Thinking of changing from used jazz to used golf

Sissypoo

Turbocharged

The worst thing about car ownership is sending it to the workshop for repairs regularly causing lots of downtime, rushing for appointment and the damn car cannot start or breakdown halfway and then still have to spend a bomb to get it repaired.

I is lao lang so favour reliability and cost savings over performance.

Edited by Kxbc
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

The worst thing about car ownership is sending it to the workshop of repairs regularly causing lots of downtime, rushing for appointment and the damn car cannot start or breakdown halfway and then still have to spend a bomb to get it repaired.

Not a good experience that your car breakdown halfway on the road or in some carpark outside. I rather that the car cannot start at my own house carpark there. Lol.

11 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

People happy then let them buy lah.

As long as you know what you're getting into, and are prepared for it, then go for it lor.

yah, gib chance lah. haha. 

In fact TS has prepared and budgeted for it, so it is ok. While  he might have underestimated the extent of the problems,  some of us here(me included)  might have overestimated the problems as well. I am sure some owners would have had problem free experience too. 

Life is short, so if he is prepared and intend to give it a try, he should do it. He is correct to create a thread to ask for feedback.  The good thing is he would be more aware of what he is walking into, and along the way of discussion, some more familiar bros with VW have given him practical advice while some others provide alternative suggestions.  Like  I told him to consider some other CAT B options for that kind of money he is willing to part with though may not necessarily be what he wants.

Hope TS could gather more comprehensive info from this thread to help him make a more informed decision. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 11

15 hours ago, Sissypoo said:

I understand that this model is using the notorious 7 spd gearbox.. I read/watch from multiple sources that the mk7 golf have a different software as well as an "upgraded" mechatronic that reduces premature failure/ excess wear of the clutch.. I have not test driven any golf yet so I'm not sure on the jerky performance. Eyeing a golf merely because I'm looking for a hatchback that is within the Cat A COE.

I used to drive the mk6 jetta, owned by my father as our family's second car (we also own the mk5 jetta for about 1+ years before my dad changed to this), which me and brother will always fight who gets to drive. Which, I think has been abused by us since day 1. It is a zippy little car with 118kW of power, the drive was good but a little hesitant in start stop traffic, although I do not find the shifts jerky. 

Our car had the mechatronic unit failed at around the 5-6 year mark. Just a few weeks before the failure, the shifts were slightly longer than usual and jerky. I'm not sure whether the mk7 golf has fixed this issue but just take note and be prepared. There was this brake servo error, but was quickly fixed under warranty.

Other than these two issues, the jetta has been problem free until trade-in 1 month before the COE expires at around 178k mileage. My gf who took over driving it at the 7th year mark abused it even more, 25-30k kms driven with no servicing done. Luckily the check engine light came on only as we were driving to the dealership to collect our new car.

Oh, I have also owned very very old Golf GTI mk4 manual in Australia, 0 issues as well.

Truth is for the new car, we basically shortlisted back to a Golf, Polo or a Mazda 3. However my gf chose the Mazda 3 HB purely for the looks.

At the current situation like what other bros here have mentioned, $16.5k depreciation PA, there are certainly lots of other choices. But if you have set your heart for that golf then just go for it.

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
15 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

1. surely you will need more money to cater for maintenance on Golf.

2. in addition to money, do you have enough time to handle going back and forth workshops?

3. you will lose money when you sell your Jazz but you pay more for Golf, you need to compute the total variance. 

4. the car has got some mod, not sure if those mod could pass LTA inspection, if they fail, you will need more money to restore them to the original condition.

5. if you really want to proceed, better send the car for a full check to ensure the under carriage is in good shape and the engine has no strange error messages.

6. despite turbo, being a CAT A car, you will not feel significant  power increaemental, since you are prepared to pay 16.5k depre, there might be some cat B car that  could provide you with much better power. It does not matter  whether cat A or B since you are buying a used car. 

Listen to @Ct3833

Give me I will continue drive a Jazz. Then after that think if I can upgrade to Civic anot. 

• Haha! 3

I appreciate the feedback from everyone that had commented. I honestly value your opinion. Firstly, the reason of this thread was to gather different opinion as well as current owners of golf mk7 on whether it is viable to renew a 2yo car down the road. Like I said in the earlier post, I'm fully aware of the common issue but of course I don't deny that there might be underlying problems that might happen in years to come. 

