PSA: Driving in Malaysia and How To Handle Accidents and Theft

therock

(edited)

We already have a reckless thread, but this one is for M'sia and some info I gleaned from ST, as well as the info advice:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/askst-what-to-do-if-you-get-into-motor-related-incidents-in-malaysia

"SINGAPORE - Since the land borders reopened on April 1, motorists have resumed driving to Malaysia.

On July 16, a Singapore-registered Honda Civic Type R was reportedly stolen from the parking compound of SkyAvenue shopping mall in Genting Highlands in the state of Pahang. It was said to be found three days later in a condominium carpark in another state - Selangor - with parts missing and carrying a different registration plate.

The Straits Times answers some questions on what to do if one encounters such troubles in Malaysia.

Q: Do I need additional insurance to use my vehicle outside Singapore?

A: Unless specifically stated otherwise, the typical private motor insurance policy will include coverage in Peninsular Malaysia and up to 80km of the border between Malaysia and Thailand.

It is a legal requirement to have valid insurance against third-party risks to use a car or motorcycle on Malaysian roads. This is the minimum level of coverage, which will address any damage or injury to other parties but not for you or your vehicle.

Q: My car has gone missing in Malaysia - what do I do?

A: Make a police report and take that document back to Singapore to file a claim with your insurer. Note that compensation will be applicable only for comprehensive and third party with fire and theft coverage policies.

Q: Now that my car is gone, when will I be compensated?

A: Mr Oliver Ong from Accord Insurance Agency said in the case of a car stolen in Malaysia, the insurer will wait for the police to conclude their investigation before compensation can be disbursed.

Q: I just had a motor accident involving my Singapore-registered vehicle in Malaysia. Do I need to make a police report?

A: Yes. It is a legal requirement under the country's Road Transport Act 1987 to report the accident at the nearest police station within 24 hours.

Bring along your driving licence and certificate of insurance.

Your insurer in Singapore will also require a copy of the police report when you file your claim.

According to General Insurance Association of Singapore's (GIA) motor claims framework, the driver has to report the accident to the insurer within the next working day. However, you will not be penalised for being late if it is not possible to take the car back to Singapore any earlier.

The vehicle has to be taken to an approved reporting centre or authorised workshop for assessment.

In addition to the details of the other parties involved, include any photographs of the damage, the surrounding road conditions and in-car video footage to help the insurer determine the liability to be assumed by each party.

In the case when both vehicles are Singapore-registered, the respective insurance companies will proceed to ascertain how much liability is attributed to the parties.

Q: My Singapore-registered car was hit by a Malaysian car in Malaysia. How do I get it fixed?

A: Lawyer Sarjeet Singh, head of the insurance department at Kelvin Chia Partnership, recommends making an "own damage" claim on your own policy.

For insurance claim repairs in Singapore, motor workshops would not start work before insurers agree on cost estimates and give the go-ahead.

If you wish to make a third-party motor claim against an insurer in Malaysia, GIA advises that you take up your case with the company in Malaysia. It stated that "as an industry practice, an insurer will not act on your behalf to file a third-party claim".

To make the claim, you will need to include, among other documents, a copy of your vehicle registration card, insurance cover note, identity card, police report, result of the police investigation and proof of losses incurred.

If the claim is unsuccessful after all means have been exhausted, GIA advises to approach its Malaysian counterpart, Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (at this website and e-mail: [email protected]), with the evidence.

'I thought we were all finished': Family smashes windows to escape after car overturns in Johor

Lorry driver arrested after ramming into 11 vehicles on Causeway

Q: Will I receive compensation for the damage caused by an accident with a Malaysia-registered car in Malaysia?

A: Industry experts told The Straits Times that this is a very difficult task as there are no official links between the insurance companies on either side of the border.

One insurance broker explained that the motor insurer's priority would be to settle the compensation quickly rather than having the case stretch out for many months to pursue a third-party claim with a Malaysian insurer.

Mr Douglas Chia from g&m Singapore said resolution hinges on whether the Malaysian insurer responds in the first place; assuming that you are able to identify the insurer for the other party.

He put the success rate for making claims against a non-Singapore registered car in Malaysia to be around one in 10.

Mr Ho Kai Weng, chief executive of GIA, advises motorists that the fastest and easiest option would be for each party to make a claim against his own insurer.

How much can I claim? Traffic accident claims simulator launched to help motorists settle out of court

'There is a loophole in the system': Car accident victim finds himself unable to claim insurance

Q: Would claiming against my own policy mean losing my no claims discount (NCD)?

