Drop in filter vs Airspeed air intake

itsmeagainhk

Update: I just got myself a knn filter and dropped it in. Low end torque and pick up really seems to improve. Could be placebo and I’m stepping more. But it really sounds good.

Do you guys wash the filter and re oil it yourselves ? Many told me that when doing so, should not oil too much as it will affect the maf sensor. I should just forget it and change to a totally new filter at 50k km. 

What are you views on that ?

↡ Advertisement

10 hours ago, itsmeagainhk said:

Update: I just got myself a knn filter and dropped it in. Low end torque and pick up really seems to improve. Could be placebo and I’m stepping more. But it really sounds good.

Do you guys wash the filter and re oil it yourselves ? Many told me that when doing so, should not oil too much as it will affect the maf sensor. I should just forget it and change to a totally new filter at 50k km. 

there will definitely be different intake sound when you step on it lol, re-oiling depends on how long you can tahan until, normally about 20-30K onwards mileage then will need to re- oil.

Yes cannot oil too much. 

15 hours ago, itsmeagainhk said:

when i had K&N filters, i would wash n re-oil every 30k or so. But depends on the conditions in which u drive. Adjust if drive in very dusty areas. K&N sells a recharge kit for this purpose. One bottle to clean, one bottle to re-oil. When re-oil, follow the instructions, don't over do it. After oiling, leave to dry overnight, next day morning install back and good to go. Since the recharge kit lasts very long, u can share with a couple of friends that use K&N too. If done by workshop, they tend to overoil and/or don't let it dry out long enough before installing as it affects their turnaround time.

MAF sensor also good to clean every 20k or 30k with a non-residue contact cleaner (aerosol type)

air intake mod/ air filters is normally the first step into modifications world, got a feeling after this after it is other mods  start to come in like exhaust mods then move to suspension/handling mods, brakes etc.😁

19 hours ago, itsmeagainhk said:

I think most diy coz needs time to really dry up. You don't want any water to go insai the engine.

The nozzle of the oil bottle is quite small. I think you need to try very hard to over oil. Lol. 

Normally I will wash if I know I won't be using the car for at least the next 2 days. I've been cleaning my own filter for over 10 years. Throwing away is quite wasteful. Lol.

On 8/18/2022 at 4:09 PM, Stratovarius said:

there are a couple of videos in YT proved that aftermarket filter does add hp. But it is something that might be hard to feel.

Usually you will noticed they test it to full throttle. Of course at higher engine speeds more air will be needed for combustion. The aftermarket air intake will have less restrictions at higher engine speeds. It justifies that it works whatever they are selling.

But how about at lower engine speeds when the engine dont require so much air? The driver will hardly feel anything at low throttle compared to the stock air intake. So what the driver do is he/she will step harder on the gas pedal to give it more engine speeds...to feel something. The noticeable increased fuel consumption is it really of the air intake or because the driver is increasingly stepping harder on the gas pedal after the install? LoL...

• Praise 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:52 AM, itsmeagainhk said:

I can tell you that the oil from the K&N filter will damage the MAS sensor. Not just that the oil can stick to the throttle body, air intake valves and accumulate residue making them "sticky" over time.

Used to have 1 but was frustrated to use the restrictive stock paper filter while I had to wait for the KnN to dry adequately...went on to get another piece to alternate use for every 3-4 months...it did bring out better sound out of the turbo spool and the aftermarket catback exhaust...however, yes, over oiled filter can foul MAF sensor...

I really feel the pick up is faster and engine feels like it was to go more. But it could be placebo to justify for the money spent. At the moment, im just afraid that i could be re oiling it abit too much next time, but that is something i will take note off. Including the tips from the guys here, to let it dry overnight etc. But i guess, that is something i should worry 30,000 km later. 

I do have a bottle of WD40 contact cleaner aerosol spray that i use for my electronics. Would that be sufficient to clean the MAF sensor ? If sufficient, i may just bring the spray bottle along during my next servicing. Just get my mechanic to spray the MAF every 6 months or so. 

Twincharged

i only tried a mesh cone filter once when i was young and stupid to be conned. had it for a month or 2 before i removed and resold it. all it did was added a drone and let in more dirt to "polish" the cylinder walls.

I now use only factory paper filters and change 30k km. just right amount of dirt accumulation. i dont even feel any restriction.

@Confusedboi Assuming one clean and re oil the exact same amount as per factory, would it still cause the MAF sensor to clog up ? I've done abit of research here and there, most of them point it to reoiling at excessive level overtime thus causing the issue. I have also read the K&N advisory. They have claim that the oil does not cause the MAF sensor to go haywire. 

@Stratovarius That is rather reassuring to hear that you have been cleaning the filters by yourself for the past 10 years. I assume you have not met any kind of MAF sensor issues in the past 10 years ?

After all, with all the COE spikes, we all hope that the car is able to last long. 

7 minutes ago, itsmeagainhk said:

I really feel the pick up is faster and engine feels like it was to go more. But it could be placebo to justify for the money spent. At the moment, im just afraid that i could be re oiling it abit too much next time, but that is something i will take note off. Including the tips from the guys here, to let it dry overnight etc. But i guess, that is something i should worry 30,000 km later. 

I do have a bottle of WD40 contact cleaner aerosol spray that i use for my electronics. Would that be sufficient to clean the MAF sensor ? If sufficient, i may just bring the spray bottle along during my next servicing. Just get my mechanic to spray the MAF every 6 months or so. 

No don't use usual WD40 degreaser on sensor...use cleaner specifically for electronics...but I hazard a guess that WD40 may have come out with one that's meant for electronics by now 

I use CDC brand bought from kelantan Lane area...

↡ Advertisement