Vietnam to make Apple Watch and MacBook for first time

steveluv

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Vietnam-to-make-Apple-Watch-and-MacBook-for-first-time-ever?utm_campaign=GL_techAsia&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NA_newsletter&utm_content=article_link&del_type=5&pub_date=20220818150000&seq_num=11&si=44594

Vietnam to make Apple Watch and MacBook for first time ever
Country benefits as tech giant looks to build more products outside of China

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.am
Producing the highly sophisticated Apple Watch would be a win for Vietnam as it attempts to further upgrade its tech manufacturing sector. (Source photos by AP and Reuters) 
CHENG TING-FANG and LAULY LI, Nikkei Asia tech correspondentsAugust 17, 2022 11:04 JST

TAIPEI -- Apple is in talks to make Apple Watches and MacBooks in Vietnam for the first time, marking a further win for the Southeast Asian country as the U.S. tech giant looks to diversify production away from China.

Apple suppliers Luxshare Precision Industry and Foxconn have started test production of the Apple Watch in northern Vietnam with the aim of producing the device outside of China for the very first time, three people with direct knowledge of the matter told Nikkei Asia.

Vietnam is already Apple's most important production hub outside of China, producing a wide range of flagship products for the American company, including iPad tablets and AirPods earphones.

The Apple Watch is even more sophisticated, according to industry experts, who say that squeezing so many components into such a small case requires a high degree of technological skill. Producing the device would be a win for Vietnam as the country attempts to further upgrade its tech manufacturing sector.

Apple has also continued to shift iPad production to Vietnam after COVID-related lockdowns in Shanghai caused massive supply chain disruptions. BYD of China was the first to assist with this shift, though sources told Nikkei Asia that Foxconn, too, is now helping build more iPads in the Southeast Asian nation. Apple is also in talks with suppliers to build test production lines for its HomePod smart speakers in Vietnam, the people said.

On the MacBook front, Apple has asked suppliers to set up a test production line in Vietnam, two sources said. However, progress in moving mass production to the country has been slow, partly due to pandemic-related disruptions but also because notebook computer production involves a larger supply chain, multiple sources said. That network is currently centered on China and very cost-competitive, they added.

"AirPods, Apple Watch, HomePod and more ... Apple has big plans in Vietnam, apart from iPhone manufacturing," one of the people with direct knowledge of the situation said. "The components for MacBooks have become more modularized than in the past, which makes it easier to produce the laptops outside of China. But how to make it cost-competitive is another challenge."

Apple's diversification to Vietnam started with AirPods, which went into mass production there in 2020. The earphones were among the first Apple products whose assembly was shifted out of China after a trade war between Washington and Beijing broke out under former U.S. President Donald Trump.

The move signaled a change of approach for Apple, which had depended on China for almost all of its production needs for decades.

For Vietnam, Apple's shift -- and the U.S.-China tensions more broadly -- have been a boon. The number of Apple suppliers with facilities in the country has increased to at least 22 from 14 in 2018, according to Nikkei Asia's analysis of Apple's latest available suppliers list and interviews with sources. Many other major electronics manufacturers like Google, Dell and Amazon have also set up production in Vietnam to diversify beyond China, Nikkei Asia has previously reported.

Eddie Han, a senior analyst with Isaiah Research, told Nikkei Asia that electronics makers are trying to strike a balance amid Washington-Beijing tensions.

"Geographically, we find major international electronics brands such as Apple and Samsung trying to lower dependence on making products inside China. But on the other hand, these international players have adopted more China-based suppliers such as Luxshare and BYD for Apple, and Huaqin for Samsung to build more of their products," Han said. "Those are moves to balance the geopolitical impacts."

"China's role as the world's most important factory has been challenged since the trade war and then later its energy and zero-COVID policies," Han said. "That really makes Vietnam, which is close to China, an ideal destination for many electronics makers as the nation gradually grows its supply chain ecosystem."

Apple, Foxconn and Luxshare did not respond to Nikkei Asia's request for comment. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

2 hours ago, steveluv said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Vietnam-to-make-Apple-Watch-and-MacBook-for-first-time-ever?utm_campaign=GL_techAsia&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NA_newsletter&utm_content=article_link&del_type=5&pub_date=20220818150000&seq_num=11&si=44594

Vietnam to make Apple Watch and MacBook for first time ever
Country benefits as tech giant looks to build more products outside of China

https%253A%252F%252Fs3-ap-northeast-1.am
Producing the highly sophisticated Apple Watch would be a win for Vietnam as it attempts to further upgrade its tech manufacturing sector. (Source photos by AP and Reuters) 
CHENG TING-FANG and LAULY LI, Nikkei Asia tech correspondentsAugust 17, 2022 11:04 JST

TAIPEI -- Apple is in talks to make Apple Watches and MacBooks in Vietnam for the first time, marking a further win for the Southeast Asian country as the U.S. tech giant looks to diversify production away from China.

Apple suppliers Luxshare Precision Industry and Foxconn have started test production of the Apple Watch in northern Vietnam with the aim of producing the device outside of China for the very first time, three people with direct knowledge of the matter told Nikkei Asia.

Vietnam is already Apple's most important production hub outside of China, producing a wide range of flagship products for the American company, including iPad tablets and AirPods earphones.

The Apple Watch is even more sophisticated, according to industry experts, who say that squeezing so many components into such a small case requires a high degree of technological skill. Producing the device would be a win for Vietnam as the country attempts to further upgrade its tech manufacturing sector.

