Highest income group most impacted by rise in consumer prices… 😂

Unltd

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/highest-income-groups-most-impacted-by-rise-in-consumer-prices-in-first-half-of-2022

well….. if you are poor (hand to mouth) and you have only $10 to spend, and no matter how prices increase you still can only spend that $10, then it will be very difficult to affect your spending…. You can’t spend any more than $10. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged

This is a bogus report lah, inflation only make things for the poor harder and harder to achieve. Not achieving them so not affected lor. True but not true, inflation means it’s across the board lah, you don’t spend on it does not mean it does not inflates 

• Praise 7

The title of the article is correct >>>> Inflation rose the most for high-income groups in first half of 2022. <<<<<but that does not mean the high income people get worst impacted. Just take the highest income for example, they may experience a 6% increase in consumer spending, but dont forget they have many more 6% spare cash to spend, vs the lower income people especially the hand to mount, when price increased by 5%, they dont have 5% more of their take home to spare. And to many, it means lesser saving or no saving. 

• Praise 9

wow.... these rich men are so poor things, most impacted leh, how about giving some gst vouchers or whatever rebates to them?

[hur]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 7

Supercharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, Unltd said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/highest-income-groups-most-impacted-by-rise-in-consumer-prices-in-first-half-of-2022

well….. if you are poor (hand to mouth) and you have only $10 to spend, and no matter how prices increase you still can only spend that $10, then it will be very difficult to affect your spending…. You can’t spend any more than $10. 😂

The highest income groups got most impacted by inflation, really?

Then how come COE prices didn't come down since only the highest income groups buy new cars ?

Edited by Starry

Rich most impacted. Boo Hoo. Let me play a tiny violin for you.

Honestly even if the rich are “most impacted” I doubt they are suffering, and it’s just MSM trying to spin a story to the masses to assuage feelings of wealth inequality here.

C03DC5BA-B8AB-44E7-B31F-23DA4F466170.gif

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

I detest this kind of propaganda. 

This is because cars, petrol and other transport services, which have become significantly more expensive this year, had a larger impact on the spending of this group of top earners, compared to the other income groups.

Transport cost accounted for how many % of these rich people's spending? Yes, they pay more for car purchase and fuel, BUT it affects each and everyone of us down the value chain. To the middle class who took taxi and PHV, didn't their transport cost increase in tandem?

And not forgetting the real poor (bottom 20%), even a few cents increase in bus and MRT fare (per trip) is like a bullock cart wheel to them, no pun intended. 

To the rich, if they cannot afford a RR or Bentley, they can downgrade to say a Maybach, Mercedes or BMW. To the poor, what else can they downgrade to? Walking, cycling?!

To those who think that I am exaggerating, you have not seen the real poor. When I am doing voluntary work during pre-COVID days, I have came across households living in a totally bare HDB flat, i.e. no cabinet, no dinning table, no chair, or even proper pots and pans for basic cooking needs. The whole household (young and elderly) sleep on hard cement floor (no floor tiles or PVC sheet) without any fan, and the lighting? A 10W - 13W light bulb for the entire living room! This is the group of people that take the hardest hit from inflation. 

Food price increase, MSM will attribute to global food shortage, rising feed price, utilities cost, Russia Ukraine war, etc. but what about transport cost? Ask those in delivery business if anyone have not increase delivery charges levied on the same order over the past 1 year... Hello, cotton wool come from sheep deh. 

• Praise 21

I am finding myself priced out of many things.  the "buay eh kee but buay beh loh" conundrum.   someone coin the word HENRYs - High Earners Not Rich Yet to describe people like me, and i think we is finding it sibeh siong in this environment.  

Makes as much sense as GST is to help the poor.... Must give it to them that at least the warped logic is consistant. 😕

Actually the article Is not as biased as what u all making a fuss about lah. But the choice of headline is just clickbaity. 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
12 minutes ago, Chongster said:

I am finding myself priced out of many things.  the "buay eh kee but buay beh loh" conundrum.   someone coin the word HENRYs - High Earners Not Rich Yet to describe people like me, and i think we is finding it sibeh siong in this environment.  

high earner leh... unless old gen $, u gd life oreadi

(edited)
44 minutes ago, Chongster said:

你是买得起,不过买不下。我不一样,我是买不起。😂

Edited by Ct3833
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

(edited)
1 hour ago, Chongster said:

I also buay beh loh.  But i definitely dont consider myself a high earner.
Over the weekend, looked at a Harley Davidson, cheaper than the timepiece on my wrist but buay beh loh…..hai…..

But then, think about it, its good lah, dont anyhow spend.   Manage a bit rather than let it go out of hand.    
maybe next time when i re-retire, i sell my car, then i get a bike to move around and enjoy the ride.  

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
7 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Actually the article Is not as biased as what u all making a fuss about lah. But the choice of headline is just clickbaity. 

They fixed it. 
now it is ‘Inflation rose the most for high-income group in first half of 2022’

the original title is really stupid though

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1