Help our cats! Take part in a public survey by Nparks

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

SINGAPORE - The current ban on cats being kept as pets in Housing Board homes could soon be lifted, as the Animal and Veterinary Service (AVS) conducts a public consultation exercise to improve the welfare and management of the cat population.

Why ban cats as pets in HDB units?

Put in place from 1960, the cat ban was part of a blanket ban on all animals, livestock and poultry in flats.

This was when these residents, many from kampungs, were moving into the first flats.

The ban is still in place because cats are generally difficult to contain within a flat, says the HDB website.

It goes on to assert that cats, “when allowed to roam indiscriminately... tend to shed fur and defecate or urinate in public areas, and also make caterwauling sounds, which can inconvenience" other residents.

HDB said on Saturday that it is working with AVS to explore the possibility of allowing cats to be kept as pets in flats, and will take into consideration feedback given during the consultation phase.

Responding to queries from The Straits Times, an HDB spokesman said that its primary consideration for maintaining the current ban was to preserve a pleasant and harmonious living environment in HDB estates.

"We strive to balance the interests of residents who are pet lovers and those who may be affected by disamenities as a result of irresponsible pet ownership," the spokesman added.

This blanket ban on cats should be repealed. 😀 If dogs are allowed to be kept in HDBs, then the same should be allowed for cats. Homeowners should be allowed to keep cats, provided they are microchipped, vaccinated and registered with AVA, the same standards held for dogs. Cats should be kept indoors and not allowed to free roam for their own safety. Cat owners who allow their cats to free-roam will face the possibility of getting their cats rehomed if found outdoors or causing disturbances to other HDB dwellers such as defecating and urinating in public areas. Punish the irresponsible cat owners, not the animals. The same can be said for dog owners who don't pick up their dogs poop. 

https://www.mnd.gov.sg/newsroom/parliament-matters/q-as/view/written-answer-by-ministry-of-national-development-on-keeping-pet-cats-in-hdb-flats

Assoc Prof Daniel Goh Pei Siong: To ask the Minister for National Development whether it is timely now to remove the ban on keeping pet cats in HDB flats and to regulate cat pet-keeping instead to minimise disamenities for neighbours.

Answer:
HDB’s pet ownership policies have to strike a balance between residents who are pet lovers and those who are not. Irresponsible pet ownership can lead to disamenities in the community and cause unhappiness. In the case of cats, disamenities include shedding fur, defecating/urinating in public areas, and caterwauling by roaming cats. 

Notwithstanding these concerns, HDB recognises that there are many residents who are cat lovers and who would like to keep cats in their flats. Hence HDB will continue to review and update its pet ownership policies, together with NParks/Animal & Veterinary Service which is responsible for the broader issue of animal welfare and licensing. While we would like very much to accommodate the wishes of all pet owners, we also have to take into consideration the views of other home-owners, and take a holistic and balanced approach in addressing this issue. 

Shedding fur. They've obviously not seen the amount of fur shed by dogs. 😅

ANYWAYS, SURVEY TIME. HELP OUR CATS!

The Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS), a cluster of the National Parks Board (NParks) is seeking feedback from the public on our proposed strategies for the management of pet and community cats in Singapore to form a framework that aims to safeguard public health, and better protect the health and welfare of Singapore’s pet and community cats.

The proposed cat management framework comprises three strategies that we are seeking views on:
(i) Including pet cats in the licensing and microchipping scheme; 
(ii) Expanding the Trap-Neuter-Rehome/Release-Manage (TNRM) Programme for free-roaming dogs to community cats; and
(iii) Promoting responsible community cat caregiving, adoption of cats, and responsible cat ownership through engagement and outreach.

Your feedback will help us refine the proposed cat management framework.

Click the link below to participate in our online survey, or scan the QR code. The consultation is open from 3 September to 2 November 2022.

English: https://go.gov.sg/catsgEng 

For the surveys in our other national languages, click on this link: https://www.nparks.gov.sg/avs/pets/owning-a-pet/public-consultation-(cats)/public-consultation-on-managing-pet-and-community-cats

CatsgEng.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged

already done last evening. I hope they select me for their discussion panel. 

you are right. their argument does not hold water because the same can be said of dogs, inconsiderate humans. Not pinpointing dogs as I love them too. Just pinpointing some bloodly fxxking inconsiderate humans.

Caesar Millan said something along this line "Train the humans to train the dogs". So true. It does not just apply to dog owners but also cat owners and (some) parents.

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
25 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

already done last evening. I hope they select me for their discussion panel. 

you are right. their argument does not hold water because the same can be said of dogs, inconsiderate humans. Not pinpointing dogs as I love them too. Just pinpointing some bloodly fxxking inconsiderate humans.

Caesar Millan said something along this line "Train the humans to train the dogs". So true. It does not just apply to dog owners but also cat owners and (some) parents.

Yes it's the irresponsible owners but after reading some of the comments on social media, I realised that there are actually quite a number of negative comments about allowing cats to be legalised in HDB flats. I was always of the opinion that this law is one of those ancient ones that should be repealed since it's not enforced anyway. But wow there are legit cat haters. How interesting. 🤦‍♀️

• Praise 1

I have also given my feedback. Cats are already kept as pet in HDB now. Having it regulated is a plus to me. Having the same treatment for dogs is fair. If you can't manage then don't keep the pet. Pet owner have to be responsible for their pet regardless it is dog or cat. Repeated offences should carry heavier fine and additional actions to ensure we have an inclusive living for all. No point having rules but no enforcement too. 

• Praise 6

Summit liao.

I say I perfectly ok with it as long as they enforce its hdb indoor pets. Not free roaming strays.

license and microchip is a must also. 

• Praise 2

I know repealing of 377A will have the effect of opening the flood gate for other associated issues.....din know that cats ownership will be the next one 😅

Don't shoot me.....I already submitted my support!😆

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

I don't understand HDB's rationale. Dogs also make noise (they bark), they also poop everywhere if not controlled.

To me cats and dogs are no different. As long as the owner is responsible and can control their pets, they should be allowed to keep any animal they want.

• Praise 4

I do not support cats to be kept in HDB flats. 

I had several unpleasant experiences.

My neighbour's cat excreted in my flower pots. Another occasion, two cats, one pure black and another with colours, sneaked into my house. My family were shocked. When chased, they ran from o ne room to another.🤬

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

My neighbour's cat excreted in my flower pots. Another occasion, two cats, one pure black and another with colours, sneaked into my house. My family were shocked. When chased, they ran from o ne room to another.🤬

Those are either comm cats or free-roaming pet cats. Pet cat owners should not allow their cats to free-roam. Cats that are kept at home will not cause disturbances to neighbours. Should penalise irresponsible cat owners.

• Praise 2

47 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

I know repealing of 377A will have the effect of opening the flood gate for other associated issues.....din know that cats ownership will be the next one 😅

Don't shoot me.....I already submitted my support!😆

Fear not, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. He could have some previous experiences we don't have. Not 1 single opinion will change everything too. 

3 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Will dogs also do the same thing le? 😂

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Will dogs also do the same thing le? 😂

Dogs normally won't. 

Last time my brother's dog was toilet-trained. Don't even have to bring it down stairs.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1