Car GPS...

Axela525

Anybody using Waze GPS? Sometime like not accurate in guidance.....anybody got a better free GPS software I can use?

Coz Iam doing part time driver...depends on GPS alot. Thanks. Today will try google maps see accurate or not.

↡ Advertisement

30 minutes ago, Axela525 said:

Anybody using Waze GPS? Sometime like not accurate in guidance.....anybody got a better free GPS software I can use?

Coz Iam doing part time driver...depends on GPS alot. Thanks. Today will try google maps see accurate or not.

In what way it is not accurate?
Traffic condition is Waze USP

Among the commonly available navigation apps I rank them as follows:

1. Waze

2. Apple Maps

3. Google Maps

I find Waze the most up to date with traffic situations but I don’t go to unfamiliar addresses often which may be the reason why I don’t have a problem with accuracy.

The problem with Waze however is that it drains battery quickly.

• Praise 2

(edited)
29 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

In what way it is not accurate?
Traffic condition is Waze USP

It guided me wrongly at certain point than make unnecessary u turn

Edited by Axela525

I did a couple of experiment using waze vs mini/bmw in-car navigation system. Both set to the same destination and routing logic set to shortest journey time. 

The updated traffic conditions and popularity of the waze app can be it's boon or bane. 

Why boon? Well, you will get headsup with  everything that is happening on the route in almost real time. Road works lah, objects on road lah, TP in overhead bridges lah.... Traffic jams and severity. 

Why bane? Sometimes it is information overload and if you are already on the road with no good alternative route, you are stuck anyway.

Also, i have ever experienced Waze directed me around the most tortuous of roads just to get pass a jam section of the expressway. Many u-turns, into small landed housing estate roads just to save me that 1 min (maybe burn more fuel) .... The funny thing is in front of me and behind me, a couple of other cars (i do not know them) are also following this mind boggling route...almost like a convoy :D

After a while, if i need routing, i just use my in-car navi (more straight laced routing) and i just keep my waze on (my phone set to auto open waze app when i place it in my car wireless charger) for it's road traffic and situation function. 

• Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Among the commonly available navigation apps I rank them as follows:

1. Waze

2. Apple Maps

3. Google Maps

I find Waze the most up to date with traffic situations but I don’t go to unfamiliar addresses often which may be the reason why I don’t have a problem with accuracy.

The problem with Waze however is that it drains battery quickly.

Will try Here We Go...see how...mine android phone

• Praise 1

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

I did a couple of experiment using waze vs mini/bmw in-car navigation system. Both set to the same destination and routing logic set to shortest journey time. 

The updated traffic conditions and popularity of the waze app can be it's boon or bane. 

Why boon? Well, you will get headsup with  everything that is happening on the route in almost real time. Road works lah, objects on road lah, TP in overhead bridges lah.... Traffic jams and severity. 

Why bane? Sometimes it is information overload and if you are already on the road with no good alternative route, you are stuck anyway.

Also, i have ever experienced Waze directed me around the most tortuous of roads just to get pass a jam section of the expressway. Many u-turns, into small landed housing estate roads just to save me that 1 min (maybe burn more fuel) .... The funny thing is in front of me and behind me, a couple of other cars (i do not know them) are also following this mind boggling route...almost like a convoy :D

After a while, if i need routing, i just use my in-car navi (more straight laced routing) and i just keep my waze on (my phone set to auto open waze app when i place it in my car wireless charger) for it's road traffic and situation function. 

noted, thks...ya i like the TP on overhead bridge thingy....but main purpose must be able to guide...lol

Edited by Axela525

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Axela525 said:

I personally think google map is the best for SG driving, because supply and demand. Alot of drivers in SG using google map. If you are in malaysia, then ya. Waze better. 

• Praise 3

Twincharged

The only negative for Waze is that it’s a power hog. Drains the phone battery fast. You need to keep it charged for long journeys. 
car gps will always be poorer due to maps. But accuracy wise, the car gps can be better especially in tunnels as some car will have dead reckoning. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Axela525 said:

Will try Here We Go...see how...mine android phone

Sometimes I ran two gps navigation apps simultaneously in split screen mode android; Google Maps and Here Maps. 

• Praise 1

@Jamesc that one need dedicated GPS unit...I driver... troublesome to bring unit from my car to my boss's car...scare forgotten to bring back👍

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Axela525 said:

@kobayashiGT Malaysia use Waze need data...Google maps just download offline maps good to go.

Here Wego Maps can download full maps for SG, MY and many other countries/nations for offline navigation.✌️
This feature is very useful in overseas driving.
Google Maps offline maps is only partial area.

Edited by DOBIEMKZ
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Here Wego Maps can download full maps for SG, MY and many other countries/nations for offline navigation.✌️
This feature is very useful in overseas driving.
Google Maps offline maps is only partial area.

This is the end result of the original Nokia Maps that I started with as Ovi Maps on my E66, even before Google was a thing....... remember then?

Now owned by VW, BMW, MB, Intel, Mitsubishi.

I think Garmin uses Here.

The one reason I switched over to Google Maps and car NAV was because Here didn't/doesn't show lane advice.

With regards Waze, I installed it during my trip to KL a few months back. Now when I plug into into my car, it starts automatically and doesn't switch off 😟 I haven't found how to stop the autostart so I can choose which to use, because i also still have Here installed but rarely used due to lane guidance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2