DPM Lawrence Wong rides a Royal Enfield Classic for charity ride

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

SINGAPORE - Guitarist, singer, TikTok sensation and now, motorcyclist - Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong has been showing he is a man of many talents outside of the office.

Mr Wong, who is also Finance Minister, rode a Royal Enfield Classic 500 motorcycle as part of a convoy on Sunday (Aug 14) to raise funds for the Children's Cancer Foundation.

Organised by Riders Aid Singapore, the event saw the convoy flagging off from Tampines Heavy Vehicle Carpark at about 1pm. More than 700 motorcyclists turned up at the event.

Mr Suriya Kumar, president of Riders Aid Singapore, said about $30,000 has been raised so far.

DPM Wong joined the convoy at about 1.45pm as they rode from Al-Istighfar Mosque in Pasir Ris to Loyang Tua Pek Kong Temple about 1km away.

At the temple, he gave a speech thanking the organisers for giving him the chance to ride a motorcycle after more than 20 years.

"I haven't done it for 20 over years already, the last time I did it was when I was a student in America," he said.

DPM Wong, who holds Class 2, 2A and 2B licences, said he picked up riding when he was a student in the United States, and previously owned a Suzuki street bike that he used to get around the city of Madison in Wisconsin.

"When I returned home and started work, I had a scooter for a period of time," he said.

"But it has been more than 20 years since I last rode a bike. So I was glad to have the opportunity to ride with Riders Aid Singapore this time to support a good cause."

DPM Wong autographed the motorcycle that was provided for him to use during the event. It will be kept as a display piece by the dealership in Ubi.

Mr Kumar said he had reached out to DPM Wong to be the guest of honour at the event after hearing from a grassroots leader that the minister used to ride motorcycles in his younger days.

"We reached out to him, and we were very surprised when he said he wanted to ride a bike by himself," he said. "Usually, our guests of honour would just ride pillion so we were all very excited."

As a token of appreciation, Mr Kumar presented DPM Wong with a painting of him with a motorcycle.

fhdpmwong140822.thumb.jpg.4d839b4e271c02a821e597c186a865d4.jpgsv_motorcycle_140822.thumb.jpg.e47277d785044611b9ef4d91c0dc342f.jpgmaxresdefault.thumb.jpg.7f145285d8b2e266fd51c746538796a4.jpg

Didn't know our DPM got 2B, 2A and 2 license. Now I can call him ah bang already. He just went from Lawrence Wong to Lawrence Wong. But after 20 years of not riding, hope he went for some refreshment lessons before going on the road lol. 

Before 14th August 2022.

134s2EYS_400x400.jpg.84110cda5788a910cfd310ab6cdbb6ae.jpg

After 14 August 2022.

202108161443-main.thumb.jpg.ed33ecaf6bf46ac9f3f5401d4baacbcd.jpg

1868988667_download(6).jpeg.94d9bb343e1207d2b2396b4772dca62b.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Haha! 5

Internal Moderator

Lawrence Wong to his entourage: Must take video of me riding. If not people say I wayang, take photo only never ride. 

LW's entourage: Say no more. GVGT. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Reminiscent of... 

This guy needs no intro. 

62b96dec9f5e550019aab654.thumb.jpeg.d9744cfe6ef5131619e835bfbeeedd27.jpeg

This guy is Turkmenistan's President Berdimuhamedov. John Oliver really took the mickey out of him on his show. 😂

LMD_1117_17-_Getty-618584690_-16c82.thumb.jpg.6534a441fe611aed2554dfaee193b0ae.jpg

Ours is urban jungle, must be modern "horse" with many horsepower mah. Otherwise sama sama. 😁

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 2

10 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Wah they are really hard selling this guy ah. 😂

Seems to have many feathers on his cap 😎

• Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

dun like this wong, 

but i like this ong 😂

Actually OYK always came across as more hardcore and less full of nonsense. What to do.

• Praise 1

Just now, Turboflat4 said:

Actually OYK always came across as more hardcore and less full of nonsense. What to do.

yes, i got the same feeling also.

But got many other external factors on how our leaders is choosen, which is a real shame........

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Seems to have many feathers on his cap 😎

Too many Indian Chiefs. 😁

rkamal-art-native-american-chief-by-rkamalart.thumb.jpg.7e29dd5a9de58622d9ce0b406c41e0a0.jpg

Actually, the really freaky coincidence here is that there is a very Enfieldesque bike called the Indian Chief:

2022-Indian-Chief-Ruby-Smoke-03.jpg.d805e80fe289f13a47eb5a34548ef4b9.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

21 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Too many Indian Chiefs. 😁

rkamal-art-native-american-chief-by-rkamalart.thumb.jpg.7e29dd5a9de58622d9ce0b406c41e0a0.jpg

Actually, the really freaky coincidence here is that there is a very Enfieldesque bike called the Indian Chief:

2022-Indian-Chief-Ruby-Smoke-03.jpg.d805e80fe289f13a47eb5a34548ef4b9.jpg

Indian motorbike brand is an American brand since 1900’s ……Whilst Royal Enfield is made in India now…… kinda confusing and well there is the Indies too ….. all Christopher  Columbus fault lah 🤣

• Haha! 5

8 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Indian motorbike brand is an American brand since 1900’s ……Whilst Royal Enfield is made in India now…… kinda confusing and well there is the Indies too ….. all Christopher  Columbus fault lah 🤣

Enfield has been made in India for ages now . 

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Wah they are really hard selling this guy ah. 😂

Not bare-chested so it doesn't count [laugh]

I don't know why try so hard to show minister is like common man-in-the-street. Even I am a commoner but I don't ride a motorbike. I don't do tik toks.

Next, what? Must pick up smoking also? Get a sleeve tattoo? To look more blue-collar?

Why not just move to a HDB estate, that would be the best? Or take the bus and train to work?

Please lah, they're all scholars, so they can stop pretending, and it's no harm just being themselves!

Edited by Sosaria
  • Haha! 8

25 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Not bare-chested so it doesn't count [laugh]

I don't know why try so hard to show minister is like common man-in-the-street. Even I am a commoner but I don't ride a motorbike. I don't do tik toks.

Next, what? Must pick up smoking also? Get a sleeve tattoo? To look more blue-collar?

Why not just move to a HDB estate, that would be the best? Or take the bus and train to work?

Please lah, they're all scholars, so they can stop pretending, and it's no harm just being themselves!

Haha. But even the truth about his motorcycle experiences revealed his elite status. Tell me, how many heartlanders can claim to have picked up motorbiking while studying in US, probably on a prestigious scholarship? 😁

None of this bothers me. But it doesn't impress me either. I just see it for what it is. Political wayang. 😋

By the way, he's not bare-chested because noone will want to vote for that. 😂

Khaw-Boon-Wan-exposes-nipples.jpg

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 8

Hmmmm.....

If I am selling washing powder or liquid detergent probably approach him as well......

"I have been washing my own laundry during my uni days" 

"This smell exactly like it did years ago."

Maybe some grocery product....

"During uni days we cooked most of our meals......" 

Now too busy with work .... this XXX brand, easy to prepare meal.... brings back fond memories 🤣🤣

• Haha! 2

11 hours ago, BanCoe said:

I always wondered why Indian doesn't seem to get the same prestige as Harley 🤔, they look amazing too.

Enfield... such a British name.. no one rides it anymore in England meh? Reduced to Indian mass market.

↡ Advertisement