China national, 38, gets 8 weeks' jail for offering S$100 bribe to 3 S'pore police officers & saying it isn't a big enough amount to be real bribe

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

bribe-police-singapore-china-national.jp

Source: https://mothership.sg/2022/07/china-national-singapore-bribe-police/

A 38-year-old man, a China national, was on July 18 sentenced to eight weeks' jail in Singapore for trying to bribe three traffic police officers with S$100 "coffee money" after he was suspected of drink-driving, CNA, Straits Times and Today reported.

He did this because he did not want to miss his flight back to China the next day.

He was convicted on June 21 at the end of a five-day trial on three charges of corruptly offering S$100 in cash to the officers.

Han had claimed during the trial that he was offering the money as payment for a fine.

The prosecution later proved that he knew that he was offering a bribe.

What happened

On Dec. 3, 2019, Han Shaolu was resting in his parked car at an open-space car park in Geylang when two officers approached him, ST reported.

Court documents stated that two officers were sent to the open-air car park at Geylang Lorong 31 between 11.30pm and 11.45pm on Dec. 3, 2019 to attend to a case of possible drink-driving when they encountered Han driving a black Toyota Harrier, Today reported.

Han responded in Mandarin when he was asked questions in English, resulting in the police officers being unable to understand him.

One police officer retrieved a breathalyser when Han was noticed to have smelled of alcohol.

Waved money around

ST reported that Han took out his identification cards and two S$50 notes and waved them at both officers.

A third officer was put on a call to translate what Han was saying.

The third officer then came to understand that the S$100 was an offer to the two officers to give Han a chance and let him go, and the amount could be raised to "S$150", Today reported.

One of the officers on the scene told the officer over the phone to inform Han he would be arrested for bribery.

Third officer arrived

The officers’ team leader was also informed and he made his way to the car park and asked Han if he had offered money to the officers, ST reported.

Han admitted he did but asked to be let go as he said it was not serious, and even offered the money to the third officer.

Han added that S$100 was not a bribe as the amount had to be in thousands of dollars before being "considered a bribe" in China, court documents stated, as reported by ST.

The third officer at the scene told Han that even 20 cents would constitute a bribe.

CPIB statement

The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) said in a news release that the officers did not accept the bribe, and reported the case to CPIB.

Han was charged in court for offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

Anyone who is convicted of a corruption offence can be jailed up to five years, fined up to S$100,000, or both.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 10

9 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

bribe-police-singapore-china-national.jp

Source: https://mothership.sg/2022/07/china-national-singapore-bribe-police/

A 38-year-old man, a China national, was on July 18 sentenced to eight weeks' jail in Singapore for trying to bribe three traffic police officers with S$100 "coffee money" after he was suspected of drink-driving, CNA, Straits Times and Today reported.

He did this because he did not want to miss his flight back to China the next day.

He was convicted on June 21 at the end of a five-day trial on three charges of corruptly offering S$100 in cash to the officers.

Han had claimed during the trial that he was offering the money as payment for a fine.

The prosecution later proved that he knew that he was offering a bribe.

What happened

On Dec. 3, 2019, Han Shaolu was resting in his parked car at an open-space car park in Geylang when two officers approached him, ST reported.

Court documents stated that two officers were sent to the open-air car park at Geylang Lorong 31 between 11.30pm and 11.45pm on Dec. 3, 2019 to attend to a case of possible drink-driving when they encountered Han driving a black Toyota Harrier, Today reported.

Han responded in Mandarin when he was asked questions in English, resulting in the police officers being unable to understand him.

One police officer retrieved a breathalyser when Han was noticed to have smelled of alcohol.

Waved money around

ST reported that Han took out his identification cards and two S$50 notes and waved them at both officers.

A third officer was put on a call to translate what Han was saying.

The third officer then came to understand that the S$100 was an offer to the two officers to give Han a chance and let him go, and the amount could be raised to "S$150", Today reported.

One of the officers on the scene told the officer over the phone to inform Han he would be arrested for bribery.