A: Claiming against your own insurance policy would usually include paying the insurance excess, which is the maximum amount that you will be liable to pay. Any amount above will be borne by the insurer. The amount varies according to individual policies.

The NCD is a discount given by insurers to lower the premium payable for the policy in the following year. It is given as a benefit for motorists who do not make any claims on their policy.

Mr Ho from GIA said "if a motorist's insurer deems that its own driver is completely not at fault for an accident, their NCD will not be affected even if an 'own damage' claim is made".

Q: Any tips to stay out of trouble when driving in Malaysia?

A: It is important to have the essential documents with you when you are driving in Malaysia. This will include a copy of the insurance certificate and the vehicle registration card. Save the contact details to reach your insurer in your mobile phone for easy access.

When it comes to parking, a well-lit and more visible space with security guards is always preferred. Valuables in the vehicle should be kept out of sight.

Fitting an in-vehicle camera that operates even during parking is also recommended. It can be seen as a deterrent to thieves as well as a useful tool to provide evidence in the unfortunate event of a traffic accident.

Q: What if you were at fault for the accident in Malaysia? Can the other motorist file a claim against your insurer in Singapore?

A: Yes. Mr Ong from Accord Insurance said third-party claims for accidents in Malaysia have been successfully lodged in Singapore. It is critical that you report the accident to your insurer.

GIA warns that your insurer may refuse to accept responsibility if you fail to do so. This means that you will be left to bear the claim from the other motorist."

________________________________________________________________________________________________

My usual advice:

When traveling abroad

1- get enough rest before starting out on a long journey - if you just got off a long plane ride, think hard before you embark on a long drive 

2- get a car that you can handle - don't bite more than you can chew - if you have never driven a 4000cc car, don't start now..

3- understand the local rules and SOP

4- take a day or two to get use to the roads especially if it's a left hand drive

5- have more than one designated driver 

6- take regular breaks

7- don't try and cover too much ground, such that you drive too much and get tired and also don't get to see much

8- check the car (tires, brakes, liquids etc)

9- get travel insurance, even if you have cover from your credit card

10- tell someone where you are going and where you come from - eg your hotel for the next night

11- drive at safe speeds

12- look out for cross winds

13- remember to buckle up - front and rear passengers alike

14- enjoy the journey and the ride with friends - nothing like the open road, here, M'sia or a longer trip... it doesn't matter so long as you are with good company!

In Singapore, most of the tips still apply:

- drive only when you can

- drive at a speed you can handle

- if you drink, don't drive

- don't try and multi-task

- don't use the HP, actually even with a hands free, it's not such a good idea

(I try and put my phone out of reach or silence it, so I don't try to reach for it)

- check the car and send it for regular servicing

(oils, liquids, tires etc)

- preventive maintenance is vital, don't wait til it's broken then change it

- don't assume the other guy is a pro and is aware of you, drive like the other person is a lousy driver, so keep the appropriate distance away

- BUCKLE UP, it's the law, and it's for your safety

- stay visible and signal your intentions early

- if you think you can't make it, don't accelerate and try to beat the light or the other car

- if you err, stick out your hand and wave a 'sorry' - you will be surprised how that calms the other guy

- if someone let's you go, and gives way, wave too - pay it forward 

If there's really going to be an accident:

- brace brace brace

- take pics

- it's an SOP to have a DVR these days - FRONT AND BACK

- carry a first aid kit

- a bit late, but always make sure your insurance is up to date

- stop the vehicle somewhere safe before you get out to talk to the other party

- don't fight, don't get violent, take pics and walk away if the other party is aggressive 

If you see an accident, DON'T KPO, keep moving. Report it when you are safe, or on a hands free. Don't add to the accident. Rubbernecking is a bad idea.

Watch out for oil slicks

Be safe, not sorry

Oh and if you do get stuck in a jam, just enjoy the time alone, reflect, since the car is going nowhere, don't horn or get angry. Spend a few moments of quiet time..

Finally if you have kids in the car, watch what you say or do..

Your young son / daughter is learning from daddy - if you curse and swear at everything and everyone around you, don't blame them for doing the same too later in life..

Sometimes, it's more important to do the right thing, than to lecture them, they learn more from our actions. 

That's it for now 

Finally if you do get into an accident, remember to keep cool, even if the other chap was an idiot.

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

You hit an SG car in SG and you don't report and the other driver lan lan 

You hit an MY car in MY and you don't report and you are liable?

Sure meh?

