Should aspiring S'pore citizens be assessed by a jury of ordinary S’poreans?

Vratenza

George Yeo: Musings is a collection of just that: The former foreign minister’s musings across various diverse topics.

Series One, the first of three books, contains Yeo’s thoughts about identity, Singapore’s diversity, and how this affects the country’s relationships with the rest of the world, including China and India.

The book is written by Yeo, with Woon Tai Ho, and published by World Scientific. It will be available at all major bookstores from September 2022, but Mothership readers can pre-order a copy here with the promo code “WSMSGY20” and get 20 per cent off.

An excerpt from Chapter 3, “Big Singapore”, is reproduced here.

By George Yeo, with Woon Tai Ho

As Foreign Minister, I was keen to build Singapore’s friendships with other small countries.

In the United Nations (UN), most countries are small. The solidarity of small countries is an important aspect of our foreign policy.

I disliked how Singapore was described as punching above her weight, as if we have become too big for our boots. Such boasts do not endear us to other small countries. The higher we climb, the more we have to turn back and help others move up the ladder.

I enjoyed visiting other small countries. Visiting big countries, I was sometimes made to feel like a supplicant.

After one World Economic Forum in Davos, I visited Liechtenstein, a tiny nation of 38,000 people sandwiched between Austria and Switzerland. There is a joke that if you take a nap in the car, you might miss the country completely.

My host, Foreign Minister Aurelia Frick, could hardly believe her ears when I said I was going to spend a night there. I was intrigued by her beautiful little country and wanted to get a sense of it. We became good friends. Long after I left government, she would still ask after me. Till today, the wallpaper on my iPad is a picture of Liechtenstein.

Aurelia shared Liechtenstein’s policy on immigration with me. Despite its tiny population, Liechtenstein is careful in whom it takes in as new citizens. Citizenship is conditional on the acceptance of the individual by the local community. Only a few dozen residence permits are given every year. All new migrants must learn German. Most importantly, local Liechtensteinians must feel that you can be one of them.

I have been floating a similar proposal to former colleagues in the Singapore government. Before approving new citizenships, why not run candidates past a jury of ordinary Singaporeans? Let them be interviewed first.

We can tell the jury that they should not blackball too many candidates, maybe, let us say, two out of 10. They should be provided with the applicant’s background and allowed to ask whatever questions they wish.

Let us say a wealthy businessman from China wants to become a citizen. Our jury can ask him about his knowledge of Malays and Indians in Singapore. Does he know what halal means?

When an Indian walks in, they can ask him how he would relate to local Indians, many of whom might have descended from castes lower than his. Of course, words are just words. What have they actually done to benefit ordinary Singaporeans?

Such a process would alter the psychology of new citizenships. Word would get around with lightning speed among applicants that they have not only to impress the Economic Development Board (EDB) and Ministry of Manpower (MOM), but also ordinary Singaporeans.

Ordinary Singaporeans will feel that they have a say in who can become fellow Singaporeans.

Like anxious parents wanting their children to get into good schools, prospective citizenship applicants will build up a track record of local involvement. I would suggest a further step: that the status of new citizens be provisional for, say, five years.

Interesting proposition. What do you all think?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Sarpork!! But the sinkies interviewing have to be accorded unbiased and with impartiality in their approach. The selection panel of this jury has to have a proper rubrics as well on criteria of selection

• Praise 5

Sounds good on paper, and the key is implementation as always..

Who determines the Panel and what would be the criteria?

The Grab driver, the Pregnant mother, or the grassroots PBM? 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

5 minutes ago, Sturtles said:

the panel position is open up for every 1. and we vote on who we want to choose? 

and we got reselection like every 2 years?

Edited by Beregond

Er... May I ask who will police the newly minted Citizens? The small country he cited has only 38,000 citizens. The minute or hour or day you stepped out of character, u stand out like a sore thumb. 

The sole benefit of such a process is to ensure one keeps to "culture, character, lifestyle" of citizens. 

We dun have enuff whinny and kpkb citizens in our midst isit? 😂

I do see an abuse of such a process simply because ppl can act, better than some would say wayang. Qualifications can be faked, heck, the ones selecting and the ones selected may even have a relationship or prior deal. 

Nah, I am just looking at another angle of the coin. Being one who look at situations with half full stomach, oops, I mean, eyesight, I am OK with more whinny and sinking wannabes. 👌👍

😅😅Yada-ing. No need to kill me. I am true blue blooded like many here. 

Stay safe all and have a good weekend. 

Cheers 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

No need so complicated.

Besides the usual current criteria, also make them do a written and an oral Singlish exam.  If pass, means can integrate.......😁

• Haha! 2

my friend asking can volunteer to help naturalising new citizens 🙈🙉🙊

errr applicable to all xmm syt only🙏🙏🙏

maybe milf too 👍👍👍

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

52 minutes ago, Sturtles said:

Just thinking out loud, maybe similar to US Jury duties call up (just like national service) where random?/systemic selection of local born citizens will be selected in batches and tasked to perform the assessment lead by an official.

Reward for these selected citizens? That year's NDP ticket(S) :D

1 hour ago, RadX said:

Sarpork!! But the sinkies interviewing have to be accorded unbiased and with impartiality in their approach. The selection panel of this jury has to have a proper rubrics as well on criteria of selection

Simi panel you say? Ownself check ownself kind or fix oppo kind? 😁

161221_COP_youtube1.jpeg

• Haha! 14

3 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Just thinking out loud, maybe similar to US Jury duties call up (just like national service) where random?/systemic selection of local born citizens will be selected in batches and tasked to perform the assessment lead by an official.

Reward for these selected citizens? That year's NDP ticket(S) :D

must show tears in front of camera? [laugh]

• Haha! 5

9 minutes ago, Freeder said:

@RogerNg_185295 u should be in the panel of jury..Paging @RadX pls support😂

All "aspiring" sinkies sure kanna instant HBP plus their WTF IS HAPPENING NOW looks😂😂

Gd idea

all ceca applications go to him

all sure balik kampong… 😂😂

essentially it is living to its name as a real troll!!! Gate troll in this case

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Sturtles said:

Suddenly our Elected President come to my mind....

nevermind then....can't be bother liao.....

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, RadX said:

Gd idea

all ceca applications go to him

all sure balik kampong… 😂😂

Plus all current new CECA converts..

All sure renounce on the spot😂😂😂

• Haha! 3

20 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

must...but question is which style? :D

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.67005be7cb801f9685d8ea1bbc0b1f8f.jpgdownload.jpg.3a776f34db463d6bfea64edac1085a27.jpg

Can start a “Crying” school for those aspirants😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2