out ! As for the excess weigh I might have a way to reduce it but I'm not sure my favorite passenger is gonna like the cut off...😅

 

10% higher pressure.should be fine..33psi to 36psi.

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

10% higher pressure.should be fine..33psi to 36psi.

That's what I do and also remember to rotate tires.

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
7 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Point 4..only effective if Windows are close...open Windows increase Air Drag.

some drag, but the savings from not running the compressor is much more

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Point 4..only effective if Windows are close...open Windows increase Air Drag.

You can still run the fan or open the vents to let in outside air, as long as the compressor doesn't run. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...