So instead of bashing the golf based on hearsay, why not contribute like @Vulkan where i can learn more about the car and make better decision.

I'm here to learn, understand more about the car and make better decision in my life. I hope others that are eyeing the car in the future could also find some usefulness in this thread rather than condemning it.

• Praise 6

@Sissypoo Being an owner of the VW Golf, I would really not recommend you changing. Especially those cars with age and modded. No matter how they say they take care, the ware and tear on it is crazy. 

The gearbox is not the only thing you have to worry. The VW group engines are also famous for their piston rings leds going off which can lead to engine oil consumption. The only way is to overhaul the engine. No matter how much you set aside, it seems to be never ending. 

So whoever BS you telling you that the car is well taken care of, no issues are nonsense. Unless you dont mind sitting a tow truck to the workshop.  

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

50 minutes ago, Sissypoo said:

I appreciate the feedback from everyone that had commented. I honestly value your opinion. Firstly, the reason of this thread was to gather different opinion as well as current owners of golf mk7 on whether it is viable to renew a 2yo car down the road. Like I said in the earlier post, I'm fully aware of the common issue but of course I don't deny that there might be underlying problems that might happen in years to come. 

So instead of bashing the golf based on hearsay, why not contribute like @Vulkan where i can learn more about the car and make better decision.

I'm here to learn, understand more about the car and make better decision in my life. I hope others that are eyeing the car in the future could also find some usefulness in this thread rather than condemning it.

Pretty common for people who never have personal experience and bash it based on hearsay 😂 

Edited by Ginyu

Summoned by @BabyBlade to give my input. I've owned/own 2 golfd, MK5 GT Sport and MK7.5 GTI. Both using the DQ250 6 spd wet clutch though, so no mechatronics or clutch issues thus far. 

Ofc, the car is gonna be high maintenance, esp an older one with many owners and significant mileage. I got my MK5 going into this w both eyes open, prepared to spend money, yet still got surprised by how much was needed for repairs (esp since the car wasn/t modded well by the previous owner). He gave me stacks of receipts, and my mistake was to trust in them and not inspect the car at a shop. Owned it for almost 3 years, spend close to or more than 20k overhauling, repairing and ofc, modding it since I'm alr spending money to do it up. 

Yes, financially it's painful, but it was an endearing experience, taught me alot about maintaining cars, how things works, built up connections w many enthusiasts etc. There are days I get so frustrated w the lack of reliability, at a point I called for the tow truck and I didn't even need to tell them where, they just said : eh bro today tow from basement or you managed to bring it up to level one. 

I will no go into details of the parts needed for replacement as I've covered it multiple times over the years in various threas and hate to sound like a broken record. For the MK7, I have 4 or 5 good friends driving it, in various states of mods and even my godma has a 2013 completely stock one.

I would say that it's decently reliable, as my frens mostly have the famed mechatronics and clutch issues, other than that pretty ok. One of them even runs a stage 2 tune with 240k mileage on his end 2014 MK7 and it's going strong. 

However, at 16.5k depre for a 1.4, it's too high, you may want to look for MK7 GTIs which have the infinitely better EA888.3 engine with wet clutch DQ250, as some can be had for 19K depre, which isn't too far off.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1116998&DL=1010

My 2 cents worth. Ran both the MK5 and MK7 tgr for short while before selling the MK5 as I really don't need 2 cars (plus there's another underutilised family car around that I use from time to time).

@Sissypoo

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 17

4 hours ago, SiLangKia said:

Summoned by @BabyBlade to give my input. I've owned/own 2 golfd, MK5 GT Sport and MK7.5 GTI. Both using the DQ250 6 spd wet clutch though, so no mechatronics or clutch issues thus far. 

Ofc, the car is gonna be high maintenance, esp an older one with many owners and significant mileage. I got my MK5 going into this w both eyes open, prepared to spend money, yet still got surprised by how much was needed for repairs (esp since the car wasn/t modded well by the previous owner). He gave me stacks of receipts, and my mistake was to trust in them and not inspect the car at a shop. Owned it for almost 3 years, spend close to or more than 20k overhauling, repairing and ofc, modding it since I'm alr spending money to do it up. 

