Jump to content

VW Golf 9 In Doubt Due To Rising Costs With Development Of ICE Cars


Recommended Posts

Internal Moderator

image.png.a33aefcaf07f931f73031c567e8c0bda.png

Source: https://www.motor1.com/news/602151/vw-golf-9-in-doubt/

In March 2021, Volkswagen was eager to announce that the Golf, T-Roc, Tiguan, and Passat would all get next-generation models. That statement might have been a bit premature in the case of the compact hatchback/wagon duo as the company's newly appointed CEO remains cautious about the Golf's future. In an interview with the German paper Welt, Thomas Schäfer said a decision about developing a ninth-generation model has not been taken yet.

Skoda's former head honcho took the reins of the VW core brand on April 1 this year and is questioning the Golf's future because of increasing costs with the development of cars equipped with combustion engines. Euro 7 regulations are expected to arrive in the coming years, and these will drive up the prices of an ICE-powered car by €3,000 to €5,000, according to Schäfer. He went on to say the end is nigh for €10,000 cars in Europe because making combustion engines comply with the stricter legislation regarding emissions will increase development costs.

volkswagen-golf-r-20-years-2022.jpg

VW's top brass announced a mid-cycle facelift is being worked on for the current Golf, but an Mk9 is uncertain at this point. He pointed out that engineering a new ICE car that is unlikely to have the traditional life cycle of 7-8 years might not be worth it, adding it's "extremely expensive" to develop Euro 7-compliant vehicles.

Reading between the lines, his statement about the Golf 9 not being sold for the full seven to eight years is related to the sales ban on new cars equipped with gasoline or diesel engines that will come into effect in the European Union in 2035. The current-generation model has been around since 2019 and is likely to receive a facelift in 2023/2024 that would be sold for another three to four years.

volkswagen-golf-r-20-years-2022.jpg

A potential Golf Mk9 would therefore arrive in 2027 or so, meaning its demise could coincide with the death of the ICE in the EU. Some Euro markets could decide to switch to EVs sooner than that, consequently impacting sales of the Golf by limiting its availability.

Thomas Schäfer said a final decision regarding whether there will be a ninth Golf will be taken in the next 12 months. He said that with small cars, it's tricky to offset the higher development costs that come with Euro 7, so we can deduce the future is not looking great for the ICE-powered Polo supermini either. In fact, Audi has already said it will bid adieu to the mechanically related A1 after this generation, with the Q2 subcompact crossover also going the way of the dodo.

 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Internal Moderator

What is VW smoking? hahaha. Now even making ICE car is more expensive? Then EV cars leh? 

They are going to make bicycle, is it? hahah. 

  • Haha! 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
Just now, kobayashiGT said:

What is VW smoking? hahaha. Now even making ICE car is more expensive? Then EV cars leh? 

They are going to make bicycle, is it? hahah. 

EURO6 needs petro particulate filter.  

Proposal for EURO7 has not announced yet.

It will get ever tighter.

On the other hand, Golf is not exactly a high margin product.

  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Internal Moderator
24 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

EURO6 needs petro particulate filter.  

Proposal for EURO7 has not announced yet.

It will get ever tighter.

On the other hand, Golf is not exactly a high margin product.

But VW is famous for semo semo gate one what. They can bluff thier way thur euro 7 one. hahahah 

  • Haha! 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
7 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

But VW is famous for semo semo gate one what. They can bluff thier way thur euro 7 one. hahahah 

Then we shall call this the 7th Gate. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged

Since the Golf kinda looks the same every gen, can juz do minor FL every 3 yrs n call it Golf Mk 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, etc

Liddat the current Golf can last 30 yrs

 

  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

I suspect only the japanese and koreans will still bother to have some further development of the ICE powered cars. Even then it should be mostly just bringing down some current tech like small turbo engines etc. 

Cos they still sell to America and non-developed countries. 

  • Praise 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supersonic
(edited)

Euro 7 will be the last of the petrol and diesel emission standard before the switch to electric cars for Europe in 2030. 

It will roll out in the year 2025? They are still working out the numbers.

Maybe vw will stuff more filter on the exhaust end to make it work. LoL  FL is likely. I dont think they will put in so much effort for an all new model. 

