how to solve COE volatility? Gov doing the pricing

Wind30

Supersonic
13 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

It will definitely be a better tomorrow!

At least the roads will be better planned and constructed.

Not too sure about that leh

Ppl will suggest extra wide roads for ppl w 3 kids how?......

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

High COE is putting

back into our reserves.

:D

High COE is good for us.

High coe will be good like increasing GST. With all these extra revenue, govt can better support the poor. :D 

• Haha! 2

Twincharged

Let me list the amount of money collected from COE over the last 10years.

Average from 2012-2021 is 3.86B/yr

2022: 3.93B (estimated)

2021: 3.22B

2020: 2.30B

2019: 2.42B

2018: 3.27B

2017: 5.98B

2016: 6.86B

2015: 5.41B

2014: 3.67B

2013: 2.76B

2012: 2.76B

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

wah....2016, got so much money? 

Think all finished liao after investing heavily in Cecaland…

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

We will see massive under declaring of OMVs.....

All features will be stripped off then.😁
If owners want then optionally install aftermarket locally. 😅

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

The intention of COE has always been to be a revenue stream for the coffers. 

Whatever ideas anyone has, none will be taken up UNLESS it promises increased revenue to the coffers.

By cutting COE quota every quarter with unrelenting demand especially from taxis and PHVs, the revenue is literally begging to enter the coffers.

Short and sweet. High demand + low supply = high revenue

Is the above statement clear enough? :D

The intention of COE is always to control the population of the cars. If the main intention is for revenue, selling more COEs instead of controlling the number of COEs will generate more revenue. 

• Praise 4

The best way to increase revenue

is to decrease supply.

Then people will have to pay more.

People buy cars when COE was 30k

and also buy cars at 100k

Which one gets more revenue?

16 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

All features will be stripped off then.😁
If owners want then optionally install aftermarket locally. 😅

Software Paywall lor! OMV 20k, pay another 30k after buying to activate electric mirrors, climate control, electric seats, headlights.... 

Of course some drivers will save and not pay for signal lights. 

• Haha! 5

1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

Software Paywall lor! OMV 20k, pay another 30k after buying to activate electric mirrors, climate control, electric seats, headlights.... 

Of course some drivers will save and not pay for signal lights. 

Also imported with no carpets, no seats, no rims no tyres, and no steering wheel too.😁 Because all these items selling in many after-market shops locally.😄
Create business for them.

15 hours ago, Jamesc said:

The best way to increase revenue

is to decrease supply.

Then people will have to pay more.

People buy cars when COE was 30k

and also buy cars at 100k

Which one gets more revenue?

Having more and cheaper COEs doesn't mean the revenue will be less. For example, selling 500 COEs at $100K a piece ($50m) compared to selling 2,000 COEs at $60K a piece ($120m). Not to forget more cars on the road, more ERPs to be collected, fuel duties etc. That's if the intention is really just to generate revenue. Also what's stopping the Govt to issue more COEs and at the same time all COEs have a reserved price of at least $80K?

• Praise 1

20 hours ago, Fitmugen said:

Yeah, at the end of the day, car is not a necessity in SG. If cannot afford, there are many options that are almost as convenient.

Save your proposals for the day when there is food shortage. That one I agree, cannot be bidding system and gahmen must step in, if not people will die of hunger!

Totally agree!

Bidding sure high price.

When I was a kid ever attended 7th month dinner before they can bid so much for a piece of charcoal.😅

We see Art piece auction, the bid price also goes way beyond the starting price.

But when go supermarket buy charcoal for BBQ the price is fix 🤣

Then I realised the red ribbons must have been the expensive stuff 😅.

So many people fighting to have it.

• Haha! 7

Going round and round now lol

Basic thing is COE is an ownership tax, not usage tax. But despite quota frozen for many years now the usage has skyrocketed thanks to PHV and rentals. Meanwhile those who use their car less (for private purpose) have to pay the same premium as a commercial user of the car who contributes 90% of the congestion on the road.

So you wanna get serious about tackling congestion need to focus tax around usage. Satellite ERP? Maybe but pls not with 20th century tech. For me this usage question is the most important reason why car rental and PHV need to split out from general COE quota. They broke the system

• Praise 5

16 hours ago, Calvin8808 said:

The intention of COE is always to control the population of the cars. If the main intention is for revenue, selling more COEs instead of controlling the number of COEs will generate more revenue. 

Optics. 

Just like we all know how much our ministers are paid (at least ball park millions) 

How many do we see drive bentley/RR/porsche? How many flash AP/PP whatever P on their wrist? How many of the female ministers carry herpes in public eyes? 

In order to continue the revenue stream, the show must go on and not kill the golden goose. Whatever car population control and traffic jam solutions are just a means to and end. 

So, if they want my money to fund the govt coffers, just be upfront about it and just tax me for my income one time jialat jialat each year and leave me alone for the rest of the year. 

That is my point of view. We can agree to disagree on that. 

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 1

Support

45 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

Having more and cheaper COEs doesn't mean the revenue will be less. For example, selling 500 COEs at $100K a piece ($50m) compared to selling 2,000 COEs at $60K a piece ($120m). Not to forget more cars on the road, more ERPs to be collected, fuel duties etc. That's if the intention is really just to generate revenue. Also what's stopping the Govt to issue more COEs and at the same time all COEs have a reserved price of at least $80K?

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Optramagnum said:

You should see the crowd in those condo new launches. Like wet market.. Units were sold in minutes. 

thus in Cheng Hu's eyes, singaporeans still got money.. KPKB for what. continue to Go Squeeze Them.

image.thumb.png.a78efe970965e1ed76b80a253110ceaf.png

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4