High COE prices hurt car-sharing platforms’ fleet expansion, electrification plans

awhtc

Turbocharged
Just now, Beehive3783 said:

Estimated walking distance will also be shown in the app :D

I saw that, but I over estimated myself😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6

12 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Don't have to slit one another's throats. I can see that when you rent out like this compare to car rental company when you return and they check. Obviously the maintenance will be much higher. I see these car on the road and people just ram it around. Parking also whack the curb. Also I commented my friend said fishmongers use the car for delivery instead of using own car these days. How much more things will happen and increase their cost? Imagine someone spill orange juice and it was not detected till much later.....all are higher cost

The 2 different rental models are just like Geylang vs Xiao San.....

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

The 2 different rental models are just like Geylang vs Xiao San.....

Lai lai lai, how to describe and explain😂

41 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

And don't forget about the people backstabbing these car sharing companies with their accidents :D

Can be insurance fraud also... Just pay the $5k excess and cause a chain collision of their own 3 vehicles and repair and claim from car sharing insurer.

Recently the insurance consultants quite quiet ah never get featured on stomp or SGRV wonder what they have been up to... Cannot be they never eat...

24 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

This arguement makes absolutely no sense - car rental/sharing means the same car gets used almost all the time, contributing to road congestion. Private cars maybe are used 2 hr a day. While gahmen still gets the full COE/ARF revenues. 

If I gahmen I would rather people pay me high COE and not use their cars.

Well the prevailing singapore mindset is that cars are a desirable and a good-to-have purchase, especially if your industry needs you have "face" of driving a conti or a sports car...

The gov's promoting of car-lite SG is to try and persuade some of their die hard fan base that public transport is just as viable a way of life; no need to go crazy on monthly installments just for a better standard of living for example...

2 hours ago, Vratenza said:

My hypothesis is the opposite of yours when it comes to the reason for traffic congestion. Let's just give you an extreme example.

Scenario A: full population of private cars. How often do you think the car owners will use the car if they are not in sales? Mostly parked at home or in office. So it is only when these owners are commuting from one point to another that they will add to traffic congestion.

Scenario B: full population of car sharing/PHV/Taxis. All these vehicles will spend most of the time on the road. 

So which one will be the desired effect of LTA? Can our roads handle these increase traffic? Raise more ERP? 

No la, Singaporeans got the buffet mentality. Pay liao must use.

• Haha! 2

Supercharged
28 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Well the prevailing singapore mindset is that cars are a desirable and a good-to-have purchase, especially if your industry needs you have "face" of driving a conti or a sports car...

The gov's promoting of car-lite SG is to try and persuade some of their die hard fan base that public transport is just as viable a way of life; no need to go crazy on monthly installments just for a better standard of living for example...

where got need to 'persuade': just cap/reduce COE quota and keep raking in the dough

Supercharged
19 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

up to certain extent only mah, i.e. go anywhere will also drive, but usually won't be driving around for no reason

8 minutes ago, Eyke said:

where got need to 'persuade': just cap/reduce COE quota and keep raking in the dough

Their loyal fan base may not remain as loyal if a perceived basic way of life has become unattainable under their watch...

Turbocharged
33 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

I vely charm, I pay and never use. Like fine dining😂

• Haha! 2

Supercharged
42 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Their loyal fan base may not remain as loyal if a perceived basic way of life has become unattainable under their watch...

private car as 'basic way of life' already unattainable for most since long long time ago but since they are still in power means the nums that loyal -> disloyal is not enough (yet)

1 hour ago, Eyke said:

up to certain extent only mah, i.e. go anywhere will also drive, but usually won't be driving around for no reason

unless the owner still young can go rounding every night :D

2 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

with petrol duties gao gao (thick) and ERP gao gao.....I am sure buffet mentality also will self moderate lah...😆

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

with petrol duties gao gao (thick) and ERP gao gao.....I am sure buffet mentality also will self moderate lah...😆

Add another dish in the buffet line.... Parking fees also gao gao!😁

• Praise 1

Twincharged
3 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

This arguement makes absolutely no sense - car rental/sharing means the same car gets used almost all the time, contributing to road congestion. Private cars maybe are used 2 hr a day. While gahmen still gets the full COE/ARF revenues. 

If I gahmen I would rather people pay me high COE and not use their cars.

you forget that ah gong also earns more from the usage.

1. ERP as we all know

2. petrol and diesel tax. use more collect more.

3. more GST, from extra wear and tear and repairs.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

I don't understand. Why can't these companies get second hand car?

Die die must buy new? 

Those 5 yrs old BB model from Mazda, Hyundai, Toyota cannot make it?

5 hours ago, Arogab said:

I vely charm, I pay and never use. Like fine dining😂

That is no good. The parts will rot and the metal will rust.
I can help.
You pay, I use. 😁

• Haha! 1

57 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

I don't understand. Why can't these companies get second hand car?

Die die must buy new? 

Those 5 yrs old BB model from Mazda, Hyundai, Toyota cannot make it?

I think the key appeal is to tell users that you don't have to get the new cars, we get for you then you use the platform. like the EVs Ioniq 5 and bz4X, getgo can say they get the car first ma before you can buy from showroom

↡ Advertisement