Third officer arrived

The officers’ team leader was also informed and he made his way to the car park and asked Han if he had offered money to the officers, ST reported.

Han admitted he did but asked to be let go as he said it was not serious, and even offered the money to the third officer.

Han added that S$100 was not a bribe as the amount had to be in thousands of dollars before being "considered a bribe" in China, court documents stated, as reported by ST.

The third officer at the scene told Han that even 20 cents would constitute a bribe.

CPIB statement

The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) said in a news release that the officers did not accept the bribe, and reported the case to CPIB.

Han was charged in court for offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

Anyone who is convicted of a corruption offence can be jailed up to five years, fined up to S$100,000, or both.

So looks  like in the end he avoided the drink driving charge.😀

• Shocked 1

Internal Moderator
Just now, Ct3833 said:

Oh! this is a decoy! well done. well done. 

This guy got study suntzu warfare one. Don't play play. hahaha 

• Haha! 5

Han added that S$100 was not a bribe as the amount had to be in thousands of dollars before being "considered a bribe" in China, court documents stated, as reported by ST.

If Singkie tell the Singapore court that when he go up North and get caught for speeding, paying RM150 to the polis officer is a cash settlement for the fine.... Boleh? 

:D

• Haha! 4

18 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I think he tio both,  no way he can escape with only one charge,  unless he passed the breathalyser test.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
32 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I am quite sure he goes changi he will bribe the inmate to do all his chores too. 🤣

He is so rich siah? What he do in sg?

• Haha! 2

This M'sian rider lagi best. This trial was 2 months ago.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/drunk-driver-jail-fine-bribe-traffic-police-officer-2678061

22de10b8-6bb3-4ced-9bed-dc209f632542.jpe

He's so drunk he at first slip $5 to the tp officer. He must have thought he was in M'sia. Anyway he wasnt sober to think.

Later when he is more sober he offered $50(he is assuming the correct rate) to the sg tp officer. LoL...

• Haha! 11

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, 13177 said:

He is so rich siah? What he do in sg?

I dunno. I am not friend with mr suntzu. hahaha. 

• Haha! 1

"On Dec. 3, 2019, Han Shaolu was resting in his parked car at an open-space car park in Geylang when two officers approached him, ST reported".

Resting inside the car.   Was he driven back by the valet?  🤔

Wrong move. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Han added that S$100 was not a bribe as the amount had to be in thousands of dollars before being "considered a bribe" in China, court documents stated, as reported by ST.

If Singkie tell the Singapore court that when he go up North and get caught for speeding, paying RM150 to the polis officer is a cash settlement for the fine.... Boleh? 

Boleh boleh.  

I was offered RM600 for 10 speeding summons at a road block,  but ended up paying RM150 to knock off 3 after some "discussion" with the polis. [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
21 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

really? need to check with Xi Jinping on this claim 😁

8 weeks jail?

My tax dollars used to feed him for 8 weeks?

Please lah just jail him 14 days

and confiscate his car.

Everybody will be happy with 1 more COE!

And make him feel at home 

just like if he was in China!

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

47 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Boleh boleh.  

I was offered RM600 for 10 speeding summons at a road block,  but ended up paying RM150 to knock off 3 after some "discussion" with the polis. [:p][laugh][laugh]

Wow! Great savings...didn't know they also have GSS discount ...grouped speeding summons 😁

1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

That's what I was offered along nshw...i said just issue me the summon and I'd pay full at custom...no need any discount...off I went without any discount or summon 😁

• Praise 1

no one in MY pay off their parking, traffic summons leh.... normally they will wait for big occasions or during errection period, their Malaysia JPJ department will offer 50% off, sometimes up to 80% off! Damn good deal... Before anyone shoot me ... i provide actual proof... 

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2021/12/11/jpj-extends-80-discount-offer-for-summonses-until-dec-15/

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

7 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

That's what I was offered along nshw...i said just issue me the summon and I'd pay full at custom...no need any discount...off I went without any discount or summon 😁

They don't even carry the summons book lah.

How to issue you a ticket.

MY finest have gone green! 

• Haha! 3