Unless synthetic fuel is able to reach mass market by 2025 but I am not that optimistic. May or may not be the end for ICE cars. Affordability for synthetic fuel is another issue. Everything is cost cost and more cost.

Electric bicycle will be the cheaper alternative of transportation. 

Edited by Watwheels
Link to post
Share on other sites
Internal Moderator
51 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Euro 7 will be the last of the petrol and diesel emission standard before the switch to electric cars for Europe in 2030. 

It will roll out in the year 2025? They are still working out the numbers.

Maybe vw will stuff more filter on the exhaust end to make it work. LoL  FL is likely. I dont think they will put in so much effort for an all new model. 

Unless synthetic fuel is able to reach mass market by 2025 but I am not that optimistic. May or may not be the end for ICE cars. Affordability for synthetic fuel is another issue. Everything is cost cost and more cost.

Electric bicycle will be the cheaper alternative of transportation. 

Only if we have cooling weather and proper bicycle infrastructure like Netherlands. I don't mind cycle to work. 

PCN not counted. Half way will break liao. 

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
44 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Only if we have cooling weather and proper bicycle infrastructure like Netherlands. I don't mind cycle to work. 

PCN not counted. Half way will break liao. 

In Summer, temperature in Netherland will range btw 20 and 25 deg.  Occasionally it will hit 29deg.

In Winter, temperature will range btw 0 and 4 deg.

In addition, Netherland has a lot of wind.

Are you sure you don't mind cycling in Netherland?

😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
4 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I suspect only the japanese and koreans will still bother to have some further development of the ICE powered cars. Even then it should be mostly just bringing down some current tech like small turbo engines etc. 

Cos they still sell to America and non-developed countries. 

Yes, the market for ICE cars is still super huge as not all the countries in the world have the $$$ to upgrade their infrastructure to support it.

Some European car companies are very short sighted... well, what do we expect of the leadership from a company like VW?

Edited by Rickster
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Euro 7 will be the last of the petrol and diesel emission standard before the switch to electric cars for Europe in 2030. 

It will roll out in the year 2025? They are still working out the numbers.

Maybe vw will stuff more filter on the exhaust end to make it work. LoL  FL is likely. I dont think they will put in so much effort for an all new model. 

Unless synthetic fuel is able to reach mass market by 2025 but I am not that optimistic. May or may not be the end for ICE cars. Affordability for synthetic fuel is another issue. Everything is cost cost and more cost.

Electric bicycle will be the cheaper alternative of transportation. 

I got a hunch the 2030 target is a little too optimistic. Timeline may be shifted back.

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
3 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I got a hunch the 2030 target is a little too optimistic. Timeline may be shifted back.

Management will tell u it's a "stretched target".....

Otherwise everyone lim kopi one corner till 2050

 

  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
On 8/4/2022 at 9:21 AM, kobayashiGT said:

What is VW smoking? hahaha. Now even making ICE car is more expensive? Then EV cars leh? 

They are going to make bicycle, is it? hahah. 

What VW meant not so subtly is that in order to devote $$$ to EV development, ICE R&D cost vs expected sales numbers to be relatively more expensive. 

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2022 at 6:44 PM, Soya said:

Management will tell u it's a "stretched target".....

Otherwise everyone lim kopi one corner till 2050

 

same with the rubbish in SG. lets see if will prata flip and change or delay rules when there are not enough certified cars to sell and thus causing COEs to plummet.

maybe can see $1 coe like in the case when they introduced EURO4 for commercial vehicles too early... 🤣

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

same with the rubbish in SG. lets see if will prata flip and change or delay rules when there are not enough certified cars to sell and thus causing COEs to plummet.

maybe can see $1 coe like in the case when they introduced EURO4 for commercial vehicles too early... 🤣

COE and ERP are the onli 2 things u can bet that'll never be broken in Sg....

 

  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, inlinesix said:

EURO6 needs petro particulate filter.  

Proposal for EURO7 has not announced yet.

It will get ever tighter.

On the other hand, Golf is not exactly a high margin product.

For VW mfg group no.. for dealers vvavawoom 

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...