Enhancing GPS connectivity for Android Unit

itsmeagainhk

30 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Original HU.  Not after market one.

I see, then there is probably no way to install other apps for mirroring or casting then.

↡ Advertisement

1 minute ago, Koster said:

I see, then there is probably no way to install other apps for mirroring or casting then.

Any recommendations?  My HU has just turned 2 years old so not sure if that is the reason why it's not that good. Or it could be my phone (it's VIVO).

10 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Any recommendations?  My HU has just turned 2 years old so not sure if that is the reason why it's not that good. Or it could be my phone (it's VIVO).

Sorry no idea...

13 hours ago, Philipkee said:

My android phone has problems connecting to the HU of the car. 

Connection is there is you consider the phone.  But I am looking at projecting the Google map from my phone to the HU Screen.  Sometimes I works, sometimes it doesn't.  When it doesn't, it shows "system not supported".

I am not sure if it's the HU problem or the phone.  Cannot be cable cos it's new.  

I am thinking of changing to an Apple iPhone and see if it gets better.  Now just waiting for my Vivo phone to spoil first.....

Is an Android Auto problem, not the phone or your car's HU. 

AA is known to be quite hopeless, and is now dead, or almost dead. Google has replaced it with "Google assistant driving mode" since early this year I think. 

If you want to use google map, the best option is still to use it via your Android phone itself. Otherwise, apple carplay is a better option if you want to go via your HU. Just go a get a cheap used iphone of anywhere 7 or newer, connect it and just leave the phone in the car for car use. 

I gave up in AA long ago, 3 different cars and none works, so I have a used iphone xs connected, use apple map, listen to music and divert  phone calls to it when driving. 

Works perfectly for me. ^_^[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

AA is known to be quite hopeless, and is now dead, or almost dead. Google has replaced it with "Google assistant driving mode" since early this year I think. 

If you want to use google map, the best option is still to use it via your Android phone itself. Otherwise, apple carplay is a better option if you want to go via your HU. Just go a get a cheap used iphone of anywhere 7 or newer, connect it and just leave the phone in the car for car use. 

I gave up in AA long ago, 3 different cars and none works, so I have a used iphone xs connected, use apple map, listen to music and divert  phone calls to it when driving. 

I will buy an iphone then. Before 2024.  Lol.  Wait for the current phone to die first 

13 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Thinking of using an aftermarket entertainment system. One that can access wifi.

So if android auto does not work, i can on mobile hotspot and it can still be used.  

I realise using Google map when travelling even within Singapore is very convenient cos it can tell you where the jams are.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, Tianmo said:

Ok.  I tried using Apple car play Liao.  I drove a colleague home.  As payment, my colleague connect the apple phone to my car and let me test the map.

Not bad.  A bit different from google map.  But ok.  But when i sent the WhatsApp, the message did not appear on the HU but my colleague say probably it's the settings 

Now i am sold more towards using iphone than changing the HU.

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Ok.  I tried using Apple car play Liao.  I drove a colleague home.  As payment, my colleague connect the apple phone to my car and let me test the map.

Not bad.  A bit different from google map.  But ok.  But when i sent the WhatsApp, the message did not appear on the HU but my colleague say probably it's the settings 

Now i am sold more towards using iphone than changing the HU.

For general direction navigation in SG, both maps are OK for me, but Google map is more accurate in bringing you to the exact point.  Apple map is only 50-60% on the dot for me, sometimes ended up opposite or overshot, so nearer to destination I always go high alert with signboards. 

You can also use Google map with iphone, just have to download it, but the last time I used it, it didn't work very well, and I have not try it again since. 

Mine is just plug and play, whatsapp msg auto appear on the HU, but it will disappear in a few sec, and to reply you need to go to the apps on the HU.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

13 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

For general direction navigation in SG, both maps are OK for me, but Google map is more accurate in bringing you to the exact point.  Apple map is only 50-60% on the dot for me, sometimes ended up opposite or overshot, so nearer to destination I always go high alert with signboards. 

You can also use Google map with iphone, just have to download it, but the last time I used it, it didn't work very well, and I have not try it again since. 

Mine is just plug and play, whatsapp msg auto appear on the HU, but it will disappear in a few sec, and to reply you need to go to the apps on the HU.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I use Waze predominantly.  Waze works well with Apple carplay.

• Praise 2

On 12/2/2022 at 10:53 PM, Philipkee said:

Thinking of using an aftermarket entertainment system. One that can access wifi.

So if android auto does not work, i can on mobile hotspot and it can still be used.  

I realise using Google map when travelling even within Singapore is very convenient cos it can tell you where the jams are.

I had the same thought as u but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. My aftermarket HU is hotspot to my android phone but my HU's navigation is still unable to detect its current location. If I really had to navigate, i still wired my android phone to my HU to use AA.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Koster said:

I had the same thought as u but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. My aftermarket HU is hotspot to my android phone but my HU's navigation is still unable to detect its current location. If I really had to navigate, i still wired my android phone to my HU to use AA.

I went to a shop to check it out.  Still got issues.  Someone said a good android auto HU will cost close to a thousand dollars.  Like this might as well buy an iPhone.

Funnily, the salesman also said if focus on apple car play, it's cheaper. Android auto is the expensive one and some customers also complain cannot work.  Apple carplay seems more stable.

36 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I went to a shop to check it out.  Still got issues.  Someone said a good android auto HU will cost close to a thousand dollars.  Like this might as well buy an iPhone.

Funnily, the salesman also said if focus on apple car play, it's cheaper. Android auto is the expensive one and some customers also complain cannot work.  Apple carplay seems more stable.

If you die die must use AA or Google map, then the next option maybe is to get an android tablet as a HU, mirror it to your phone, and use your HP as hotspot when you driving. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

38 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I see. Perhaps u may want to try using an iPhone first to see if it's true before investing in one.

1 hour ago, Koster said:

I see. Perhaps u may want to try using an iPhone first to see if it's true before investing in one.

I have tried using an iPhone..got a colleague to try out.  It worked very well for the map.  Not so for WhatsApp but she said its the setting.

• Praise 1

On 12/5/2022 at 10:25 PM, Philipkee said:

I have tried using an iPhone..got a colleague to try out.  It worked very well for the map.  Not so for WhatsApp but she said its the setting.

My friend's Honda City (same as yours) can work with AA since day one seamlessly.  As your phone is quite dated, I guess the issue with AA is due to your phone, and not the HU.  Try using another newer Android phone and see if it works.  I bet it will.

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ingenius said:

My friend's Honda City (same as yours) can work with AA since day one seamlessly.  As your phone is quite dated, I guess the issue with AA is due to your phone, and not the HU.  Try using another newer Android phone and see if it works.  I bet it will.

Maybe.  But I change handphones every 2 or more years.  So I will wait.  Lol

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ingenius said:

iphone 6S has no problem with Apple Carplay

AA really CMI

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

17 hours ago, inlinesix said:

iphone 6S has no problem with Apple Carplay

AA really CMI

If someone started a multi year long thread on getting an iPhone, will SPH or Apple give a free iPhone 6S?

Asking for a friend.  :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1