how to solve COE volatility? Gov doing the pricing

Wind30

11 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

COE is one of the good ways to manage traffic. But time has changed, it is time to modify it. Right now, it is time to reduce the fluctuation and send a clear signal to the public that this is the price of the car, do your calculation before making a decision. If nothing is done, the COE at 120k now, in 3 years time, it will be down to 30k? so the whoever can or can't afford just jump it. All those idiots can't see it coming? 

3 decades already, they have seen it befor,no need to be a fortune  teller to anticipate what would be coming. But it takes some pain and determination to make the changes 

↡ Advertisement

6 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Chio or not? 😁

Never got around to meeting her because haven’t even got the swift. 🤣

Nubbad got the very sweet look, she's a few years older than me, nice person! Hahaha she told me like end of last year if I wanted to get the swift sport, they could get it for me below 120k, a few k off the listed price, was quite tempted hahaha but ended up didn't buy, aiya wasted hahaha

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, SiLangKia said:

Nubbad got the very sweet look, she's a few years older than me, nice person! Hahaha she told me like end of last year if I wanted to get the swift sport, they could get it for me below 120k, a few k off the listed price, was quite tempted hahaha but ended up didn't buy, aiya wasted hahaha

Missed the boat bro. 😒

That time swift was $82K and I also didn’t grab…Haiz.

Angela or Angie bro? Two different person. 🤣

26 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Missed the boat bro. 😒

That time swift was $82K and I also didn’t grab…Haiz.

Angela or Angie bro? Two different person. 🤣

ehh sorry i referring to angela paiseh paiseh , i read wrongly hahahahahaha. Wa 82k for swift was cheap sia, esp if is the turbo one, the facelift w NA hybrid damn yucks, i rented to try once on tribecar (they have the pre facelift PI model but is essentially the same hybrid drivetrain as the facelift one from champion), very underwhelming 

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, SiLangKia said:

ehh sorry i referring to angela paiseh paiseh , i read wrongly hahahahahaha. Wa 82k for swift was cheap sia, esp if is the turbo one, the facelift w NA hybrid damn yucks, i rented to try once on tribecar (they have the pre facelift PI model but is essentially the same hybrid drivetrain as the facelift one from champion), very underwhelming 

No la, $82K was the normal swift. The swift sport was $104K then and one of the bro here got it thru’ Angie. Must be enjoying the ride and arm chio now. 😁

6 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

No la, $82K was the normal swift. The swift sport was $104K then and one of the bro here got it thru’ Angie. Must be enjoying the ride and arm chio now. 😁

Maybe sold for 120k to someone and laugh all the way to the bank HAHAHAHA. Ya I rmb swift spork launch price was like 103,900 they advertised then still got someone tell me "too expensive" not worth to spend over 100k HAHAHAHA, cos I was considering a manual car then. One main reason for not buying at that time is that my manager then was driving a PI unit, got it in july 2020 right after CB, didn't want him to say I copy him hahahahahaha

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, SiLangKia said:

Maybe sold for 120k to someone and laugh all the way to the bank HAHAHAHA. Ya I rmb swift spork launch price was like 103,900 they advertised then still got someone tell me "too expensive" not worth to spend over 100k HAHAHAHA, cos I was considering a manual car then.

Hahaha, yah some people think $104K was ex that time. Look at the price now!

Have to ask @Eighttales if he’s still enjoying the ride 😁

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Fcw75 said:

Hahaha, yah some people think $104K was ex that time. Look at the price now!

