Jurong East flat catches fire again, a day after blaze kills man

DOBIEMKZ

Something is really not right about the flat...

Jurong East flat catches fire again, a day after blaze kills man

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/jurong-east-flat-reignites-one-day-after-fire

AUGUST 17, 2022 PUBLISHED AT 1:04 PM

image.png.834cd09d08af6c19702844b8516e79f5.png

The SCDF were alerted to the second fire at Block 236 Jurong East at about 5am on Aug 17. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out again in a ninth-storey flat in Jurong East on Wednesday morning (Aug 17), a day after it was engulfed in flames.

According to a statement by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), it was alerted to the second fire at Block 236 Jurong East Street 21 at about 5am on Wednesday.

It was found that the fire started in one of the bedrooms, likely reignited by deep-seated embers within the rubble. Firefighters used a water jet to extinguish the flames.

There were no reported injuries from this second fire in the flat.

On Tuesday, a 48-year-old man died after the unit caught fire. Another person who lived in the flat managed to escape before firefighters arrived.

Three residents from a neighbouring flat had to be rescued by firefighters, after clutter along the common corridor left by owners of the affected unit caught fire, blocking their exit path.

One of the three neighbours rescued from the blaze, a 56-year-old information technology analyst who wanted to be known only as Mr Sunil, claimed that the owners of the affected unit had a habit of leaving items, such as household appliances and bags, in the common corridor.

Three water jets and a special platform ladder were used by firefighters, who wore breathing apparatus sets, to fight the first blaze. The fire was fully extinguished in about five hours.

Damping-down operations, involving the application of water to burnt surfaces to prevent potential rekindling of fires, were conducted for about eight hours after the fire was extinguished, the SCDF said then.

Above: A 48-year-old man died in a blaze that engulfed a Jurong East flat on Tuesday (Aug 16) morning. Another person managed to escape from the unit. SCDF put out the fire and rescued three residents from a neighbouring unit.

image.png.a71659231e935841a4981048f4020b44.png

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F3Pm0pcV%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1laD8r33i28HI3RkwOiuqhMsAdsYvWdu56VPLBdLbzSX3Zv7nNvcBiWkE&h=AT1I63m7ax-t4eVGjBfkIXNtpj3o4L3HkJsBDLrb3iXhkU5paYqmp3O4vPKaYyo7o9cB7IUFcFODdjbOs6Kh5iRgepSRdiIsRqjvg5_vdzOIiDNnn9Es05nxRhvgbuyO_Zq6&__tn__=-UK

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 3

"It was found that the fire started in one of the bedrooms, likely reignited by deep-seated embers within the rubble. Firefighters used a water jet to extinguish the flames."

What is it?

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

"It was found that the fire started in one of the bedrooms, likely reignited by deep-seated embers within the rubble. Firefighters used a water jet to extinguish the flames."

What is it?

Contraband contraceptives..??

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Understand it caught fire the 2nd time today. Wonder what is happening. 

May be this year the element of Fire is especially strong. Can burn houses, burn cars and burn trees.

• Sad 1

Supercharged

From the number of chow-tar standing fans in one of the pics, looks like one of the occupants was a hoarder.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kklim said:

From the number of chow-tar standing fans in one of the pics, looks like one of the occupants was a hoarder.

Sometimes I wonder why some people (especially very elderly ones) like to hoard things that they would never use, touch or play with. ://

• Praise 1

Damping-down operations, involving the application of water to burnt surfaces to prevent potential rekindling of fires, were conducted for about eight hours after the fire was extinguished, the SCDF said then.

how could the "deep-seated ambers" be still there if the above have been done properly?

Any SCDF professionals here like to explain?

• Haha! 1

49 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

how could the "deep-seated ambers" be still there if the above have been done properly?

Any SCDF professionals here like to explain?

I have same doubts. 

Doesn't it mean that they had not done a good the first time? I have yet to hear deep-seated ambers that burns a day later.

• Praise 1

I wonder could it be someone go there and burn incense since yesterday one man was killed and it's the 7th month. 

Just like some fatal accident site, usually next day got people burn incense and offering the next day.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 3

I see Bear Grylls work so hard to start a fire with the little bit of embers he managed to get off the makeshift rubbing sticks....

hqdefault.jpg.df2ea472403bd8c9e441495af2897098.jpg

and there you have news report telling me that you pour water and drench the whole place for 8hrs and fire can just rekindle automatically?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Sometimes I wonder why some people (especially very elderly ones) like to hoard things that they would never use, touch or play with. ://

You will know next time when you are old. 🤣

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

What is hoarding?

Hoarding is a severe psychological disorder. Hoarding is a disorder where a person gathers an excessive number of items and stores them. This is usually in a chaotic manner and results in unmanageable amounts of clutter. Hoarding can have a huge impact on a person’s ability to function independently and can carry a high level of risk for themselves and others. It can cause high levels of distress for those who live with a hoarder or who are close to a person who hoards. It can cause difficulties for communities working with people who hoard. Signs of a hoarding disorder may include

• Keeping or collecting items that may have little or no monetary value
  • Finding it hard to categorize or organize items
  • Having difficulties making decisions
  • Struggling to manage everyday tasks, such as cooking, cleaning and paying bills
  • Becoming attached to items and refusing to let anyone touch or borrow them
  • Having poor relationships with family or friends

Treatment options: There is no cure for obsessive-compulsive hoarding, but there are ways to assist the hoarder and help them transition effectively to more healthy behaviors.

What causes hoarding?

Hoarding is a severe psychological disorder where a person gathers an excessive number of items and stores them. The reasons someone become a hoarder include altered brain connections, genetics, stress, OCD, environmental factors and altered levels of serotonin.

Doctors point to several potential causes for a person to become a hoarder.

• Altered brain connections: Studies showed that abnormal brain development and brain lesions could lead to compulsive behaviors of hoarding. Sometimes, hoarding may begin after brain damage due to surgery, stroke, brain injury or infections. Compulsive hoarding is often seen in individuals who have autistic spectrum disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
  • Serotonin and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): Research showed that the chemical serotonin seems to play a part in OCD. It is a chemical that the brain uses to transmit information. Altered serotonin levels may play a role in compulsive hoarding as well. Hoarders may develop the condition much later in life. In addition, hoarders have less awareness that their condition is abnormal compared to patients with OCD.
  • Hereditary: As per research, up to 85 percent of people with compulsive hoarding usually name at least one other family member who has this problem. Hoarders may also have grown up in cluttered homes themselves and derive comfort from the clutter.
  • Environmental conditions: Those who have faced early deprivation may develop hoarding as a coping mechanism later in life. This can be usually found on psychological examination of the patient.
  • Stressful life events: Stressful life events such as a divorce or death of a loved one may trigger hoarding behavior.

Other mental health conditions such as social phobia or fear of social interactions, bipolar disorder, specific phobias or fears, anxiety and depression may give rise to compulsive hoarding behavior. Usually, hoarders may suffer from loneliness, substance abuse or alcohol dependence.

https://www.medicinenet.com/why_does_a_person_become_a_hoarder/article.htm

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

You will know next time when you are old. 🤣

That's what I trying or aiming not to do. I saw my mother likes to buy and hoard so many textiles to self-sew into blouses but seldom does she do it. 😕

↡ Advertisement