Neighbour from the artic

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmustsharenews.com%2F9-aircons-sengkang-flat

Sengkang Resident Says He Needs Nine Aircons To Be Comfortable, Flat Above Must Mop Three Times A Day

But a Singapore man takes the cake by reportedly using a total of nine aircons in his four-room Sengkang flat at the same time. This is because he’s a cancer patient and needs to be comfortable at home.

However, this has caused some inconvenience to his neighbours in the unit above, who have to bear with condensation on their floors.

The 64-year-old resident in question lives in a flat in Block 258A Compassvale Road, reported Shin Min Daily News.

Identified only as Mr Huang, he said he was diagnosed with end-stage liver cancer in 2020 and had to sell off his house to pay for his treatment.

Thus, he moved into his current rented flat in the block a few months ago.

Upon moving in, Mr Huang installed nine aircon units in the flat, despite it only having four rooms.

While there are two of them in the master bedroom, the other two bedrooms have “just” one each.

The living room, however, has five aircon units.

He paid S$13,000 to install the appliances.

Mr Huang told Shin Min that the aircons are turned off when he’s not at home during the daytime. However, when he’s at home, he turns them all on at the same time, set to a frigid 18°C.

He explained that the extreme temperature is due to the hot weather, and it’s how he can feel comfortable at home.

As for his electricity bills, he claimed that they exceeded S$1,000 per month at the previous residences he’d rented.

But he’s cut down a lot on his usage now, so his bill for last month was a comparatively cheap S$350.

While many Singaporeans don’t wear much at home, Mr Huang apparently wears several layers of clothes due to the icy conditions in his flat.

When a Shin Min reporter visited him on Sunday (21 Aug), he was wearing a green sweater over a blue long-sleeved shirt, and three or four layers underneath that.

However, he was also wearing a pair of black shorts.

The chill from his unit could be felt from the corridor outside.

Mr Huang explained that he’s also afraid of the cold.

But for the sake of his comfort, he apparently has no choice but to turn on the aircon and wear more clothes.

He also said keeping the body warm would help improve his immunity — important due to his illness.

For the full story, please visit the website above. 

TLDR:

End stage cancer patient uses a total of 9 aircons in his 4 room hdb flat. Unit above have to mop the floor multiple times a day due to condensation.

We are potentially looking at a system 5 and a system 4 installed in a 4 room HDB flat. This is just about the legal threshold of having two compressors in one space. I've read that cancer patients may experience hot flashes or night sweats as common side effects of cancer treatments or chemotherapy so that might explain the excessive number of aircons. But is there a need for 9 aircons though? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 4

3 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Question: is there a legal threshold to number of aircon compressor and blower units we can install?

HDB guidelines on air-conditioners

According to the HDB website, permits for air-conditioner installation may be required for some types of flat, depending on whether the flat has been equipped with a 30 or 40 amps main switch.

A check on the HDB e-service revealed Huang's block belongs to the latter type.

For flats equipped with the 40 amps main switch, permits are not required for installation and only these guidelines apply:

The running current of air-conditioner should be restricted by a 20 amps double pole (DP) isolator or 15 amps power point

A maximum of 2 split-type air-conditioner condensing units can be installed

The maximum weight allowed is 110kg per wall panel regardless of whether the installation is on the external wall or air-conditioner ledge

For wall mounted air-conditioner condensing units, each wall panel is allowed to have only 1 air-conditioner condensing unit

HDB also stipulates that owners are responsible for the proper installation, safety, and stability of the air-conditioner units.

There does not seem to be any restrictions on the number of air-conditioner units allowed in a HDB flat.

• Praise 2

Set Aircon so Cold & wear Sweater.?This Guy have Shares in Electric Company.? I think he is Crazy.

Edited by ER-3682
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Cheesey74 said:

HDB guidelines on air-conditioners

According to the HDB website, permits for air-conditioner installation may be required for some types of flat, depending on whether the flat has been equipped with a 30 or 40 amps main switch.

A check on the HDB e-service revealed Huang's block belongs to the latter type.

For flats equipped with the 40 amps main switch, permits are not required for installation and only these guidelines apply:

The running current of air-conditioner should be restricted by a 20 amps double pole (DP) isolator or 15 amps power point

A maximum of 2 split-type air-conditioner condensing units can be installed

The maximum weight allowed is 110kg per wall panel regardless of whether the installation is on the external wall or air-conditioner ledge

For wall mounted air-conditioner condensing units, each wall panel is allowed to have only 1 air-conditioner condensing unit

HDB also stipulates that owners are responsible for the proper installation, safety, and stability of the air-conditioner units.

There does not seem to be any restrictions on the number of air-conditioner units allowed in a HDB flat.

9 units need how many compressor?

9 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Question: is there a legal threshold to number of aircon compressor and blower units we can install?

A maximum of two split-type air-conditioner condensing units can be installed. The maximum weight allowed is 110kg per wall panel regardless of whether the installation is on the external wall or air-conditioner ledge.25 Jan 2021

I remember there is a limit on water heater as well.

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1

Even he needs to be comfortable at home due to hot weather, also dont need 9 aircon right? If he just turn one unit aircon temp to 18 deg already very cold liao.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Few factors - elderly + end stage cancer (chronic pain, fear of dying/waiting for death), no mention of family members anywhere in the article so I assume most likely living alone. They may typically display some form of irrational or unusual behaviour and such behaviour may stem from a mental illness?

At the very least, this elderly is willing to make some compromise, by reducing his aircon usage in the living room but still keeping two aircons on in the bedroom (switching off the living room ones when not in use though this should have been the practice right from the get go). I don't understand why you need two aircons for the tiny bedroom though 😆 I can't even deal with one aircon and usually switch it off halfway through the night. 

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, BabyBlade said:

Few factors - elderly + end stage cancer (chronic pain, fear of dying/waiting for death), no mention of family members anywhere in the article so I assume most likely living alone. They may typically display some form of irrational or unusual behaviour and such behaviour may stem from a mental illness? 

Plus is a rented flat, is the owner aware of him installing 9 aircon units? 

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Jman888 said:

Plus is a rented flat, is the owner aware of him installing 9 aircon units? 

Now that the news is out....... Pretty sure the answer is yes 🥴

• Haha! 4

27 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

9 units need how many compressor?

I tink hdb only allow 2 compressors...i suspect it's 2x system 4 plus a window unit 

Internal Moderator
29 minutes ago, Ingenius said:

He's probably preserving a dead body. Why else would one need so low temperature ?

Technically, to "preserve" a dead body for a few weeks you'll require at least temperatures of between 2 °C to 4 °C, but this will only slow down the rate of decomposition. If you want to fully preserve a dead body for keepsake or to hide incriminating evidence 😀, then it's best to install an industrial fridge or freezer at home with temperatures ranging from -10°C to -50 °C. But then I don't know about the level of condensation you will cause to units above AND below yours. Hahaha. 

This brings me to this piece of crazy news. https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4629332

How does the man hide his mother's body in the refrigerator compartment for years? Just imagine the stench and the bodily fluids released. 

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

HDB max is 2 but also depend if the ledge is big enough. Last time a few of my neighbors stack one on top of the other cos the ledge too small. Some say legal, some say otherwise. 

My current resale EC got 3 compressors. My contractor tot my house very big. lol. We stick to 3 cos we dont want to change the ducting works. Only change the compressors and FCU. 

But my question is if more FCU will cool the temperature more. i mean if you set one FCU to 18 degree C, the room will be 18 degree C. You set 2 FCU to 18 degree C, the room will still be 18 degree C. The only difference is 2 FCU will cool the room faster. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3