The Retirement Thread

2 hours ago, Starry said:

stopped working few years back.....so not eligible for this thread. 

All I can say about retirement is that it is something that you need to plan from young, assuming there is no big inheritance or winning toto along the way.

financial sustainability is one thing,  what to do after retirement while not getting into a situation of feeling worthless or sense of loss, feeling fullfilled or at least staying happy. 

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Supercharged
47 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

financial sustainability is one thing,  what to do after retirement while not getting into a situation of feeling worthless or sense of loss, feeling fullfilled or at least staying happy. 

Haha..for me, I do a lot of online courses, from coding python to AI , from digital marketing to design thinking courses.  I love learning and all those online learning platforms (coursera, edx, linkedin learning, etc)  are like candies to me.  Now I got a bunch of  certifications, much more than my working days ...my friends think I am a bit crazy.😄

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 4

2 hours ago, Starry said:

Haha..for me, I do a lot of online courses, from coding python to AI , from digital marketing to design thinking courses.  I love learning and all those online learning platforms (coursera, edx, linkedin learning, etc)  are like candies to me.  Now I got a bunch of  certifications, much more than my working days ...my friends think I am a bit crazy.😄

Glad to know you have a whole bunch of learning activities to keep your mind lubricated.

7 hours ago, BoneStock said:

I am also waiting for golden handshake.  If it doesn't happen, I don't mind working for a few more years.  Anyway, my current job is not super stressful type.

So song ah

Just pulling it together and making this thread a bit more meaningful, lets compile a list of specific to dos, when we retire.  Examples below.

when bored can pick a few to try…

1.   Do a round island cycling trip (park connectors)

2.  Live at least 2 months in a foreign land.

3.  Spend more time on hobby (pet keeping)

4. Catch up on sleep 

5. Catch up with old buddies who are overseas 

6. Plan to do a back pack trip to Japan and stay for a few months with Wifey - just the 2 of us..

Supercharged

4. Catch up on sleep 

6. Plan to do a back pack trip to Japan and stay for a few months with Wifey - just the 2 of us..

7.  Do volunteer work and pay it forward.

• Praise 1

4. Catch up on sleep 

8. Make some donations to the needy (unfortunately my blood donation drive is over - coz on BP medication and soon Cholesterol medication) :yeah-im-not-drunk: 

20 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

I think u hit the nail in the head. One of the key things many people fail to appreciate is what to do after retirement, most people seems so fixated about the financial portion they forgot about the emotional well being portion.

A family member of mine got into depression after being forced into early retirement due to the sudden “loss of authority and sense of purpose” i suspect. The other problem he is struggling with is health. 

• Praise 3

20 hours ago, Starry said:

Respect! While I’m still quite a few years away from retirement, i wish i could share your passion for learning these tech stuffs!

1.   Do a round island cycling trip (park connectors)

4. Catch up on sleep 

8. Make some donations to the needy (unfortunately my blood donation drive is over - coz on BP medication and soon Cholesterol medication)  

9. Share business/work experience by providing consultation to startups / career advises to younger ones.

i hope my son can continue my blood donation legacy....took him once to donate blood, subsequently he says dun wan anymore, he says need to keep fit and need to exercise regularly....:omg:

told him after blood donation, u just rest for a few days...that's all also cannot!! haii young man!!

Edited by Spidey10
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
25 minutes ago, Rickster said:

1.   Do a round island cycling trip (park connectors)

4. Catch up on sleep 

8. Make some donations to the needy (unfortunately my blood donation drive is over - coz on BP medication and soon Cholesterol medication)  

9. Share business/work experience by providing consultation to startups / career advises to younger ones.

I like the no 9.  It is also a way to keep one occupied and pay it forward by sharing decades long of working experience and helping others.  Being a mentor to the younger execs. is not a bad idea too.

• Praise 2

On 8/24/2022 at 9:19 AM, Tianmo said:

Lai leh lai leh, ai howlian ones all lai leh. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Dont haolian lah

TianMo : Visit every KTV in Macau for at least 5 hours, once.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

Dont haolian lah

TianMo : Visit every KTV in Macau for at least 5 hours, once.

Wonder how’s the ktv scene there now.. 

🫣

(edited)
3 minutes ago, lameboy57 said:

Stock Markets worldwide will crash 21/10/2022 - www. Asiaghosts.com

I read the link - https://asiaghosts.com/stock-market-will-crash-o

A shaman called Aroy said that the stock market will crash on 21 October 2022. A lot of people will lose their jobs and livelihoods. It is likely true based on previous occasions of stock market crashes. 

Sharing the news ahead of time because I do not want people to suffer. Read the article for more details.

Oh wonderful, i love to see people lose their jobs and livelihoods.  Better 31 Aug lah, no need 21 Oct.

but this is the wrong thread for this, so buzz off

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement