Leases expiring in 2026 for Ubi's "automotive belt"

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/car-dealers-in-ubi-motor-belt-seek-extension-to-expiring-leases

Leases for several car showrooms in the Kampong Ubi "motor belt" will be expiring from next year, and companies are scrambling for extensions.

Among the half a dozen or so soon-to-expire leases is one held by Automobile Megamart, which operates an eight-storey complex housing more than 100 new car companies, used car dealerships and parallel importers.

Its 30-year lease runs out in 2026, and stakeholders have set in motion an appeal for an extension.

Another affected property is the Opel showroom held by the Alpine group. Like all others interviewed, Alpine Group managing director Albert Pang said he intends to apply for an extension.

"After Leng Kee, this is Singapore's motor belt," Mr Pang said, referring to the Leng Kee-Alexandra Road car showroom district. "Of course we want to stay if we can."

Directly opposite his showroom is Sime Darby's Performance Premium Selection used car complex, which recently had its lease extended till 2040.

aml_big_2.jpg.23bacb443781a07a0b5a1abe1d8a21db.jpgZPPHO.96968671.R800X800.jpg.63b641378a8f890159ab6b7cc5670a06.jpgaml_big_8.jpg.44de663dd2cf22659e601b51fb2720f7.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supercharged

Govt should renew, at least 10 years more.

So wasteful of materials and money to keep on tearing down and rebuilding.

• Praise 5

(edited)

I personally find having the Leng Lee automotive belt is good enough for the entire Singapore population. It is located quite in the central (OK, leaning more towards the west) and even potential buyer from say Tampines and Pasir Ris would not have to drive anything more than 25km to reach the various showrooms situated at Leng Kee. 

There is one thing I seriously hope the relevant authorities would consider when designating the next automotive belt in the East (after taking back all the lands at Ubi for residential development, which should be part of the major revamp after relocation of Paya Lebar airbase), is to have a a suitable infrastructure / road for customers to do a proper test drive. 

I always find test driving a car at relatively high speed of over 80Kmh at a densely populated housing estate posing a certain degree of hazard to the other road users and pedestrian around the vicinity. And for buyer of fast car, by the time they change to 3rd gear, speed is likely to exceed 100kmh, and that is not a proper test drive in anyway.

Anyone remember Dr. M jonce joked that before changing to 5th gear, car in Singapore would already ended up in the sea? 

Edited by SGCM928
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

Govt should renew, at least 10 years more.

So wasteful of materials and money to keep on tearing down and rebuilding.

Likely take back some. Else usage for downtown line will be low. 
Used car showrooms can be at any corner of sg as long as it is near a MRT. 
new cars are limited by coe quota. Got showroom no showroom for new cars, will still sell somehow. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Actually the consignment model makes perfect sense. Dealer no need to carry expensive inventory n rental. No different from how property agents operate n just take a small % commission 

But sadly a few greedy cowboys out there totally spoiled the game for everyone 

5 minutes ago, Soya said:

Actually the consignment model makes perfect sense. Dealer no need to carry expensive inventory n rental. No different from how property agents operate n just take a small % commission 

But sadly a few greedy cowboys out there totally spoiled the game for everyone 

Importer don’t want to keep stock la

Supersonic
Just now, inlinesix said:

Importer don’t want to keep stock la

I'm talking abt used car la

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, SGCM928 said:

I personally find having the Leng Lee automotive belt is good enough for the entire Singapore population. It is located quite in the central (OK, leaning more towards the west) and even potential buyer from say Tampines and Pasir Ris would not have to drive anything more than 25km to reach the various showrooms situated at Leng Kee. 

There is one thing I seriously hope the relevant authorities would consider when designating the next automotive belt in the East (after taking back all the lands at Ubi for residential development, which should be part of the major revamp after relocation of Paya Lebar airbase), is to have a a suitable infrastructure / road for customers to do a proper test drive. 

I always find test driving a car at relatively high speed of over 80Kmh at a densely populated housing estate posing a certain degree of hazard to the other road users and pedestrian around the vicinity. And for buyer of fast car, by the time they change to 3rd gear, speed is likely to exceed 100kmh, and that is not a proper test drive in anyway.

Anyone remember Dr. M jonce joked that before changing to 5th gear, car in Singapore would already ended up in the sea? 

Nobody ask you test drive so fast,i test drive my 2009 370z & 2018 M240i only at 60Km/h.

• Haha! 4

Chances are slim to maybe because they are under the landing path of PLAB and with that being slated to move out in the 30s, they may only be granted a temporary extension. Once the airbase is moved out, the height restrictions in the area will be lifted and will no longer be merely 5-8 stories tall. At that time, letting these dealerships squat en-situ will be a waste of land. 

• Praise 3

Supersonic
7 hours ago, SGCM928 said:

From Tampines and Pasir Ris to Leng Kee not more than 25km? Take what route from east to Leng Kee?

If Ubi no longer an automotive belt, find a bit wasted. Since this place is a good place to shop for used car. Unlike Leng Kee there, more for brand new car. Since the used car in The Grandstand will be gone soon, so really left not many places to find used car dealers.

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

From Tampines and Pasir Ris to Leng Kee not more than 25km? Take what route from east to Leng Kee?

If Ubi no longer an automotive belt, find a bit wasted. Since this place is a good place to shop for used car. Unlike Leng Kee there, more for brand new car. Since the used car in The Grandstand will be gone soon, so really left not many places to find used car dealers.

Some enterprising used car dealers are operating out of HDB multistorey carparks and marketing their stock through SGCarmart and Carousell. 

Brick and mortar used car dealers will become increasingly a thing of the past, especially when you often encounter ads that request you to make an appointment to view because the car is on consignment. 

What's the point of renting a space when you can sell a car without?

• Praise 4

Supersonic
7 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Likely take back some. Else usage for downtown line will be low. 
Used car showrooms can be at any corner of sg as long as it is near a MRT. 
new cars are limited by coe quota. Got showroom no showroom for new cars, will still sell somehow. 

Ubi Automobile Megamart that area indeed good to build BTOs, since now there got MRT. Since it is near to ubi HDB, good to redevelop the area into residential, esp now you see they vacant many area to build so many BTOs. Last time this area no MRT, so it would be a bit ulu.

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, SGCM928 said:

How is that enough? You got to think further since there are authorized car dealers workshops within the belt. Car owners in the East with warranty have to go how far to service their cars?

Internal Moderator

As an industry person and a used car buyer myself, "I never bought a new car before". 

Ubi should stay. The ecosystem for dealers is there. A stone throws away at Ubi road 4, there is tons of workshops for the dealer to get their car spruce up. 

Ubi is like Sim Lim to the PC world

leng kee is like Funan to the PC world. 

They cater to a different group of market. It will spoil the experience if all the clientele goes to the same place and buy cars. The road will get congested. 

"Until we have an online shopping mode that guarantees our purchases, brick and mortar shop must be here for the consumers." - KobayashiGT. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11