Jump to content

should gov give COE rebate to households with many children?


Recommended Posts

Turbocharged
(edited)

I am wondering, with COE being so high, should gov give COE rebates to households with 3 kids or more?

Cars being a limited resource now, doesn't it make sense for a car to transport 5 people around vs 1 person on the road? If that one person cannot drive, all he adds is 1 person to the public transport load. Plus it helps to encourage kids which I feel is one of the biggest problems we have as a nation.

Example, if the household rebate is 20%, you pay COE of 80% of prevailing price. If you scrape the car early, you will only get 80% COE rebate from remaining COE.

When you sell the car to others, you have to top up the 20% of the remaining COE to prevent the next owner from benefiting from the reduced COE and the car COE gets converted to normal COE. This is to prevent profiteering. 

 

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
(edited)

I oredi accepted the fact that the GOLDEN GOOSE cannot be killed de..

40 years back remember those time where enter CBD u need 4 pax to drive without paying? If not need to buy and display that wonderful sticker? This is the Area License scheme.

For those young people here the link https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_777_2004-12-13.html

Such scheme work BUT why don bring back neh? Scholars are not toopid.. they tweak n tune to achieve KPI set by bosses.

Edited by Ody_2004
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

Alot of times solution many many.. but what if $$ is compromise?

I did asked my company GO GREEN ambassador.. if a Miracle Bulb that only consume 0.000001% of energy of a say LED bulb today.. BUT cost $1000 each to replace each.. WILL you replace it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I am wondering, with COE being so high, should gov give COE rebates to households with 3 kids or more?

Cars being a limited resource now, doesn't it make sense for a car to transport 5 people around vs 1 person on the road? If that one person cannot drive, all he adds is 1 person to the public transport load. Plus it helps to encourage kids which I feel is one of the biggest problems we have as a nation.

Example, if the household rebate is 20%, you pay COE of 80% of prevailing price. If you scrape the car early, you will only get 80% COE rebate from remaining COE.

When you sell the car to others, you have to top up the 20% of the remaining COE to prevent the next owner from benefiting from the reduced COE and the car COE gets converted to normal COE. This is to prevent profiteering. 

 

 

Also if the buyer is eligible for household rebate, you can sell the car to him without topping up the remaining 20% and the car remains with the discounted COE. I think this system is easy to implement and will help. Only one household rebate car per household of 5 obviously. 

I honestly feel this is a good policy as a car for 1 person is kind of a "luxury" but when you have a family with 3 kids... BTW, I only have 2 kids so no bias on my part. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

I oredi accepted the fact that the GOLDEN GOOSE cannot be killed de..

40 years back remember those time where enter CBD u need 4 pax to drive without paying? If not need to buy and display that wonderful sticker? This is the Area License scheme.

For those young people here the link https://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_777_2004-12-13.html

Such scheme work BUT why don bring back neh? Scholars are not toopid.. they tweak n tune to achieve KPI set by bosses.

I don't think the COE revenue will necessarily drop. The rich people will bid COE higher when the supply drops (more families able to afford COE). What it does is it skews COE tax in favour of families with many children, with singles and small families footing the larger portion. Plus it also allows more families to afford a car which they will not otherwise able to, ie COE will be more expensive for singles and cheaper for big families.

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbocharged

Nope. It's likely still cheaper to take taxi/rent than owning a car. As much as I've said that having your own car does have it's convenience, it is still a want at the end of the day.

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear

too many loopholes....just adjust the current system to increase the quota for small cars and decrease for bigger cars. So rich pay more and the average pay lesser. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Without a car a family cannot go out in SG?

Unlike a roof above our heads, subsidies should not be given out as an incentive for them to own a car lah.....

They could have originally not have planned to own one but decided to get one because `got discount'. That will add more cars on the roads.

 

Edited by Old-driver
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

Why work against the golden goose? No benefits whatsoever to the people in charge

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
Just now, Vid said:

Why work against the golden goose? No benefits whatsoever to the people in charge

image.png.42956499ccd6400f9d6b5541d115531e.png

  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1 minute ago, Vid said:

Exactly!

we seen this many times la...esp here, i've lived long enuf to see the whiners come asking for these things, cheap la, entitled la.....ffs, if you cna't afford it, then there are otehr means, renting, etc.  the 'it's all about me' mentality reeks strongly and this bloody bs is what is stalling our ability to move on positively and think of other ways, as opposed to seeking HANDOUTS!!!!

 

 

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
33 minutes ago, badlammy said:

Yayy, then my parents can help me buy and I save 20% COE.

Me too qualified under this scheme! My parents too! My bro too! NB too bad my sister single! Miss it! 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
48 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

They will answer: It goes against the car-lite initiative. 

They won’t because it does not affect the coe quota. It is not even factually right

Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
18 minutes ago, Vid said:

Why work against the golden goose? No benefits whatsoever to the people in charge

I already explained why I feel the coe revenue might not drop because the coe quota is still limited. For sure the coe price will go up after introduction of this rebate. It is just adjusting who pay how much. A bit like progressive income tax but in this case we favour large families.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
(edited)
41 minutes ago, badlammy said:

Yayy, then my parents can help me buy and I save 20% COE.

Ok make sense. Let’s limit it to households with young children. One of the children must be below 5. Simple fix.

unless you can convince your parents to have another kid, loophole plugged. 

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...