:D

• Praise 2

https://piam.org.my/consumer-industry-useful-guides-vehicle-thieft/

VEHICLE THEFT

PREVENTING CAR THEFT

One of the fastest growing ways to steal your car is to steal your car keys. This is commonly done by feeding a wire or grasp hook through your letter box or porch window. Never leave your car keys in the hall or in the porch or on a convenient hook as this is inviting car theft. And never ever leave your car key on top of your car or on the seat of your motorcycle unattended.

Never leave your car engine running, even if you will only be gone for a minute. Cars are commonly stolen at Supermarkets, Petrol stations, Fast Food outlets, Cash Machines etc. There has been many cars stolen in the morning when the owner leaves the car running on the road kerb to warm up.

When you leave your car unattended, even for short periods, wind up the windows and sunroof (if there’s one), lock all doors and remove the key from the ignition.

Never hide a second set of keys in your car. Extra keys can easily be found by an experienced thief.

Consider installing an immobilizer for your ignition key.

Do not leave important documents such as bank statements, credit card bills, statements or other personal information in your vehicle. Thieves can use this information to steal your identity and access your bank and credit card accounts.

Do not leave your driving license or registration documents in your car. These could help the thief sell or dispose of your car.

Ensure that you have removed all valuable – looking property from view, especially mobile phones, laptops, clothing, bags and loose change in consoles. When you leave your car either take your belongings with you or lock them in the boot.

Park in a busy and well lit area at night and avoid car parks that have a history of thefts or break-ins.

When you park your car in daylight through the evening or overnight, consider how the area may look like in the dark. Most car thefts occur at night.

Avoid parking in unattended areas where car thieves have less chance of being caught.

Park with your wheels turned towards the kerb. Make your car tough to tow away. Wheels should also be turned to the side in car parks and driveways.

If your vehicle is a rear-wheel drive, back into your driveway. Front-wheel drive vehicles should be parked front-end first. On four-wheel drive vehicles, the rear wheels sometimes lock, making your car difficult to tow-away.

Always use your hand-brake when parking. Leave automatic transmission in park and manual transmissions should be left in gear. As well as ensuring safety, it makes your car much harder to tow-away.

If you have a garage, use it. Nearly 50% of all car crime occurs right outside the house. By locking the garage and the car doors, the chances of deterring a theft greatly improves.

Consider having an engine immobilizer or fuel cut-out switch installed to restrict the theft of your motor vehicle. Research has shown that this is one of the most effective ways to beat a car thief. You may also qualify for a discount on your insurance premium.

Use a locking device on the steering wheel or transmission gear lever. These devices act as a deterrent; they are very visible and make it more difficult and time-consuming for the car thief.

If you are likely to leave your car unattended for a long period (extended Holiday or Work assignment) you should consider disabling your vehicle by removing the electronic ignition fuse, coil wire or rotor distributor.

For a car that is rarely used, consider a tyre or wheel lock. (Like the clampers use) This prevents the car from moving.

Consider installing a car alarm. They sound a loud warning when the doors, bonnet or car boot are opened. Optional sensors include glass breakage, motion, tampering, and towing. Panic buttons, back-up batteries, flashing parking lights or headlights, and automatic engine disable features are also recommended.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CAR IS STOLEN

Make a police report immediately or at least within 24 hours of discovery. Immediately notify your insurance company in writing with full details. State the:

Registration number

Make

Model

Colour

Time

Place

If the stolen vehicle is under finance, notify your finance or leasing company quickly.

After submission of the Claim Form, cooperate fully with your insurance company and their assigned adjusters on theft claim investigation.

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/what-should-you-do-reduce-your-risk-vehicle-theft-malaysia

Lastly, you can invest in car accessories that can help prevent theft.

For instance, you can consider getting a steering wheel lock, such as the RASLOK. These wheel locks can help protect against car thieves who can hack into keyless car systems.

You can also get brake pedal and gear shift locks. Motorcycle riders can consider investing in a disc lock alarm, which you can get from brands like XENA.

A chain lock that keeps your motorcycle attached to something immovable is a good way to discourage motorcycle thieves as well.

While it may be tempting to get cheaper anti-theft accessories, spending a bit more on a higher quality and technologically advanced product may actually be the better choice when it comes to theft prevention.

WILL YOUR INSURANCE COVER VEHICLE DAMAGE AND THEFT OUTSIDE OF SINGAPORE?

Singaporeans who have their vehicles stolen in Malaysia should be covered by their Third Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive car and motorcycle insurance plans.

Both forms of insurance provide coverage throughout West Malaysia (including Penang and islands offshore of Malaysia) and 80km into Southern Thailand.

