BYD Atto 3 Electric aka BYD Yuan Plus arrives in Singapore. Launch price of $178,888.

BabyBlade

BYD is one of the more reputable automotive manufacturer in China, which have invested substantial amount in R&D, and their blade battery is the best testimonial.

Beside Toyota, they also have joint venture and partnership with other manufacturers, such as Mercedes, FAW, Chang'An, Shell, etc. 

Daimler and BYD agree on future setup of DENZA joint venture

BYD, FAW, Establish Joint Venture with Registered Capital of $157 Million

BYD and Changan Automobile launch groundbreaking battery joint venture

BYD says partners up with Shell for ventures in China, Europe

Back to the Atto 3, while the car is very well spec'ed and look equally good, do take note that it has $0 PARF value (meaning straight line depreciation is ~$18K p.a., which is similar to say the BMW X1 sDrive18i and Mercedes GLA180). 

It also has a relatively high road tax of $1,795 (inclusive of the $700 AFC from 2023 onwards), which is equivalent to that of a 2.5L engine.

Good product, wrong market. Just like the Nissan Sakura EV Kei car, which would attract a whopping $1,013 road tax, no thanks to the unfavourable road tax structure. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

11 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

BYD is one of the more reputable automotive manufacturer in China, which have invested substantial amount in R&D, and their blade battery is the best testimonial.

Beside Toyota, they also have joint venture and partnership with other manufacturers, such as Mercedes, FAW, Chang'An, Shell, etc. 

Daimler and BYD agree on future setup of DENZA joint venture

BYD, FAW, Establish Joint Venture with Registered Capital of $157 Million

BYD and Changan Automobile launch groundbreaking battery joint venture

BYD says partners up with Shell for ventures in China, Europe

Back to the Atto 3, while the car is very well spec'ed and look equally good, do take note that it has $0 PARF value (meaning straight line depreciation is ~$18K p.a., which is similar to say the BMW X1 sDrive18i and Mercedes GLA180). 

It also has a relatively high road tax of $1,795 (inclusive of the $700 AFC from 2023 onwards), which is equivalent to that of a 2.5L engine.

Good product, wrong market. Just like the Nissan Sakura EV Kei car, which would attract a whopping $1,013 road tax, no thanks to the unfavourable road tax structure. 

The tax structure for EVs is beyond comprehensible for mere mortals like me 😂.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

@Wolfverine Becos govt can't tax u in petrol (our oil actually has lots of taxes) so they directly tax u outright. Don't think petrol cars pay lesser tax, it's just factor into petrol cost. Our Govt not stupid one.

6 hours ago, Darkseed73 said:

@Wolfverine Becos govt can't tax u in petrol (our oil actually has lots of taxes) so they directly tax u outright. Don't think petrol cars pay lesser tax, it's just factor into petrol cost. Our Govt not stupid one.

I think most if not all here understand your point and the stands of our government. 

BUT to say that we are doing these to protect the environment is a kind of BS to me. If one is thinking of causing min. harm to our mother earth, they should be looking at encouraging the choice of energy efficient car (e.g. Kei car) instead.

By slapping a AFC of $700, which translate to a fuel tax (@$0.66/ltr) for 1,061 litres of petrol, aren't we encouraging the owner to drive more so as to ripe the saving?

In the case of Atto 3, comparing to say a conventional 1.5L TC petrol driven SUV, where the road tax would be not more than $685/year, the owner would ended up paying $1,110 "extra" (equivalent to petrol tax for 1,682 litres of petrol).

Looking at the above, the real winner is our government coffers. 

• Praise 9

Just sharing a fact, 

Ferrari Roma, 3.9L V8 twin turbo with 612hp. VES Band C2 emissions. Annual road tax is $3.7k-ish.

Audi RS e-Tron GT, dual motors with 590hp. VES Band A1 emissions. Annual road tax is $6k-ish. 

So yes, that's how convoluted it is here. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I think most if not all here understand your point and the stands of our government. 

