Steering rack noise on 2010 Altis

tonychuacl

Recently my 2010 Altis steering rack start to emit "tek tek tek" noise if the road is uneven or after the bump. The noises will go away by itself after driving for awhile making it hard to pinpoint what is the issues when visiting the workshop.

I have change front and rear suspension, control arms and stabilizer linkages 2 years ago so these components should be fine. 

Anyone had similar problem to share? Thanks

↡ Advertisement

This is a drive shaft problem. It is usually due to driving and steering hard and the steering wheel hits the hard stop often and before it breaks down. Go check out but don't kena ketok. 

Could be rack problem. Not too difficult to diagnose yourself. Turn the wheel left or right and then use your hand to bang on the steering shaft. If you hear knocking then that’s your problem. 

36 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Could be rack problem. Not too difficult to diagnose yourself. Turn the wheel left or right and then use your hand to bang on the steering shaft. If you hear knocking then that’s your problem. 

You might need to guide him on which 1 is steering shaft

😂

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

You might need to guide him on which 1 is steering shaft

😂

i will ask him to go see an RC car for a example.

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, tonychuacl said:

Recently my 2010 Altis steering rack start to emit "tek tek tek" noise if the road is uneven or after the bump. The noises will go away by itself after driving for awhile making it hard to pinpoint what is the issues when visiting the workshop.

I have change front and rear suspension, control arms and stabilizer linkages 2 years ago so these components should be fine. 

Anyone had similar problem to share? Thanks

If u haven change the coffin bush, recommend u to change that 1 try first. quite cheap. and alway miss out

Thanks everyone! 

I also believed it could be the steering rack and drive shaft problem.

One WS claimed it could be due to suspension top mounting and one WS ask me to keep driving and ignore the noises 🙄

One WS ask me to keep driving and ignore the noises

Tell the WS don't know say don't know lah.

Don't have to give stupid advice.

:D

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, tonychuacl said:

Thanks everyone! 

One WS claimed it could be due to suspension top mounting and one WS ask me to keep driving and ignore the noises 🙄

Might as well ask you wear earplugs when driving. 🤣

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, tonychuacl said:

Thanks everyone! 

Normally driveshaft ( front driveshaft sound) is quite easy to detect , they got tek tek tek sound when u corner or U turn.

If the sound appear when u drive over uneven road or small bump or those strips, then should be under carriage sound.

If your car is stationary and u turn the steering wheel left and right without moving front or back, and u hear tek tek tek, and u can feel vibration at the same time on your steering wheel, then high chance something connected to the steering wheel> steering rack bushing etc could be loose. 

U cannot blame the WS for telling u to ignore the sound also, unless u are willing to pay and trial and error.

No WS is able to pinpoint such sound 100%, its just how accurate, and how much parts u will to spend to try and fix the sound. 

Its like we see doctor, no doctor will promise u their pills will cure u 100%. 

• Praise 3

7 hours ago, tonychuacl said:

Hi, how do you know the noise came from steering rack? noise when going straight without  rotating steering wheel is unlikely a rack problem. if it is steering rack and pinion problem, a stationary turn of steering would be able to reproduce the noise . if you get the tek tek noise when making sharp slow turn, then 90% will be drive shaft problem.    Did your mechanic check the ball joints? It could be a possibility. 

• Praise 1

@Ct3833

It always happen after a light turn on uneven road, then it will start having these noise. When the car stop completely during traffic light, i try to turn the steering to both direction and it also produce the noise.

At the MSCP, i ask my wife to turn the steering when stationary and i try listening to the noise from outside (wheel area) but nothing, the noise can only be heard inside the car. 

Strangly the noise will quietly go away after car have been park for sometimes. 

I send the car to the WS but the tech said the suspension system look good. He said could be the top suspension mounting but can't guarantee will solve the problem if I changed. He said if i want to get rid of noise completely, the best is to change all the suspension system again and the steering rack for about 2k+ 😮 

26 minutes ago, tonychuacl said:

@Ct3833

It always happen after a light turn on uneven road, then it will start having these noise. When the car stop completely during traffic light, i try to turn the steering to both direction and it also produce the noise.

At the MSCP, i ask my wife to turn the steering when stationary and i try listening to the noise from outside (wheel area) but nothing, the noise can only be heard inside the car. 

I send the car to the WS but the tech said the suspension system look good. He said could be the top suspension mounting but can't guarantee will solve the problem if I changed. He said if i want to get rid of noise completely, the best is to change all the suspension system again and the steering rack for about 2k+ 😮 

does not sound like drive shaft since the noise will appear AFTER turning, not during the turn. it could really be the rack and pinion begin to tuen bad, you may want to drive for a few more weeks to see if the noise deteriorate. 

16 hours ago, tonychuacl said:

@Ct3833

It's an Altis, last time I also got Altis and same problem. Mine happen after 5 years. Borneo Motors settled it for me once and got it right

He told me it's the drive shaft problem and as described, he told me it usually happens when you have a lot of fast and hard steering and knocks on the hard stop.

The Service engineer was damn nice, even over the warranty, he claim it for me helping me state my low utility. But he was replaced with some Filipino liao. Sucks 

Hi folks,

A quick question regarding power steering rack, as the mechanic suspect that there is a leakage.

1.  From the undercarriage, I could see the power steering rack is covered with oil stain but the power steering reservoir is still quite full and doesn't seem to be depleted. Besides power steering fluid, are there also other oil within the rack itself which could be leaking?

2.  Is it advisable to get a recon power steering rack?  How reliable are them?

Thanks.