Yes, financially it's painful, but it was an endearing experience, taught me alot about maintaining cars, how things works, built up connections w many enthusiasts etc. There are days I get so frustrated w the lack of reliability, at a point I called for the tow truck and I didn't even need to tell them where, they just said : eh bro today tow from basement or you managed to bring it up to level one. 

I will no go into details of the parts needed for replacement as I've covered it multiple times over the years in various threas and hate to sound like a broken record. For the MK7, I have 4 or 5 good friends driving it, in various states of mods and even my godma has a 2013 completely stock one.

I would say that it's decently reliable, as my frens mostly have the famed mechatronics and clutch issues, other than that pretty ok. One of them even runs a stage 2 tune with 240k mileage on his end 2014 MK7 and it's going strong. 

However, at 16.5k depre for a 1.4, it's too high, you may want to look for MK7 GTIs which have the infinitely better EA888.3 engine with wet clutch DQ250, as some can be had for 19K depre, which isn't too far off.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1116998&DL=1010

My 2 cents worth. Ran both the MK5 and MK7 tgr for short while before selling the MK5 as I really don't need 2 cars (plus there's another underutilised family car around that I use from time to time).

@Sissypoo

Thank you for sharing your personal experience in owning a golf! 

I'm not particularly certain about the car industry, but generally I feel that parf car that are nearing its 10 years coe tends to sell for a higher price leveraging on the scrap value as well as the parf rebates.  IF I were to purchase a 16.5k/depre car and renew it 2 years later at a pqp of 80k, that should work out to an annual depre of below 9.5k for 12 years of ownership. 

But of course, older cars tend to have more problems esp with a golf that everyone disliked in this forum from the replies I had received.

Financially wise, if i were to look at the long run, will it be a more cost effective choice to extend the coe without including the potential repair cost?

1 hour ago, Sissypoo said:

Thank you for sharing your personal experience in owning a golf! 

I'm not particularly certain about the car industry, but generally I feel that parf car that are nearing its 10 years coe tends to sell for a higher price leveraging on the scrap value as well as the parf rebates.  IF I were to purchase a 16.5k/depre car and renew it 2 years later at a pqp of 80k, that should work out to an annual depre of below 9.5k for 12 years of ownership. 

But of course, older cars tend to have more problems esp with a golf that everyone disliked in this forum from the replies I had received.

Financially wise, if i were to look at the long run, will it be a more cost effective choice to extend the coe without including the potential repair cost?

Of course if you factor in COE renewal and spread the depre over 12 years, it does make sense. But bear in mind that as it gets older, the wear and tear also increases exponentially. My MK5 at 14 years has had an increasing amount of parts change required, even an overhaul (but partly cos it's stage 3 tuned running hybrid turbos but that's a story for another day). In ths last 3 years all the maintenance related, non mod related spending for me is easily 12-14k if you include the overhaul, the rest of the mney being invested in the mods I put in.

The other wear and tear stuff like dampers, suspension control arms, wheel bearings, drive shafts, alternator, radiator, ignition coils, clutch for dsg, water pump, coolant reservoir tank, steering rack, turbo related parts, diverter valve (MK7 1.4 doesn't have), intercooler (MK7 1.4 also doesn't have this), all will need to be looked at in time to come, and the costs do add up quite abit, so bear in mind. An increasing amount of time spent at workshops, as well as days without the car, also become a norm, so that has to be considered as well.

Then again, mine is modified so maybe it accelerates the wear and tear, but generally got Golf it will have quite abit of stuff to do, so budget an addition 3-5k extra per year for maintenance into your calculation, spending anything less than that is a blessing. Parts can be quite cheap, like an ignition coil is only 70plus w labour, to quite ex, like a mechatronic unit sets you back 2.3k all in i think.

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 7

15 hours ago, Kxbc said:

The worst thing about car ownership is sending it to the workshop for repairs regularly causing lots of downtime, rushing for appointment and the damn car cannot start or breakdown halfway and then still have to spend a bomb to get it repaired.