BUT to say that we are doing these to protect the environment is a kind of BS to me. If one is thinking of causing min. harm to our mother earth, they should be looking at encouraging the choice of energy efficient car (e.g. Kei car) instead.

By slapping a AFC of $700, which translate to a fuel tax (@$0.66/ltr) for 1,061 litres of petrol, aren't we encouraging the owner to drive more so as to ripe the saving?

In the case of Atto 3, comparing to say a conventional 1.5L TC petrol driven SUV, where the road tax would be not more than $685/year, the owner would ended up paying $1,110 "extra" (equivalent to petrol tax for 1,682 litres of petrol).

totally agree. most of our green initiatives by gahmen is just a propaganda to show to the world our efforts and also to chance to tax the people more. Right now i dont see any benefits to change to EV except for the instant torque. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

Supercharged
5 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

totally agree. most of our green initiatives by gahmen is just a propaganda to show to the world our efforts and also to chance to tax the people more. Right now i dont see any benefits to change to EV except for the instant torque. 

Pay more to buy, ganna tax more and so little infrastructure to charge. Why buy? 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Just sharing a fact, 

Ferrari Roma, 3.9L V8 twin turbo with 612hp. VES Band C2 emissions. Annual road tax is $3.7k-ish.

Audi RS e-Tron GT, dual motors with 590hp. VES Band A1 emissions. Annual road tax is $6k-ish. 

They will have  a solution - up the 3,9L road tax to 6Kiesh! [laugh]

• Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Just sharing a fact, 

Using Ferrari as an example, the 819 horsepower (611 KW) 296 GTB PHV 3.0L is currently paying an annual road tax of $2,376

In the near future when Ferrari switch to full electric, an equivalent power EV model is going to attract a road tax of $9,044 

That's is almost a 4 fold jump! 

OK, let talk about bread and butter model. As EV is substantially heavier than conventional car running on petrol or diesel, it will have a higher horsepower to lug the extra weight. And so it is not uncommon to see these B&B models with at least 140 horsepower, which attract a road tax equivalent of a 2.3L engine... 

33 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

And once we have a full network of EV charging stations, I am guessing a surcharge will be implemented at these charging stations, just like levy on hotels during the F1 race. 

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Using Ferrari as an example, the 819 horsepower (611 KW) 296 GTB PHV 3.0L is currently paying an annual road tax of $2,376

In the near future when Ferrari switch to full electric, an equivalent power EV model is going to attract a road tax of $9,044 

That's is almost a 4 fold jump! 

OK, let talk about bread and butter model. As EV is substantially heavier than conventional car running on petrol or diesel, it will have a higher horsepower to lug the extra weight. And so it is not uncommon to see these B&B models with at least 140 horsepower, which attract a road tax equivalent of a 2.3L engine... 

And once we have a full network of EV charging stations, I am guessing a surcharge will be implemented at these charging stations, just like levy on hotels during the F1 race. 

With EVs, it's sooner or later that the LTA will plug the loophole in with EVs get their power and range upgraded just by a software upgrade over the air.

Bumping up power on EVs via software upgrade is akin to cheating ah gong's road tax revenue 😆

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

8 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

It’s always been.  
muayhahaha

the title will now need to be updated with the latest pricing after the Jul 2nd round COE results - up up and away 🤣! $184,888 now!

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 12.23.34 AM.png

• Haha! 6

Twincharged

There is also a much higher insurance premium, as many cannot repair EVs. Especially felt on more Bb ev. Another whammy. 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Wolfverine said:

the title will now need to be updated with the latest pricing after the Jul 2nd round COE results - up up and away 🤣! $184,888 now!

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 12.23.34 AM.png

Got 4 not auspicious 🤭

• Haha! 3

On 7/22/2022 at 6:17 AM, Mkl22 said:

There is also a much higher insurance premium, as many cannot repair EVs. Especially felt on more Bb ev. Another whammy. 

how much on average the insurance  for say Tesla 3 single motor vs Tesla 3 dual motor?