Jail sentence for bus driver who fell asleep

Lala81

https://mothership.sg/2022/08/bus-captain-sleep-crash-jailed-yishun/

I find it kind of harsh to jail someone who's a shift worker for falling asleep on the road. 

While he is 100% to blame, I'm not sure I agree with a jail sentence for a mistake. Albeit it was pure luck, no one died or got badly hurt. 

A 9 hour minimum break. They have to drop the bus off at depot usually? Then take the shuttle back to mrt/pick up point. Then take public transport back to their own home. I mean unless they own scooters, the transit time alone is how long. Then waking up at 330 am to be in time to reach work by 530 am. That's if u work like a robot and do nothing else, a person still had family commitments etc. 

For us, we have no reason to fall asleep cos we can always plan our journeys or stop whenever we want to. 

Recently the airplane Ethiopian airlines case also. But at least that had two pilots. 

But come down to it, its a lapse caused by whatever situation. Whether a cockroach fell into your face, or u dropped hot coffee onto your crotch... 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8
  • Shocked 1

I think the bus captain is charge base on the accident he created, how much damage done and number of casualties from the accident. He would properly get the same charge if he crush while awake. 

Anyway, our main bus operator here is not well know as a caring employer, they are better know for always trying to create profit for stake holders. 

My SIL worked as a SBS bus driver for a few months, gave up without a 2nd thought. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I find it kind of harsh to jail someone who's a shift worker for falling asleep on the road. 

While he is 100% to blame, I'm not sure I agree with a jail sentence for a mistake. Albeit it was pure luck, no one died or got badly hurt. 

A 9 hour minimum break. They have to drop the bus off at depot usually? Then take the shuttle back to mrt/pick up point. Then take public transport back to their own home. I mean unless they own scooters, the transit time alone is how long. Then waking up at 330 am to be in time to reach work by 530 am. That's if u work like a robot and do nothing else, a person still had family commitments etc. 

For us, we have no reason to fall asleep cos we can always plan our journeys or stop whenever we want to. 

Recently the airplane Ethiopian airlines case also. But at least that had two pilots. 

But come down to it, its a lapse caused by whatever situation. Whether a cockroach fell into your face, or u dropped hot coffee onto your crotch... 

I once had a big fight with one industry line sbs bus driver in jurong industry area. 

I had sent in my car to the WS for repair, and walked out to the bus stop to take a bus to the interchange. When the bus arrived, I wanted to check and be sure the bus goes to the interchange. So with one foot on the step and the other on the ground, I asked the driver if this bus goes to the interchange. Without answering me, he shouted "you want come up or not", and started driving off slowly. I jumped onto the bus and almost hammered him, and the worse part was, his eyes were red, and smell of alcohol. My experience told me he was drinking the whole night and came to work straight. 

Before I moved to the back, i told him I going to report him for drunk driving when we reach, and told him his eyes were red and smell of alcohol.  After less than 1 min, he stopped the bus and came over to be with an apologize asking for a chance, I told him you don't sorry me, you go sorry to SBS later.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

47 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I think the bus captain is charge base on the accident he created, how much damage done and number of casualties from the accident. He would properly get the same charge if he crush while awake. 

Anyway, our main bus operator here is not well know as a caring employer, they are better know for always trying to create profit for stake holders. 

My SIL worked as a SBS bus driver for a few months, gave up without a 2nd thought. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

She got the bonus and cha bo ah? 😁

EE11037E-BC8F-4EE8-9998-5BEB841E37F5.jpeg

I guess that drunk driver made a difference for your day eh…🤣

Edited by Fcw75
  • Haha! 1

9 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

Chao ah beng ride escooter killed an old man also jail 12 weeks. Wtf.

Jiu hu kia…hope they make him balik kampung after the jail sentence.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Jellandross said:

Chao ah beng ride escooter killed an old man also jail 12 weeks. Wtf.

this was my ex colleague / friend's close relative, I saw the pain she went thru, hope that farker burns in hell KNN , no apologies from me

• Praise 11

Because there are injuries involved bah. 

"Passengers suffered broken arms, facial fracture"

According to SMDN, there were 10 passengers on board the bus when the accident occurred.

Three of them suffered injuries, two had to be taken to the hospital.

One passenger, an 85-year-old man, fell onto the ground, resulting in a broken left arm and a strained back.

A 53-year-old woman old suffered a facial fracture after hitting the seat in front of her.

A 34-year-old man suffered a broken arm, a strained back and a cut lip, he opted not to be conveyed to the hospital via the ambulance but sought his own treatment at a clinic afterwards.

None of the passengers required surgery for their injuries.

If no passengers on board the bus maybe they can settle it within the company. 

I think the bus driver also need to prove his claims of not getting enough rest. Nobody forced him so it is not really convincing to the judge. The bus company proved on their side their shift roster automatically assign 9hours of rest between shifts for bus captains. I find that the bus driver will have difficulty arguing why he dont get enough rest.

The spokesperson added that SBS Transit's shift roster system automatically assigns at least nine hours of rest time to bus captains between shifts, and that this system was in place at the time of the incident.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Lala81 said:

It didn't help as both were fast asleep. Don't know how they were disciplined though.

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Lala81 said:

jail the manager and the management too. 

Cause they allow this to happen. 

• Praise 5

Turbocharged
14 hours ago, Lala81 said:

agree with you that 9 hours only look great on paper. Taking into account traveling time to and from work, take care of personal hygiene and some family matters, he will have at best 7 hours of sleep assuming he can fall asleep immediately upon hitting the sack. And that's on an ongoing daily basis.

Those who made that policy should try their rooster for 7 days and then determine again if 9 hours is sufficient.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Kxbc said:

agree with you that 9 hours only look great on paper. Taking into account traveling time to and from work, take care of personal hygiene and some family matters, he will have at best 7 hours of sleep assuming he can fall asleep immediately upon hitting the sack. And that's on an ongoing daily basis.

Those who made that policy should try their rooster for 7 days and then determine again if 9 hours is sufficient.

What style? deep fried, steamed or braised?

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
38 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

What style? deep fried, steamed or braised?

I tried rooster before.  Grilled. Bo ho jiak. Tough and tasteless. 

• Haha! 3

9 hours between shifts is ridiculously tight . 

We have a 10 hour rule between shifts at a hospital and it leaves no time to get a decent rest.

• Praise 4

Yah, I can relate. 

I worked 12 hr shift before during school holidays, that is 12 hrs between shift, but no life if you want sleep, no sleep if you want life. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1