Have to ask @Eighttales if he’s still enjoying the ride 😁

hahahaha hopefully he still holding on to it, this car is really a keeper! One of the last few small fun properly manual cars

• Praise 3

To be honest I don't see how the price of the COE is tagged to the control of car population and traffic management here. Ultimately it is the quota that counts, whether is it a $1 COE or $1mil COE, the quota remains the same. Is zero growth policy, car population will never change anyway. If the real goal is managing traffic, they are doing an A* job. So to say COE is necessary yes, but necessary at this price point is really just a value-added service which is too good for the government to throw away.😅

• Praise 2

16 minutes ago, kelaihoyin said:

To be honest I don't see how the price of the COE is tagged to the control of car population and traffic management here. Ultimately it is the quota that counts, whether is it a $1 COE or $1mil COE, the quota remains the same. Is zero growth policy, car population will never change anyway. If the real goal is managing traffic, they are doing an A* job. So to say COE is necessary yes, but necessary at this price point is really just a value-added service which is too good for the government to throw away.😅

And Pelosi's real goal is to just to say goodbye to her friends in APAC before her retirement.🤣

Honestly, if they're serious about controlling the vehicle population, then all they have to do is to define a fixed number of vehicles that is allowed to be registered for use in Singapore at any one time (say 500,000). From there divide accordingly (how many bus, how many lorry, how many van, how many taxi, how many bike, how many private car etc) and stick to it. 

The system right now is such that although there's a quota, it still varies and fluctuates greatly. So in high COE year there are actually more cars on the road because fewer people scrap cars, and vice versa. If there's a fixed figure then the vehicle population is more controllable because you define at any one time how many vehicles are allowed in Singapore.

42 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

Honestly, if they're serious about controlling the vehicle population, then all they have to do is to define a fixed number of vehicles that is allowed to be registered for use in Singapore at any one time (say 500,000). From there divide accordingly (how many bus, how many lorry, how many van, how many taxi, how many bike, how many private car etc) and stick to it. 

The system right now is such that although there's a quota, it still varies and fluctuates greatly. So in high COE year there are actually more cars on the road because fewer people scrap cars, and vice versa. If there's a fixed figure then the vehicle population is more controllable because you define at any one time how many vehicles are allowed in Singapore.

Other than commercial(0. 5% per year) the total number is already fixed with the zero growth policy. But more rental cars/PHVs means more cars are on the road thus more congestion. 

These should be taxed 4 or 5 times more than private cars to reflect the disproportionate contributions tonl road congestion. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Other than commercial(0. 5% per year) the total number is already fixed with the zero growth policy. But more rental cars/PHVs means more cars are on the road thus more congestion. 

These should be taxed 4 or 5 times more than private cars to reflect the disproportionate contributions tonl road congestion. 

It's not really 'fixed' because right now it still depends on number of deregistrations, so if there is a sudden flood of early deregistrations it affects the supply down the line.

What I'm saying is to maintain a fixed cap overall. I.e. if we aim for total vehicle population of 500k but if there are 600k vehicles now, we wait for 100k vehicles to be scrapped (meaning zero supply until then). Once we hit the target of 500k then it's 1 for 1 replacement to maintain that number consistently.

2 minutes ago, SLing said:

Means demand too high. Need to moderate demand by increasing the fares. Simple. Not increase nounver of PHVs hor! 

Coe volatility?

Remove all quota.  Put COE for Cat A at 70k.  Fixed.  Cat B at 90K Fixed.  Remove open Cat.

All registrations must be done within one month.  So if the dealer has not gotten the car imported yet, then he better not sell the car.  You can book the car but since there is no guarantee the car will be ready within one month of Coe bidding, people will be more cautious.  

Too many cars?  Next cycle, increase all COE by 10k.  Until hit equilibriums.

Even if there is a recession and few want to buy car, Coe for Cat A will be 70k, Cat B will be 90K.

Everyone who can pay will get their car.

Increase ERP for private vehicles by $1 monthly with a 10 cent reduction in public transport fares monthly until you get desired outcome.  If public transport is already free but there is still jam, just keep increasing ERP until desired outcome is achieved.

30 minutes ago, SLing said:

I read some article whereby some big mouth PHV driver spilt the beans on the phenomenon. 

This is artificially created "demand" when PHV drivers colluded in their own tight circles to deliberately reduce supply so that when surge pricing (probably a system algorithm) is induced, then they go in to pick up the fattened lambs. 

If this is true, something needs to be done about such unfair practice to the average consumers. 

Anyone can confirm this? 

↡ Advertisement