If my car seldom use coz I retired....

Axela525

Can I service at 10,000km interval but at more than 6 months interval? Coz I sign the servicing bundle with Transeurokars mazda...coming is 120k servicing.

Will the car perform ok? 7 years old Mazda 3 with 3 years more to go....can save better, coz retired no income...thanks! Input and feedback, thanks!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

10K or 6 months, whichever comes first. For me personally i clock 10k in about 7 to 8 months max, so I go with every 10k.

Risk of leaving oil sitting in the engine for prolonged period is the formation of sludge. 

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Axela525 said:

Can I service at 10,000km interval but at more than 6 months interval? Coz I sign the servicing bundle with Transeurokars mazda...coming is 120k servicing.

Will the car perform ok? 7 years old Mazda 3 with 3 years more to go....can save better, coz retired no income...thanks! Input and feedback, thanks!

Erm... More than 6 month is how long first?

If you one year change one time, which you cover less than 10,000km. Then it is not wise. The engine oil will be heavily oxidated, won't have the detergent power to clean your engine. you tao gai (steal chicken) one or two months, i think is fine. 

You don't sound old sir, I think you will find something to do in your retirement, be it a more relaxing job or volunteering. . . Enjoy your retirement! 

Btw, now is a good time to sell car. hehehe. @Jamesc correct? 

• Haha! 2

5 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Erm... More than 6 month is how long first?

If you one year change one time, which you cover less than 10,000km. Then it is not wise. The engine oil will be heavily oxidated, won't have the detergent power to clean your engine. you tao gai (steal chicken) one or two months, i think is fine. 

You don't sound old sir, I think you will find something to do in your retirement, be it a more relaxing job or volunteering. . . Enjoy your retirement! 

Btw, now is a good time to sell car. hehehe. @Jamesc correct? 

Maybe he kena 5 million toto recently...

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
10 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Maybe he kena 5 million toto recently...

I never kenna lah. That's why I am still slogging. 😭

• Haha! 1

29 minutes ago, Axela525 said:

You can watch videos to change your own oil.

Just buy consumables, like oil, filter and seals.

Others will probably be an oil pan to collect, and just dispose at your regular mechanic workshop...

@Sturtles too toublesome, how abt I go change at 6 mths 1 time outside using back Mazda oil, than at 12 months go back agent do a major service at 120k millage. thks!

7 minutes ago, Axela525 said:

@kobayashiGT Ha ha...ok...maybe stretch to 9 mths max!....thks!

Modern cars are very robust.  I stretch to even 1.5 year cos I am also a low mileage user.  Our cars are over serviced for nothing.  If out of warranty, no need to service so often.

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

Just now, Axela525 said:

@Sturtles too toublesome, how abt I go change at 6 mths 1 time outside using back Mazda oil, than at 12 months go back agent do a major service at 120k millage. thks!

Without warranty, there is no good reason to return to Mazda.

If you wish to reduce expenses, you could get some hands-on skill, so you can exchange your time, in return to save on expenses

Regularly changing mineral oil at JB is still better than not changing oil for 1 year.

My dad used to tell me tires are good if they last long, but the actual difference is minor, while the risks of old, hardened tires are multifold and very costly.

Similarly for batteries. Changing once every 2 years vs every 2.5 years is minuscule, compared to the stress, inconvenience and cost when it happens.

Perhaps, you can plan a spreadsheet of expenses to guide your spending in the first year and adjust from there.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, Axela525 said:

@kobayashiGT Means ask mazda agent for engine flush?

You buy one bottle, before you go to mazda servicing, you pour in lor. then you slowly drive don't rev too high. 

By the time you reach there the cleaning effect should be completed. 

• Praise 3

37 minutes ago, Axela525 said:

My friend ask if your car is still under extended warranty? 

If not, you can drag your service interval and Transeurokars have nothing to say since it does not affect warranty anyway.

Only thing to be careful is to read your service bundle contract carefully for the terms and condition eg. must be within a certain mileage or the credits expire or not valid.

• Haha! 1