COE Bidding – August 2022

Carbon82

34 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

CNA Explains: How will the new COE quota counting method affect you if you want to buy a new car?

In between the lines, she is saying COE prices going to stay around this figure for a long long time.  Cat A $75K-$80K, Cat B $110K-$$115K there about. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Let me say it again, the record breaking COE premium is BAD for Singapore and Singaporeans in long run, and the same can be said for high properties price. 

It is gonna to hit each and everyone of us, not just car buyers / owners! I am not a financial expert but think about this:

Transport and commodities prices went up because of high vehicle and fuel cost. When COE and fuel price drop back to the "norm" (I know it will never be as low as before), will prices for other products and services dropped in tandem? 

When business owner started to earn more as transportation cost headed south, that will become the new baseline (profits) for them, and come the next round of COE and fuel hike (which will happen once every few years, with or without war and other financial crisis), everything went up again and that is what I call inflation (from a layman's perspective).

And mind you, it is not just with transportation, the same will applies for say rental and other properties related charges.

Gahment no see the record breaking in COE an property is bad lo. 🙄

2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Let me say it again, the record breaking COE premium is BAD for Singapore and Singaporeans in long run, and the same can be said for high properties price. 

It is gonna to hit each and everyone of us, not just car buyers / owners! I am not a financial expert but think about this:

Transport and commodities prices went up because of high vehicle and fuel cost. When COE and fuel price drop back to the "norm" (I know it will never be as low as before), will prices for other products and services dropped in tandem? 

When business owner started to earn more as transportation cost headed south, that will become the new baseline (profits) for them, and come the next round of COE and fuel hike (which will happen once every few years, with or without war and other financial crisis), everything went up again and that is what I call inflation (from a layman's perspective).

And mind you, it is not just with transportation, the same will applies for say rental and other properties related charges.

Actually, if you think about it, the current higher than ever COE price, is due to two factors.  One is shrinking COE supply, which the government already planned for.

Second is, today's income level has risen consistently over the years.  Today, a fresh graduate's starting pay is $4k to $4.5k, and the overall wage level in Singapore, has risen significantly in tandem.

Therefore, the current COE price, which is determined by demand and supply, is a result (reflection) of the income level of the group of potential car owners in Singapore, which is much higher than before.

So while high car ownership cost is bad for business, it is actually a result of good income growth, aka inflation.

Of cos the influx of rich immigrants play a part in the push of COE price, but this happens in every country for every commodity, and is inevitable. 

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 3

In other countries, car prices are a fraction of Singapore's, but the stark truth is (based on what I read from foreign social media's postings), most people there cannot afford them.  So it's not just about price, but mainly about earning level, i.e. affordability.

1 hour ago, Ingenius said:

Actually, if you think about it, the current higher than ever COE price, is due to two factors.  One is shrinking COE supply, which the government already planned for.

Second is, today's income level has risen consistently over the years.  Today, a fresh graduate's starting pay is $4k to $4.5k, and the overall wage level in Singapore, has risen significantly in tandem.

Therefore, the current COE price, which is determined by demand and supply, is a result (reflection) of the income level of the group of potential car owners in Singapore, which is much higher than before.

So while high car ownership cost is bad for business, it is actually a result of good income growth, aka inflation.

Of cos the influx of rich immigrants play a part in the push of COE price, but this happens in every country for every commodity, and is inevitable. 

But ah not everyone salary is as high as those fresh graduate lo. Lol.

• Praise 1

The only time when coe drop was when there was financial prudence where the loan quantum was reduced. 

if you do that with high coe , car prices will be self moderated

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Ingenius said:

My wage no rise leh. 😔

• Haha! 3

Supercharged

3pm already, this thread still so quiet? Get ready to sit down, take out your popcorn and see the show begin. Cat B 120k?

21 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Probably need to join the car industry 

Join AD don't join used car dealers.

AD salesman all bragging so many customers.

Used car dealers all complain people with no money complain why used car prices all so high?

:D 

13 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

3pm already, this thread still so quiet? Get ready to sit down, take out your popcorn and see the show begin. Cat B 120k?

We all in the TW thread see if China invade TW or not!

Then we know how high to bid!

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 2