Major fire in skyscraper in China's Changsha city (developing story)

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

InCollage_20220916_172057558.jpg.2a0a691a5d6408a909dfe0c15df799a6.jpg

BEIJING: A major fire broke out in a skyscraper in the central Chinese city of Changsha, state media reported on Friday (Sep 16), adding that the number of casualties was "currently unknown".

"Thick smoke is spewing from the site, and several dozen floors are burning ferociously," state broadcaster CCTV reported.

"Firefighters have begun work to extinguish the flames and conduct rescues at the scene," it added.

The blaze consumed a tall building that housed an office of state-owned telecommunications company China Telecom, the report said.

A photograph released by CCTV showed orange flames searing through the building in a built-up area of the city, as black smoke billowed into the sky.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/china-telecom-building-fire-changsha-city-cctv-hunan-2943481

How to put out a fire this huge? Praying for all the first responders and those trapped in the building.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 7

Cannot imagine how to evacuate especially those on the higher floors. Although there maybe pressurized smoke free stairs and lobby, fire is simply too big. Seriously tall buildings are always a big risks. 

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Cannot imagine how to evacuate especially those on the higher floors. Although there maybe pressurized smoke free stairs and lobby, fire is simply too big. Seriously tall buildings are always a big risks. 

Hopefully there's another stairway at the back of the building since the fire seems concentrated at this frontal side of the building. 😢

2 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Hopefully there's another stairway at the back of the building since the fire seems concentrated at this frontal side of the building. 😢

I think the entire building is engulfed in fire

The fire spreads to so many floors. Is it because of the external combustible claddings?

Hope no casualties.

Good to read the fire has been put out, though casualties still unknown.

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 1

Grenfell Towers in the UK was only 24 stories tall. The casualties for this tower will be several-fold greater if they were able to evacuate from the other side of the building untouched by the fire.

31 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Wah... Lau uncle liao.. tot u born year 81

I am an 81 kid. But this movie used to play on channel 5 and was somehow stuck in my mind. I remember the elevator shaft had fire and they had to use a rope thing to escape. 

Few years ago I googled it to make sure I wasn't imagining the movie.

Last time where got cocomelon or what. Whatever is on TV just have to watch. 

Just like airwolf, a team, 6 million dollar man, bionic woman. Sometimes on rtm2, sometimes on ch 5.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

1 hour ago, Macrosszero said:

Grenfell Towers in the UK was only 24 stories tall. The casualties for this tower will be several-fold greater if they were able to evacuate from the other side of the building untouched by the fire.

Hope not, if the people had sufficient time  to be evacuated.

I may be wrong but it seems like the fire is spreading on the external facade, instead of within the building. 

Facade material not fire resistance? Same as the case with the fire opposite IMM building couple of years back, which killed a woman in the stairwell. 

• Praise 5

54 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I may be wrong but it seems like the fire is spreading on the external facade, instead of within the building. 

Facade material not fire resistance? Same as the case with the fire opposite IMM building couple of years back, which killed a woman in the stairwell.

Yeah, look external... cos for a high rise commercial building to burn this way, all the internal sprinklers would have to fail. Even China standards can't be that bad... 🤔

↡ Advertisement