No more Nikons... The End Of A Beautiful Era... don't make it too snappy

therock

Supercharged
23 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

You will need the Astro  version of the cameras with "a" suffix. These are more sensitive to different wavelengths. 

Please post your photos like NASA! 

With "a" suffix?  Wah Sinagpore where to find sia?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

35 minutes ago, Starry said:

I still got a Canon D40. Is this thing still worth anything and I wonder can a smartphone beat it to a pulp?

I sold Nikon DSLR long long time ago after using Fuji X-100.

Still got Museum Piece in Dry Case, Nikon SLR camera.

Full frame + Mirrorless 👍🏻

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Starry said:

Can mirrorless take exposure of say 30 minutes  of dark skies with very little noise?

Most mirrorless are performing better than their DSLR counterpart. Mainly because both canon and Nikon are moving their r&d into mirrorless over dslr. Mirrorless definitely has many advantage (not weight) over dslr. The only disadvantage I will say is battery life. Shutter speed and auto focus are usually better in mirrorless.

Noise for long exposure is usually due to heat generated at the sensor. As there are many factors for heat dispersion, it's hard to say which system is better. But I do find my 6d noiser than my em5 for star trails shots. I can't say for sure as I have only tried testing both system side by side twice overseas as it is a pita to lug 2 systems during a vacation. Lol.

• Praise 3

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Most mirrorless are performing better than their DSLR counterpart. Mainly because both canon and Nikon are moving their r&d into mirrorless over dslr. Mirrorless definitely has many advantage (not weight) over dslr. The only disadvantage I will say is battery life. Shutter speed and auto focus are usually better in mirrorless.

Noise for long exposure is usually due to heat generated at the sensor. As there are many factors for heat dispersion, it's hard to say which system is better. But I do find my 6d noiser than my em5 for star trails shots. I can't say for sure as I have only tried testing both system side by side twice overseas as it is a pita to lug 2 systems during a vacation. Lol.

I am thinking of strapping an ice-pack on the camera body to reduce the heat. Dunno will work or not.. 😁

2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

I thought the AF was the principal superiority of SLRs? Larger sensor used to be the other and bigger lens choices..

Turbocharged

I started with Nikon D300 and then move to D610. Not only is the sensor but the lenses are the ones making the difference. Try a flying bird 400 meters away and you will know why. 😆

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, therock said:

I thought the AF was the principal superiority of SLRs? Larger sensor used to be the other and bigger lens choices..

In low light I will say mirrorless is faster and more accurate. Maybe the ibis in the em5 helps in sharper shots as well. 

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

handphone cameras kill compact cameras, mirrorless kill DSLRs. No more DSLR but still have mirrorless. My D750 will become a collector item soon🤣. DSLR allows quick focus lock on, not sure if mirrorless could do the same. Hope all the F2.8 F mount lens can still be used on mirrorless, otherwise that will be another buy buy $bye   $bye of new len$e$. 

But everything can be photoshop right? :grin:

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I have been using mirrorless for some time.

Sold off DSLR.

Sony RX-1👍🏻

Sony eye af is god mode stuff 💪

• Praise 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, therock said:

Looks nice bro, but $56 + $18 shipping - add a bit more cash and I get a dehumidifier 🙂

The good thing about this device is that one can install it in the wardrobe, the allowable storage volume is a lot bigger than that of a dehumidifier, and it does not need to be air tight. What it does is it raises the temperature of the particular wardrobe higher to keep the space dry.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
11 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Started with Canon EOS 300D, my 350D still in dry cabinet.

My favorite lens is still the prime 50mm and 70-200mm.

That Canon EOS 300D was my first DSLR too.
After a few months of buying, downloaded a "hacked" firmware to de-cripple the official artificially handicapped ISO ceiling of 1600 and expanded it to 3200.😄 

13 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I have the d600 and previously the D90. I usually just use it for the cny family portrait cos I like bounce flash effect. But this year just use my camera phone. 

No point in getting mirror less as computational photography has come a long way and not that a big photography buff. 

Sad day. 

That is true, the good thing abt my nikon is i  can use wireless flash. the flash is useful under some challenging lighthing condition, otherwise 95%of the time no need flash. One thing i like about nikon flash is its exposure accuracy. But these days i use my s22 ultra more often, so convenient and fairly good. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I never support Nikon since my younger days when I start to pick up photography. I am a true Canon supporter and has been on the 5 series all the time. 

But it is a true fact SLR will become the thing in the past since mirrorless comes out and probably pushout with more new tech coming along the way

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, Victor68 said:

I started with Nikon D300 and then move to D610. Not only is the sensor but the lenses are the ones making the difference. Try a flying bird 400 meters away and you will know why. 😆

You have 1000mm lens and 2x tele converter?😅

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

You have 1000mm lens and 2x tele converter?😅

I thought iphone can do the trick? 😆

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
16 minutes ago, Arogab said:

I never support Nikon since my younger days when I start to pick up photography. I am a true Canon supporter and has been on the 5 series all the time. 

But it is a true fact SLR will become the thing in the past since mirrorless comes out and probably pushout with more new tech coming along the way

Any reasons? To me both are the same except once you are used to a particular brand, to switch will takes a bit of adjustment. More importantly, both have good range of lenses and easy to buy from pre-owned. All my gears are pre-owned. Poor man playing with rich man toys lor.

↡ Advertisement