Drop in filter vs Airspeed air intake

itsmeagainhk

@Colin03 I see. I did check a bit here and there. If i were to remove the scoop and rubber ducts, the air that will be going into the air box will be warmer i guess. The entrance of the airbox is right behind a radiator, in the engine bay. 

Stock setting is that the scoop is infront of the radiator. But i get what you are saying. Thank you!

↡ Advertisement

9 minutes ago, itsmeagainhk said:

@mersaylee I suppose brand new k&n filter is just nicely oiled with the correct amount from the factory ?

Yes, but after a while still have to wash, clean then reoil...especially if your daily route has lots of dusts...

31 minutes ago, itsmeagainhk said:

@Stratovarius That is rather reassuring to hear that you have been cleaning the filters by yourself for the past 10 years. I assume you have not met any kind of MAF sensor issues in the past 10 years ?

After all, with all the COE spikes, we all hope that the car is able to last long. 

So far no, for both my previous and current ride. Maybe I'm lucky. But honestly, i doubt there will be any issues caused by the oil if you follow the instructions closely. Most of the times i will say i under oil mine since it's quite tedious to apply the oil evenly throughout the filter (you will know what i mean after you try cleaning for the first time). Or maybe im just impatient. 

Dont worry too much on that, your engine won't "piang" that easily just because of air filter. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, itsmeagainhk said:

@Stratovarius That is rather reassuring to hear that you have been cleaning the filters by yourself for the past 10 years. I assume you have not met any kind of MAF sensor issues in the past 10 years ?

After all, with all the COE spikes, we all hope that the car is able to last long. 

Dont worry.

I been using K&N since 1990 till now and present car also using.

With local road conditions,It can last till min 80K km before you need to wash and oil.

After you apply the oil,if you worry over-oiled,just use tissue paper to wipe and soak the cotton fliter to suck up any access oil before you put back onto you car.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, itsmeagainhk said:

@Confusedboi Assuming one clean and re oil the exact same amount as per factory, would it still cause the MAF sensor to clog up ? I've done abit of research here and there, most of them point it to reoiling at excessive level overtime thus causing the issue. I have also read the K&N advisory. They have claim that the oil does not cause the MAF sensor to go haywire. 

Don’t think the maf sensor will clog up unless really oil too much. Recently was at Fong Kim workshop back in April and they helped me to reoil my k and n filter since I just bought oil cleaning kit from them and bought mini 4 pot big brake kit to install on my car. So far no issues since the air filter was re-oiled.

2 hours ago, itsmeagainhk said:

@Confusedboi I know right. To be honest, i have done a couple exterior mods here and there. It is just i dare not touch anything under the bonnet for fear of "spoiling" the engine. If you get what i mean ... 

lol no need to worry so much, for your car got legal exhaust option like HKS legal exhaust muffler. But think your low end might suffer a bit unless you send the car to tune . Or you can go for package below if got budget , suspension, handling mods plus exhaust mods. But your ride might be less comfortable since your chasis will be stiffened to reduce body roll when cornering, there is a trade off sadly 😁https://www.jeepchee.com/product-page/honda-fit-jazz-gk-tanabe-makeover-package?fs=e&s=cl

Edited by Confusedboi

Placebo effect is very real.

I share one of my experience. Years ago I installed an off the shelf piggyback for my current car. There are many of this type of piggys that tricks the turbo charged engine to boost more and hence produce more power. The UK manufacturer seems reputable n claims up to 20% more power on their website. The engine was otherwise totally stock. Short story, I never can tell for sure that there was even a difference, but I ket it running for a few years. Mental happiness at the most.

Come to more recent times, I finally found someone to tune my car. He advised to at least mod the air intake before tune. So we settled on drop in filter. He got me BMC which seems quite reputable as K&N. So, before tuning I asked him to help measure the power when stock and with the piggy I mentioned above. Results was that the piggy did nothing. So it became verified snake oil by the dyno only after 4 years!

So of course, after the tune I felt a change and it was also verified with measurement. So I cannot compare on stock vs BMC filter at that point.

Anyway, recently I bought the regeneration kit to clean the BMC filter. I took it out and put in the old stock filter (good to keep as backup). I intend to take my time to clean, dry and oil it at home (still WIP as of today). I cannot observe difference before and after, with the now-tuned car. Lesson learnt is that I should have went for the CAI option.

