Sun cable. Solar energy from australia

Wind30

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Funny thing is all the US politicians that say climate change is natural

all got very large donations from the oil, gas and coal companies.

I wonder if this is a coincidence.

:D

But all those who champion climate change, do they have donations from alternative energy companies? Or they believe in outsourcing pollution?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Climate change due to human activities is true but is all actions really about climate change? 

Are some of these actions actually going to cause more adverse effects and hardship to some for profits? Think about it.

Just thinking aloud.  Why can't we build solar farms in Singapore?

I think they want to build one over a reservoir?

But I was thinking. I notice HDB flats tend to be built in a circular formation.  Means the blocks are on the outside and then playground or something in the centre.  Why can't we build a giant solar panel that encompasses all the tops of the HDB flats?  It will capture a lot of sun and the side benefit is it can provide shade to the playground in the centre.

Is it an engineering problem like the weight of the solar panel is too much?

Examples of such blocks will be like at woodlands drive 73 where there is a playground in the middle of all the blocks. If the top were a giant solar panel, there would be shade below at the same time.  But some plant life might be sacrificed.  

But not sure if it will be an engineering issue.

Also, if we want to build a solar farm with under water cable, why can't we use one of our outlying islands to build a solar farm?  It's nearer to us, it's our territory and can also be an educational area for solar energy (school excursions there).

Edited by Philipkee

8 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Just thinking aloud.  Why can't we build solar farms in Singapore?

I think they want to build one over a reservoir?

But I was thinking. I notice HDB flats tend to be built in a circular formation.  Means the blocks are on the outside and then playground or something in the centre.  Why can't we build a giant solar panel that encompasses all the tops of the HDB flats?  It will capture a lot of sun and the side benefit is it can provide shade to the playground in the centre.

Is it an engineering problem like the weight of the solar panel is too much?

Examples of such blocks will be like at woodlands drive 73 where there is a playground in the middle of all the blocks. If the top were a giant solar panel, there would be shade below at the same time.  But some plant life might be sacrificed.  

But not sure if it will be an engineering issue.

Also, if we want to build a solar farm with under water cable, why can't we use one of our outlying islands to build a solar farm?  It's nearer to us, it's our territory and can also be an educational area for solar energy (school excursions there).

1st of all, tropical countries has about 30% solar efficiency as compared to Aust.

Govt started solar panel project in Tengeh Reservoir. The project can supply electricity to 16k 4 room HDB.

Govt also install solar panel on the roof top of HDB.

There are 3 temporary solar site in Tuas, CBP & Kallang (not sure started or not).

Based on Govt plan up to 2025, solar can only provide up 3% of our grid.

• Praise 3

Aimai niah, from primary school tok until now. Keep tokking about it. Sibay sian.

AA their pm confessed he is a non practising Catholic. Pell bell.

43 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

1st of all, tropical countries has about 30% solar efficiency as compared to Aust.

Govt started solar panel project in Tengeh Reservoir. The project can supply electricity to 16k 4 room HDB.

Govt also install solar panel on the roof top of HDB.

There are 3 temporary solar site in Tuas, CBP & Kallang (not sure started or not).

Based on Govt plan up to 2025, solar can only provide up 3% of our grid.

Better than nothing.

What about biofuel? From our used cooking oil plus sai (methane)?  Thought there was one company doing this.  Not sure why not upscaled.

Just now, Philipkee said:

Better than nothing.

What about biofuel? From our used cooking oil plus sai (methane)?  Thought there was one company doing this.  Not sure why not upscaled.

That's only good for bio-diesel.

Oil collection has been very competitive and likely not sustainable to upscale

• Praise 1

Supercharged

It just like SG's issue with water supply in its early days. Depend on others? We developed technology to improve self sufficiency.

Now it's power. Depend on others again? I think we also need to be innovative, think out of the box, to develop new tech to try to be self sufficient too. 

26 minutes ago, Didu said:

It just like SG's issue with water supply in its early days. Depend on others? We developed technology to improve self sufficiency.

Now it's power. Depend on others again? I think we also need to be innovative, think out of the box, to develop new tech to try to be self sufficient too. 

Water is not difficult for self-sufficient.  We haven't reached the stage of self-sufficient.  We will get there soon.

We will never reach the stage of energy self-sufficiency unless we go nuclear.

Nuclear fusion will be a viable solution.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1