This coverage extends to accidents, loss and theft.

Some car insurers offer an 'overseas booster' benefit that will also provide emergency assistance, towing services, and reimbursement for travel back to Singapore while overseas.

The first thing you should do if you are a victim of a car theft is to report to the police.

You should also make a note of any travel documents that are missing and report to the consulate general. After you have filed a police report, you may then notify your insurer (within 24 hours).

To reduce the odds that your claim is denied, you should make sure you don't do anything that could count against you.

For instance, you should always make sure your car door is locked, you are parked in an authorised parking zone and your car is in roadworthy condition.

SIMPLE PRECAUTIONS FOR KEEPING YOUR VEHICLE SAFE FROM THEFT 

While it's impossible to fully prevent vehicle theft, there are actions you can take to reduce the chances.

First, you should take all reasonable precautions when leaving your car parked for a long period of time. This includes keeping all your windows up and your doors locked.

It is also wise to avoid leaving anything valuable visible in the car that can entice potential thieves.

Parking in a well-lit and heavily trafficked area can discourage thieves from going after your car since they'll have a higher chance of getting caught.

Another word of advice is to make sure you park head first-keeping the front of your car exposed can make it easy for thieves who like to tow away cars.

image.thumb.png.7ee6011cc7fc362b31790cc00664c366.png

image.thumb.png.83e4cc9987021be976d5a7a411053cfa.png

Oh and when driving, please follow their SOP.

Turn off that ECO mode when you overtake!

Drop two gears, give a firm press on the gas and complete the overtaking swiftly.

But please check for traffic, and note that the velocity is the combined speed of your car and the car coming towards you! So the gap narrows quickly

If someone signals turning out right, it is an indication there is oncoming traffic. Likewise if he signals left or keeps left, he's giving you a chance. Follow rules, eg if there are double white lines or a crest, don't do it!

Know your car and your own capabilities or stick to the dual carriage highways.. 

(edited)

You can have all the theories and advisories which may be good to know. It takes experience, good judgement and decisiveness to drive safely in any foreign land. Another factor is how much you know the car and its responses. 

Most Sg drivers are so used to driving on one way road or dual carriageways. When come to two way roads, they are lost, especially when overtaking. You need practice, experience and skill to to execute...

Edited by Fitvip

(edited)

my biggest concern is either you knock my-car or my-car knock you (intentionally) 

then suddenly a lot of "friendly" people come to help say to tow your car to the their workshop 

so how? worse case scenario is your car is not driveable ... can call AA Singapore which covers MY to tow to a "safe workshop/place" under AA? [sly] 

AA Singapore booklet also said if accident in Plus Highway, must call Plus 1800 to tow  ... AA don't tow from highway 

if safe to drive, i definitely will continue to drive the car even have to duct-tape the entire bumper, body, shattered window or door [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know

We cannot claim boleh car insurance when they accident in SG but....... 😂😂😂

It is a legal requirement to have valid insurance against third-party risks to use a car or motorcycle on Malaysian roads. This is the minimum level of coverage, which will address any damage or injury to other parties but not for you or your vehicle.

18 hours ago, therock said:

Q: Would claiming against my own policy mean losing my no claims discount (NCD)?

A: Claiming against your own insurance policy would usually include paying the insurance excess, which is the maximum amount that you will be liable to pay. Any amount above will be borne by the insurer. The amount varies according to individual policies.

The NCD is a discount given by insurers to lower the premium payable for the policy in the following year. It is given as a benefit for motorists who do not make any claims on their policy.

Mr Ho from GIA said "if a motorist's insurer deems that its own driver is completely not at fault for an accident, their NCD will not be affected even if an 'own damage' claim is made".

Unless it is a very clear cut case, like a car crashed into your car while you are legally parked or you legally stop at a road junction, it is very rare for the driver to be deemed completely not at fault.

There is always the "you should have anticipated" part and should have gone faster, slower etc etc 

People that go MY and TH don't know why must wear all their gold jewelry and expensive watches

and talk loudly saying cheap cheap cheap and shouting at the top of their voice in SG will do like this or like that.

Might as well paint an X on their back to get targeted.

My colleague was telling me an SG man went Phuket and put give gold Lorex watch in the safe in the room.

When he came back it was gone.

I was wondering why must bring to Phuket and why must lock in the safe?

Some of us that wear watches wear it on us everywhere.

Maybe he went to play sea sports and I would suggest using this watch next time.

:D

image.png.3285f4090b8958781916eaa8ada18219.png