COE Bidding – September 2022

Carbon82

9 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Is this your battery size? The box says CCA is 380A. Typically amaron has a slightly higher than rated CCA when brand new. But not 530A when rated at 380A. 
45Ah batt with CCA 360-380A is normal. When it drops to approx 75% then time to change. 

so either his battery tester is spoilt or he also alibaba…..

I think he show me the reading is from another battery size that is bigger than the one in my box. That would explain the higher CCA rating as an example. 

↡ Advertisement

9 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Is this your battery size? The box says CCA is 380A. Typically amaron has a slightly higher than rated CCA when brand new. But not 530A when rated at 380A. 
45Ah batt with CCA 360-380A is normal. When it drops to approx 75% then time to change. 

so either his battery tester is spoilt or he also alibaba…..

If the Amaron battery box is indeed the one that was changed, sound like the workshop put up a good show to sell the battery when the "old" battery is working perfectly fine.

Many car workshops these days are hunting for higher revenue and they know existing car owners are more willing to spend to maintain the car since the COE is so high.

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

I think he show me the reading is from another battery size that is bigger than the one in my box. That would explain the higher CCA rating as an example. 

important questions are:

1) what is your car's battery size required as stated in your manual.

2) with the size of your specified car battery, you should know the average CCA with a quick google search.

3) If the average CCA is 380A, there is really no good reason to change the battery.

4 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

If the Amaron battery box is indeed the one that was changed, sound like the workshop put up a good show to sell the battery when the "old" battery is working perfectly fine.

Many car workshops these days are hunting for higher revenue and they know existing car owners are more willing to spend to maintain the car since the COE is so high.

Not sure about outside car workshops, but AD always like to ask owners to change this change that, do this do that even the car is still fairly new.

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Not sure about outside car workshops, but AD always like to ask owners to change this change that, do this do that even the car is still fairly new.

the golden question to ask the AD is : " is this covered under warranty or FOC service package?"

That will give you a clue if it is really necessary.

• Haha! 4

18 minutes ago, 13177 said:

ya. most notorious is C&C. my mitsubishi lancer asked to change brake pads when only about half worn. lucky i know how to check... else gong gong give the go ahead and just change

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

15 hours ago, Confusedboi said:

I just change battery for my beat up COE car today even though  batt life left about 30% approximately after using batt for 1.5 years only 😓. Must give car “new” lease of life 😆, treat it like precious commodity for remaining 1 year 9months before must scrap 😭

Left 2 years very scary 

• Haha! 1

34 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

important questions are:

1) what is your car's battery size required as stated in your manual.

2) with the size of your specified car battery, you should know the average CCA with a quick google search.

3) If the average CCA is 380A, there is really no good reason to change the battery.

I called guan lee up again and he say new battery size for my car should have much higher reading CCA than 380A. Normally 400 plus to 500 CCA. He clarify the new one tested  showing 500+ CCA was indeed same battery size that was put into my car. Previously at my regular workshop about 2 months ago  they did tell me my old battery was running low about 40% life  with a couple months of life yet. That time I didn’t change. So now I  just change the battery to be safe.  Last year 1 March almost  got stranded when alternator kaput plus battery went flat. Literally lost power right at Newton petrol station entrance with the Stamford tyre shop, managed to turn in to avoid blocking main road. The battery warning light turned on when I was near tan tock Seng hospital, surprised how fast it went flat.. 

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

I called guan lee up again and he say new battery size for my car should have much higher reading CCA than 380A. Normally 400 plus to 500 CCA. He clarify the new one tested  showing 500+ CCA was indeed same battery size that was put into my car. Previously at my regular workshop about 2 months ago  they did tell me my old battery was running low about 40% life  with a couple months of life yet. That time I didn’t change. So now I  just change the battery to be safe.  Last year 1 March almost  got stranded when alternator kaput plus battery went flat. Literally lost power right at Newton petrol station entrance with the Stamford tyre shop, managed to turn in to avoid blocking main road. The battery warning light turned on when I was near tan tock Seng hospital, surprised how fast it went flat.. 

I tend to rely on my own independent research for information especially when the other person is benefiting from the transaction.

But of course, sometimes, peace of mind is not something money can measure.

anyhow, just to share my experience so that everyone can learn and maybe next time save a couple of dollars. 👍

• Praise 1

I always just change batteries after 2.5 years because COE is 10 years.

Some people try to stretch to 3 years but when they scrap the battery is only 1 year old.

A bit wasted.

:D

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

the golden question to ask the AD is : " is this covered under warranty or FOC service package?"

That will give you a clue if it is really necessary.

I think all the things that they ask you to change, should not cover under warranty de. Lol. If covered or FOC, dont think they would ask you to change lo. 

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I think all the things that they ask you to change, should not cover under warranty de. Lol. If covered or FOC, dont think they would ask you to change lo. 

Not really, like got once my battery was changed because of a factory recall, the SA called me to tell me that they are changing the battery FOC, just informing me. :D

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Confusedboi said:

No need confused boi. 🤣

He won’t cheat you la.

He’s so honest that he wanted to charge me $8 for tyre repair because I’m regular but I gave him $10. I want him to stay in the business, I will be worried if he close down.

Just a decent and honest one man show shop trying to make a living.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 6

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Brake fluid I always change after 2 years.

Except my MIL car.

That one use until die.

:D

until who/what die? 😄

• Haha! 5