Thinking of changing from used jazz to used golf

Sissypoo

thinking of changing from a coe jazz to a parf golf. my coe for my jazz is till 2024 april. been searching on sgcarmart and carousell almost every other day. im aware volkswagens have a spotty reputation for longevity especially used ones but i've done my calculations and im prepared to set aside a budget to repair

some concerns, other than possible chance of a failing mechatronic, clutch, water pump, leaks, anything else to look out for?

looking at this particular consignment unit, with the intention to renew for another 10 years but pqp might be too crazy then

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1123969&DL=3414

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Sissypoo said:

thinking of changing from a coe jazz to a parf golf. my coe for my jazz is till 2024 april. been searching on sgcarmart and carousell almost every other day. im aware volkswagens have a spotty reputation for longevity especially used ones but i've done my calculations and im prepared to set aside a budget to repair

some concerns, other than possible chance of a failing mechatronic, clutch, water pump, leaks, anything else to look out for?

looking at this particular consignment unit, with the intention to renew for another 10 years but pqp might be too crazy then

May i know if it is driving performance you are after?

Do note that this model is using the worldwide infamous dry DQ200 DSG gearbox on reliability and jerky performance.

Why not try the civic turbo for with lower depreciation? For example, https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1114171&DL=4031

Japanese reliability, practicality and In terms of performance, would be on par or even better than the golf.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 7

25 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Do note that this model is using the worldwide infamous dry DQ200 DSG gearbox on reliability and jerky performance.

Why not try the civic turbo for with lower depreciation? For example, https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1114171&DL=4031

Japanese reliability, practicality and In terms of performance, would be on par or even better than the golf.

TS wanted to try German Cars,tired of Honda.

1 hour ago, ER-3682 said:

@Tkseah I think Backside itch,wanted to try German Car...He will be visiting Workshops very often in a 7 Years old,high Mileage,with slight Mods VW Golf.

I dun blame TS. Between dying of boredom n visiting workshop, the latter seems less painful....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

2 hours ago, Sissypoo said:

why do u want to change? what's wrong with current jazz and what do u want in the next car?

if your budget is $16k++ p.a., there are probably better options to look at. 

22 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I understand that this model is using the notorious 7 spd gearbox.. I read/watch from multiple sources that the mk7 golf have a different software as well as an "upgraded" mechatronic that reduces premature failure/ excess wear of the clutch.. I have not test driven any golf yet so I'm not sure on the jerky performance. Eyeing a golf merely because I'm looking for a hatchback that is within the Cat A COE.

10 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

TS wanted to try German Cars,tired of Honda.

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Maybe i seek for problematic cars Hehe. Am looking at the 1.4 hyundai i30 as well.. you have got recommendations? 

13 minutes ago, Sissypoo said:

I understand that this model is using the notorious 7 spd gearbox.. I read/watch from multiple sources that the mk7 golf have a different software as well as an "upgraded" mechatronic that reduces premature failure/ excess wear of the clutch.. I have not test driven any golf yet so I'm not sure on the jerky performance. Eyeing a golf merely because I'm looking for a hatchback that is within the Cat A COE.

when at slow speed (such as in carpark), drive it in manual mode so it won't keep searching/switching gears.

7 spd is not the issue - the issue is it is dry clutch.

• Praise 3

Twincharged
11 minutes ago, Sissypoo said:

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Maybe i seek for problematic cars Hehe. Am looking at the 1.4 hyundai i30 as well.. you have got recommendations? 

Save the money and hassle la. Jazz cheap to run. If you feeling too rich to throw away money, might as well donate it away. I think it’s better use of the money than dumping it into a money pit golf. 

1. surely you will need more money to cater for maintenance on Golf.

2. in addition to money, do you have enough time to handle going back and forth workshops?

3. you will lose money when you sell your Jazz but you pay more for Golf, you need to compute the total variance. 

4. the car has got some mod, not sure if those mod could pass LTA inspection, if they fail, you will need more money to restore them to the original condition.

5. if you really want to proceed, better send the car for a full check to ensure the under carriage is in good shape and the engine has no strange error messages.

6. despite turbo, being a CAT A car, you will not feel significant  power increaemental, since you are prepared to pay 16.5k depre, there might be some cat B car that  could provide you with much better power. It does not matter  whether cat A or B since you are buying a used car. 

• Praise 8

14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Save the money and hassle la. Jazz cheap to run. If you feeling too rich to throw away money, might as well donate it away. I think it’s better use of the money than dumping it into a money pit golf. 

agree, Japanese car cant be wrong in reliability in general. my COE Altis is so boring that nothing can be spoiled other than wear and tear.😂 whereas the E200 just set me back by 2.7k 2 months ago to reaplce and reprogram the front SAM 🤣 

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 7