Apple has also continued to shift iPad production to Vietnam after COVID-related lockdowns in Shanghai caused massive supply chain disruptions. BYD of China was the first to assist with this shift, though sources told Nikkei Asia that Foxconn, too, is now helping build more iPads in the Southeast Asian nation. Apple is also in talks with suppliers to build test production lines for its HomePod smart speakers in Vietnam, the people said.

On the MacBook front, Apple has asked suppliers to set up a test production line in Vietnam, two sources said. However, progress in moving mass production to the country has been slow, partly due to pandemic-related disruptions but also because notebook computer production involves a larger supply chain, multiple sources said. That network is currently centered on China and very cost-competitive, they added.

"AirPods, Apple Watch, HomePod and more ... Apple has big plans in Vietnam, apart from iPhone manufacturing," one of the people with direct knowledge of the situation said. "The components for MacBooks have become more modularized than in the past, which makes it easier to produce the laptops outside of China. But how to make it cost-competitive is another challenge."

Apple's diversification to Vietnam started with AirPods, which went into mass production there in 2020. The earphones were among the first Apple products whose assembly was shifted out of China after a trade war between Washington and Beijing broke out under former U.S. President Donald Trump.

The move signaled a change of approach for Apple, which had depended on China for almost all of its production needs for decades.

For Vietnam, Apple's shift -- and the U.S.-China tensions more broadly -- have been a boon. The number of Apple suppliers with facilities in the country has increased to at least 22 from 14 in 2018, according to Nikkei Asia's analysis of Apple's latest available suppliers list and interviews with sources. Many other major electronics manufacturers like Google, Dell and Amazon have also set up production in Vietnam to diversify beyond China, Nikkei Asia has previously reported.

Eddie Han, a senior analyst with Isaiah Research, told Nikkei Asia that electronics makers are trying to strike a balance amid Washington-Beijing tensions.

"Geographically, we find major international electronics brands such as Apple and Samsung trying to lower dependence on making products inside China. But on the other hand, these international players have adopted more China-based suppliers such as Luxshare and BYD for Apple, and Huaqin for Samsung to build more of their products," Han said. "Those are moves to balance the geopolitical impacts."

"China's role as the world's most important factory has been challenged since the trade war and then later its energy and zero-COVID policies," Han said. "That really makes Vietnam, which is close to China, an ideal destination for many electronics makers as the nation gradually grows its supply chain ecosystem."

Apple, Foxconn and Luxshare did not respond to Nikkei Asia's request for comment. 

Not new, Samsung has been making phones and their parts in Vietnam since time immemorial, some of my pre smartphone handsets have batteries mentioning "made in Vietnam"

• Praise 3

28 minutes ago, Brass said:

Not new, Samsung has been making phones and their parts in Vietnam since time immemorial, some of my pre smartphone handsets have batteries mentioning "made in Vietnam"

Some process of OLED display for Samsung and LG are done in Bac Ninh, Vietnam.  A industrial city near Hanoi.

Apple OLED display from Samsung and LG also partly process there. 

The Samsung factory there is like a town by itself. 

• Praise 3

56 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

To bro TF4, size does matter 😁

beautiful-vietnamese-5.jpg

vietnamese-lady-2.png

female-viet-cong-soldiers-20.jpg

Let's wait for @Jamesc to enlighten us further.. he the sexpert in Vietnam market.. whahahahahahhaha.. 

• Haha! 8

i am also doing my part to support the vietnamese economy. I always tell mamasan, i only want vietnamese hor. Must be playful type. Big headlights.... 

Missing the barber chair in HCM..... *Slurps* 

Edited by Estrangable
  • Haha! 2

Vietnamese are very smart.

Big headlights equals smarter.

Not I say one.

A lady told me that.

She got big headlights 

:D

2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Let's wait for @Jamesc to enlighten us further.. he the sexpert in Vietnam market.. whahahahahahhaha.. 

• Haha! 4

10 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Not I say one.

A lady told me that.

She got big headlights 

I been studying on thier big headlights for many years.. i strongly believe their motor riding aids in the development of such headlights. The constant vibration of the bike and uneven road definitely helps..Will further my studies if my time allows! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha! 9

14 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Not I say one.

A lady told me that.

She got big headlights 

🤨 ... 🤔 ... 👌

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

I been studying on thier big headlights for many years.. i strongly believe their motor riding aids in the development of such headlights. The constant vibration of the bike and uneven road definitely helps..Will further my studies if my time allows! 🤣🤣🤣

They don't ride Harley leh. Where got vibration?🤣

• Haha! 4

20 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Roads outside of HCM look smooth as Viet bu face.

When I ride a bicycle through it, it feels like boat riding.

Really CCB

22 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

They don't ride Harley leh. Where got vibration?🤣

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Roads outside of HCM look smooth as Viet bu face.

When I ride a bicycle through it, it feels like boat riding.

Really CCB

Thanks for sharing! Guess my study been wrong all these while.. let me rethink and strategize again.. must get more ladies to do this study next trip to Vietnam.. of cos if can I visit Apple factory..

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged

Wah lao, you all talk on this topic, I cannot talk even the word "A".....I can only say that "Fruit Company"😂

Jia Lat, I have to just tok purely kok

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Who doesn't like Vietnamese Syt...i mean Silk...

Watch the "apples" of your eyes discreetly if you're at work or at home with your wife or mil around hor 😁

R.jpg

4321984442_268d48a629.jpg

1b964ec1ba521d625aef4c155875ffcd.jpg

bc28284974f73960d0806dcabd0e7ecd.jpg

f93e439a19c9c5f2964d055b0110c421.jpg

5892642df947d87d73a7542390af669e.jpg

8603f9beb0aa64b9c427a4ca21042f5b.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2