These days not so bad got car lite, getgo, tribecar etc etc. So got many options to rent a car temporarily and settle the car workshop issue when free. =D

My buddy who bought a COE conti knew it was a problematic car yet still buy... I think he really enjoys going to workshop la, get getting the car towed (even tho he complains about it). Sit and chit chat with the workers is an experience he enjoys la...

He tells me that if you not prepared to spend the money (and implicitly the time) to repair the car, then dont buy conti, especially those famous for being problematic.

Edited by yellowshaun
  • Praise 3

@Sissypoo 

Coming as an ex golf (mk6) owner, I'd say, go for a test drive first. If you like how the golf drives (definitely drives better than a Jazz) and how you feel about the car overall, get the car checked by a trusted mechanic before buying and hopefully you are one of the lucky golf owners like myself (previously owned a 2nd hand 6 years old golf and drove it till scrapped without any major problems). 

The naysayers  who were "warning" you about the golf gearbox,  how many has ever owned a golf? Many were simply parroting what they read online without any first hand experience.

How well you take care of your car along with a little bit of luck play a huge role when it comes to your car reliability. I have a friend who also owned a golf with the same type of DQ200 gearbox and like myself he has also never faced any major problem with the car - as a matter of fact, he was the one who recommended me to get my golf back then.. And, I also have friends who owned cars from the supposedly more reliable brand, Honda and they ended up having to replace their gearbox before their COE expired - so I wouldn’t say that Honda is 100% definitely more reliable than VW (at least, based on mine vs my friends experience).  

When doing your test drive, get a feel of how the car moves off from stationery position -  if it is jerky that means that the clutches might already wearing out and might need to be replaced soon. You will have to stop the car and then move off quite a few times to be absolutely sure that there is no jerkiness at all.

Good luck.

• Praise 8

@Sissypoo

I have driven Honda and Toyota previously, changed to VW Passat more than 10 years ago and currently driving the CC for 6 years. Saving up for arteon when this expires in 2 years. Personally I don't think I can go back to Jap car anymore. In my 10+ years of ownership, car died on me twice on the road. Once is the dreaded clutch slip and the other time coil pack. Both times was unscathed and had it repaired. Yes it does come with more than it's fair share of problems and I'm lucky to have found a workshop i stuck with since I made the switch. Prob spent $20k over 10+ years, average around $2k a year. 

I actually think that the car you shortlisted is not a bad choice, esp since you are new to VW. Yes the depre is higher at $16k+, but it's left with only 2 years so your risk is limited to 2 yrs x $16k= $32k. You current Jazz prob can sell for $13k depre, also left with 2 years. So u are only incurring additional $3k per year to make the switch to VW. It is an ideal car for you to 'try out'. The COE is also high at $60k, so you also have some safety net in the worst case scenario. 

Wish you all the best

• Praise 1

Twincharged
22 minutes ago, Matoonia said:

@Sissypoo

I have driven Honda and Toyota previously, changed to VW Passat more than 10 years ago and currently driving the CC for 6 years. Saving up for arteon when this expires in 2 years. Personally I don't think I can go back to Jap car anymore. In my 10+ years of ownership, car died on me twice on the road. Once is the dreaded clutch slip and the other time coil pack. Both times was unscathed and had it repaired. Yes it does come with more than it's fair share of problems and I'm lucky to have found a workshop i stuck with since I made the switch. Prob spent $20k over 10+ years, average around $2k a year. 

I actually think that the car you shortlisted is not a bad choice, esp since you are new to VW. Yes the depre is higher at $16k+, but it's left with only 2 years so your risk is limited to 2 yrs x $16k= $32k. You current Jazz prob can sell for $13k depre, also left with 2 years. So u are only incurring additional $3k per year to make the switch to VW. It is an ideal car for you to 'try out'. The COE is also high at $60k, so you also have some safety net in the worst case scenario. 

Wish you all the best

well, let me present the other side of things with minimal repair cost.

2006-2016 PI toyota wish. 180k km. 1 owner from brand new.

other than oil and oil filter and ATF, brake fluid, aircon filter, tires, battery.

1. Engine drivebelt

2. pair of rear shocks

3. valve cover gasket.

4. 1 set of front pads.

5. 1 set spark plugs.

6. Engine mounts

everything else was orig factory till sold off to dealer. at 9yrs 10mths. i think got change from $1.5k... 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1