But I must still say, like most people in this forum who have interest in cars and mods, many things we have to experience it ourselves. When we mod, we must go in educated and know the risks of safety and of effectiveness. For myself, lesson learnt is to ka ka mod, don't do subtle mods, else stay stock. This lesson assumes I can turn back the clock. But since I getting older also, I am more inclined to stay stock if the next time I have a new car.

• Praise 4

On 8/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, itsmeagainhk said:

@Sktan10 Wow 80k km ? That is very good mileage in between washes!

@itsmeagainhk 

K&N High-Flow Air Filters™ are designed to last for the life of your vehicle, and are protected by a Million-Mile Limited Warranty. With normal use, they can go up to 50,000 miles before a cleaning is needed (the larger conical filters included with K&N intake systems can go up to 100,000 miles between services).

50K miles=80462 km

Buy one for $90 and use for 10yrs if u intend to keep your car long should be cost effective.

Average you need to wash one time and can last till car scrap.😁😁

I'm surprised so many leave the interval between wash so wide...i washed them every 3-4 months when I had them...granted that not every time the water was dirty during wash...maybe it was due to my area was very dusty with many heavy trucks and I actually enjoyed this simple diy...😁

2 items I bought but never get to install were open pod and oil catch tank...sold at dirt cheap price to vultures in the end 😂

On 8/23/2022 at 3:04 PM, Columbian78 said:

Placebo effect is very real.

I share one of my experience. Years ago I installed an off the shelf piggyback for my current car. There are many of this type of piggys that tricks the turbo charged engine to boost more and hence produce more power. The UK manufacturer seems reputable n claims up to 20% more power on their website. The engine was otherwise totally stock. Short story, I never can tell for sure that there was even a difference, but I ket it running for a few years. Mental happiness at the most.

Come to more recent times, I finally found someone to tune my car. He advised to at least mod the air intake before tune. So we settled on drop in filter. He got me BMC which seems quite reputable as K&N. So, before tuning I asked him to help measure the power when stock and with the piggy I mentioned above. Results was that the piggy did nothing. So it became verified snake oil by the dyno only after 4 years!

So of course, after the tune I felt a change and it was also verified with measurement. So I cannot compare on stock vs BMC filter at that point.

Anyway, recently I bought the regeneration kit to clean the BMC filter. I took it out and put in the old stock filter (good to keep as backup). I intend to take my time to clean, dry and oil it at home (still WIP as of today). I cannot observe difference before and after, with the now-tuned car. Lesson learnt is that I should have went for the CAI option.

But I must still say, like most people in this forum who have interest in cars and mods, many things we have to experience it ourselves. When we mod, we must go in educated and know the risks of safety and of effectiveness. For myself, lesson learnt is to ka ka mod, don't do subtle mods, else stay stock. This lesson assumes I can turn back the clock. But since I getting older also, I am more inclined to stay stock if the next time I have a new car.

unichip? 

piggyback ecu were very popular back then but are quite unreliable. some say the ecu will detect the piggyback after awhile and revert to old parameters. i had one and gave me tons of problems. After which i sold and install a proper aftermarket ECU. 

Current ride has done stock ecu tuning. though i say not as good as a proper aftermarket ECU, there is no hardware to change and more accessible. 

Standard mod for engine is intake, manifold, exhaust. TC go for higher boost, NA go for cams and valves or increase cylinder size. I even saw someone went to core up the exhaust port on the cylinder head for his vezel. 😄 End of the day, change car better.

5 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

unichip? 

piggyback ecu were very popular back then but are quite unreliable. some say the ecu will detect the piggyback after awhile and revert to old parameters. i had one and gave me tons of problems. After which i sold and install a proper aftermarket ECU. 

Current ride has done stock ecu tuning. though i say not as good as a proper aftermarket ECU, there is no hardware to change and more accessible. 

Standard mod for engine is intake, manifold, exhaust. TC go for higher boost, NA go for cams and valves or increase cylinder size. I even saw someone went to core up the exhaust port on the cylinder head for his vezel. 😄 End of the day, change car better.

Not unichip. I thought unichip is hardware-off-the-shelf and still need to tune after install on the specific car. Not buy, plug and play

I don't want to mention mine brand even though recent years don't seem to see mention of them here in sg anymore. Its like racechip ultimate, plug and play. The manufacturer already programmed the unit for your car/engine. Mine slots in at the boost sensor. Then I can even press button to choose from 1 to 7 how much extra to boost.

↡ Advertisement