No more Nikons... The End Of A Beautiful Era... don't make it too snappy

therock

(edited)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/07/13/business/corporate-business/nikon-slr-production-stopped/?fbclid=IwAR3fVSes-D_U9ImwEUV8D9APQWlzU7QiNNGUt_XNm5hzfY2W8VimOD114fw

Nikon has stopped developing new digital single-lens reflex cameras because of falling sales, according to informed sources.

Nikon’s SLR cameras have enjoyed support from professionals and enthusiasts for over six decades since its first film SLR camera hit the market in 1959.

The company will focus on mirrorless cameras, which is a growing segment, the sources said.

Nikon has not released any new SLR camera since the launch of the D6 in June 2020.

In 2021, the company announced plans to terminate its domestic SLR camera production and transfer the operations to Thailand.

The company will continue sales of existing products and customer support services, the sources said, adding that Nikon may resume development of SLR cameras in the future.

Nikon’s SLR cameras, along with those of Canon, hold a large share of the global market.

But SLR cameras are generally struggling amid the spread of smartphones with high-definition cameras and the popularity of small, lightweight mirrorless cameras.

Due to their light weight and ability to snap many consecutive shots, mirrorless cameras have gained popularity among professional photographers covering sporting events including the Tokyo Olympics in the summer of 2021.

In 2020, global shipments of mirrorless cameras by Japanese companies exceeded those of SLR cameras for the first time, according to the Camera & Imaging Products Association.

Mirrorless cameras accounted for 37% of all digital cameras shipped globally in 2021, while the share of SLR cameras was 26%, the association said.

That's sad....

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
29 minutes ago, therock said:

handphone cameras kill compact cameras, mirrorless kill DSLRs. No more DSLR but still have mirrorless. My D750 will become a collector item soon🤣. DSLR allows quick focus lock on, not sure if mirrorless could do the same. Hope all the F2.8 F mount lens can still be used on mirrorless, otherwise that will be another buy buy $bye   $bye of new len$e$. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

I have the d600 and previously the D90. I usually just use it for the cny family portrait cos I like bounce flash effect. But this year just use my camera phone. 

No point in getting mirror less as computational photography has come a long way and not that a big photography buff. 

Sad day. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

handphone cameras kill compact cameras, mirrorless kill DSLRs. No more DSLR but still have mirrorless. My D750 will become a collector item soon🤣. DSLR allows quick focus lock on, not sure if mirrorless could do the same. Hope all the F2.8 F mount lens can still be used on mirrorless, otherwise that will be another buy buy $bye   $bye of new len$e$. 

I have that.. you'll need an adaptor.. 
I take it with me on vacations, but for daily shots, it's my iphone because I can whip it out and shoot right away... 
A while back, some friends who knew I am into Nikons, gave me their cameras..

So my SLR collection includes the FM2, FG, FA, FE2 along with some very choice lens... another friend who was moving house passed me his 2.8 80-200 AF Nikkor and I have a few Micro lenses that the office was disposing off when they converted to digital.. 

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, therock said:

I have that.. you'll need an adaptor.. 
I take it with me on vacations, but for daily shots, it's my iphone because I can whip it out and shoot right away... 
A while back, some friends who knew I am into Nikons, gave me their cameras..

So my SLR collection includes the FM2, FG, FA, FE2 along with some very choice lens... another friend who was moving house passed me his 2.8 80-200 AF Nikkor and I have a few Micro lenses that the office was disposing off when they converted to digital.. 

Haha you have a huge invetory of collection,  didnt notice your big dehumidifier cabinet the other time. The ring for manul/auto focus lock of the F2.8 80-200  can break easily, be careful with it.

4 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Haha you have a huge invetory of collection,  didnt notice your big dehumidifier cabinet the other time. The ring for manul/auto focus lock of the F2.8 80-200  can break easily, be careful with it.

I have two cabinets, Toyo Living - bought one in school in the 90s, still works.. 

5 minutes ago, therock said:

I have two cabinets, Toyo Living - bought one in school in the 90s, still works.. 

If anyone wants a simple solution, try this, damp chaser. Can install it in your wardrobe,  no need to be  air tight, consume little electircity, work fairly well in keeping your stuff dry. 

https://www.amazon.sg/Dampp-Chaser-Storage-DeHumidifier-24-Inch/dp/B005HVRH26/ref=asc_df_B005HVRH26/?tag=sgsmrtphshopg-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=594364720307&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12982375957203721017&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9062520&hvtargid=pla-307382147926&psc=1

• Praise 1

Looks nice bro, but $56 + $18 shipping - add a bit more cash and I get a dehumidifier 🙂

23 minutes ago, Starry said:

Can mirrorless take exposure of say 30 minutes  of dark skies with very little noise?

Yes it can! 

24 minutes ago, Starry said:

Can mirrorless take exposure of say 30 minutes  of dark skies with very little noise?

Get a really good model with a good sensor..

There are more important factors, eg a rock solid tripod as there can be wind, make sure there's no light leak and a good remote release..

Supersonic

Lol....the day has finally come. Soon, less ppl will be looking like a japanese tourist from the 80s during hols

• Haha! 2

I used to lug my DSLR for overseas travel. Up to 5 years ago, I find the weight troublesome. Switched to a mirror less also ended up using iPhone purely for the convenience of direct up load onto cloud , sharing on social media, WhatsApp etc.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

For a really scenic place, I'll have the DSLR in a bag, my mirrorless as a backup - wife knows how to use it, and my iPhone.. 

When you're driving, only the DSLR can capture the pictures on the move and mine has a 28-300 zoom...