should gov give COE rebate to households with many children?

Wind30

This thread is a real validation thread.

validation of ppl who are entitled, microscopic thinking , unable to see beyond policies for the greater good and refusing to see beyond the nose

also heartening to know that a majority of McFers are level headed and can THINK at a higher level, with population metrics at hand 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Angry 1

The price of COE is that high becos of dealers bidding, becos of loans , becos of crap. 
end of the day, it doesnt address the issue it set out to address
becos 1000 COEs at $200000 each puts 1000 cars on the road, 1000 COEs at $30000 each also puts 1000 cars on the road.

so please, enough of bullcrap and blindfolding.  What may work then, doesnt work today.
Its just around becos we aint good enough to improvise.

Same for HDB, isnt it?  

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

The price of COE is that high becos of dealers bidding, becos of loans , becos of crap. 
becos 1000 COEs at $200000 each puts 1000 cars on the road, 1000 COEs at $30000 each also puts 1000 cars on the road.

so please, enough of bullcrap and blindfolding.  What may work then, doesnt work today.

Same for HDB, isnt it?  

Yes but 20 yrs ago those 1000 cars on the road 90% only come out during peak hour and weekend. Nowadays of the 1000 cars more than half seems to have PHV sticker and are on the road all hours of the day... so of cos lagi jam despite holding COE quota constant for so many yrs

• Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Yes but 20 yrs ago those 1000 cars on the road 90% only come out during peak hour and weekend. Nowadays of the 1000 cars more than half seems to have PHV sticker and are on the road all hours of the day... so of cos lagi jam despite holding COE quota constant for so many yrs

Same number of cars for an ever increasing population (who needs to move around, as well as logistics for the groceries, food etc).  The end result for COE is of course steadily going up and up. Huat ah!

One day I will consider becoming a pest on the road by buying ebike. No COE, No Rules!

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
(edited)
1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

You stayed in a landed and own another investment property, IIRC. Don't think you need more "rebates" for your COE and even if eligible, will it entice you to have a third kid?  I doubt so.  

We shouldn't encourage car ownership for the marginals, have more kids to enjoy COE rebate, that will do more harm than good.  More kbkp down the road. It will be good if every family can own a car but that is just not possible.  There are better ways to support organic population growth, more targeted but this is not it.

Don't think you are proposing this to benefit yourself unlike .... but it is a crappy idea. 

I kind of agree with your counter arguments. I think the pro outweighs the cons. I still find it “unfair” that big families with 3 kids have to take bus in the hot sun while people zip around in cars with one passenger inside.

I don’t mind paying higher coe if that means a higher percentage of big families can afford cars. But I doubt many, if any, will feel this way. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 3

1 minute ago, Wind30 said:

I kind of agree with your counter arguments. I think the pro outweighs the cons. I still find it “unfair” that big families with 3 kids have to take bus in the hot sun while people zip around in cars with one passenger inside.

I don’t mind paying higher coe if that means a higher percentage of big families can afford cars. 

Even communism also not fair lah! 

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
44 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Same for HDB, isnt it?  

Honestly, if u put your thinking to it, what is a better way? A sincere question. If there is a better way to allocate coe, i would like to know.

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

Even communism also not fair lah! 

Ya Lat. Even with my suggestion, nothing is fair. I just think a skew will lead to a better outcome. 

(edited)

Perhaps the problem is simply over-population?  (And/or the lunatics who caused it)

Edited by SLing
  • Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Honestly, if u put your thinking to it, what is a better way? A sincere question. If there is a better way to allocate coe, i would like to know.

Actually U should ask the ministars.

They are paid handsomely to crank up ideas to stimulate the economy and well being of the citizens..

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I don’t mind paying higher coe if that means a higher percentage of big families can afford cars. 

Dun feel that way. 

Its endless and the family of 3 may actually be happier and carefree than the ones zipping around with one passenger. Financial freedom is something that brings greater peace than just a car. 

I eat at hawker centres and I eat what I like, within my means. If I look at those around me eating some "cheaper or less variety of ingredients", do I feel sorry for them? Or guilty that I can afford to eat what I like then? 

They could be eating more healthy stuff than me, that's actually often very true. 😅 And enjoying their food very much, not just based on my standard of what's "better/nicer". 

So, enjoy what u can afford. No guilt in using one's hard earned money to buy a car for the convenience of family and self. If u feel like doing a good deed, donate to genuine charitable causes. 

A car may actually be a financial burden to that family we see as "unfairly left out" regardless the special COE cos no COE will be cheaper than MRT and bus rides.

What more, what about petrol prices? Do we propose special petrol prices then? Otherwise got car but can't afford to pump petrol? 

Carparking? Maintenance of car? 

It's not so simple as a special COE. Car ownership is a huge financial expense. 

Yada-ing 

Stay safe all 

Cheers 

• Praise 9

1 minute ago, Freeder said:

They are paid handsomely to crank up ideas to stimulate the economy and well being of the citizens..

Why should COE be allocated?
Our former PM already said Govt don’t give handouts 

Turbocharged

there can be many ideas lah, good or bad

1. foreigners buy cars pay extra levies (gahmen: we dun want to be seen as anti-foreigners)

2. make public transport free for everyone (gahmen: why forgo one revenue when u can have both)

3. revamp COE categories (gahmen: why fix when it ain't broken)

😁

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Scion said:

there can be many ideas lah, good or bad

1. foreigners buy cars pay extra levies (gahmen: we dun want to be seen as anti-foreigners)

2. make public transport free for everyone (gahmen: why forgo one revenue when u can have both)

3. revamp COE categories (gahmen: why fix when it ain't broken)

😁

Like Germany reduced public tpt fares by 90% so less ppl drive

do that here and it’s “robbing the reserves “

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

19 minutes ago, Freeder said:

I think their monetary policy of pushing up SGD is going to just result in stagflation

Main problem is our domestic economy not competitive... all collude and push up prices as long as good good sounding excuse ... the price hike got no match with cost hike, just anyhow whack as seen by "pre-GST" hike that was fashionable end of last year.

If the market is more competitive cannot anyhow get away with pushing up prices. Like whole of Covid period the petrol companies wanted to push up prices but SPC keep refusing to budge after a few days it will come back down again. But once SPC decide to also join the party we saw skyrocketing prices until minister have to insist they will investigate then suddenly price came down... nothing to do with costs, everything to do with market structure and competitiveness

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1