Road trip to M'sia post Covid

_Sam_

I drove to malacca and back a few weeks back. Sincerely amazed how well maintained the NSHW is, our LTA maintained roads these days full of digging and anyhow patching and lane closures, I forgot how nice open roads are like!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

On 11/24/2022 at 11:01 PM, yellowshaun said:

I drove to malacca and back a few weeks back. Sincerely amazed how well maintained the NSHW is, our LTA maintained roads these days full of digging and anyhow patching and lane closures, I forgot how nice open roads are like!

More like LTA contractor maintained, those LTA engineer sit in office see photographs (proof of completion). Each and every one of the patch these days will guaranteed your car to bump.

My general take on since MY reopened the causeways,

1. Apr to May 22:: Easy to cross, little to almost no jams.

Though I only went up JB 2 times in this period, so hard to tell the full picture.

2. June 22: Also relatively easy to cross the customs. Though NSHW is a bit busy. Many cars, Malaysian cars.  Travel all the way up to Penang, staggered along Perak though as I visit my MIL and FIL.

3. Sept 22: Fwah, jams on causeways leow. NSHW even busier. To Perak,

4. Oct till now: Jams even in the early mornings. NSHW. Went Desaru and another recent trip to Kluang and Port Dickson.  NSHW super busy as well. Customs jams kinda worse than pre-covid.

My take, well, the car population in Malaysia is exploding. A family of 4 will have 4 cars and they prob jio lim kopi at a spot and 4 cars will ride out. hee.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

Anyone tried road trip to Penang?

I just returned from short one to Johor (Ayer hitam area) and JB

yes i usually go to Penang a few times each year. Exception was the two covid years when land borders were closed. 

the highway north of KL is much more interesting (read varied) than the stretch between KL and Johor. 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

yes i usually go to Penang a few times each year. Exception was the two covid years when land borders were closed. 

the highway north of KL is much more interesting (read varied) than the stretch between KL and Johor. 

Highway north of KL usually has road works on weekdays.

It is advisable to use Waze.

I was routed out of NSHW to back road and back to NSHW.

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Highway north of KL usually has road works on weekdays.

It is advisable to use Waze.

I was routed out of NSHW to back road and back to NSHW.

i got bored of NSHW liao.

last couple of drives i deliberately avoided NSHW. Went small roads. Took a bit more time but more interesting

but yes, Waze is practically essential for driving in Msia. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

i got bored of NSHW liao.

last couple of drives i deliberately avoided NSHW. Went small roads. Took a bit more time but more interesting

but yes, Waze is practically essential for driving in Msia. 

Last month, I drove from Ipoh towards a small town which is the northern point of West Coast Highway.

It takes more time to reach KL but scenery is different.

The only downside is NO TRAFFIC on the stretch in Perak.

Not advisable to use it in late afternoon.

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Is it still worth to drive to Changi Jetty and go to desaru from there ? Or is that no longer available.

No longer available for a long long long long time

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Road works on NSHW AH1 and 2 is a pain in the neck. Causing bottle necks and valuable time wasted with the jam it caused.

It is quite normal btw KL and Ipoh.  It is less so btw KL and JB.

5 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Is it still worth to drive to Changi Jetty and go to desaru from there ? Or is that no longer available.

u mean self-drive car onto car ferry? no more liao. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

It is quite normal btw KL and Ipoh.  It is less so btw KL and JB.

actually it should be the same right? in terms of the maintenance schedule. Unless it has to do with wear rate being higher on E1 than E2?

i've stopped taking note of the location lol

↡ Advertisement