Jump to content

'I'm Happy just to get by'


Recommended Posts

Moderator

This is the new way forward?  Seems like helplessness setting in. 

Quitting 5Cs? Netizens suggest many Singaporeans are content to 'just get by' - TODAY (todayonline.com)

 

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/trending-5cs-dream-quit-just-get-2003191

that said, we would lose all competitiveness and the path is then to import.  I see more and more languishing in their demeanour with no more gumption to forge ahead.  Good or bad?

 

 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Dislike 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Won't be surprised to see such attitude just to make themselves feel better and simpler than being competitive and ended up still at the losing end.

In fact, our fore fathers have been like this "content to just get by", they don't pursue unrealistic materialism to feel successful, they just work, bring up the next generation.

This era, we see people working hard and succeeded in material possession but moral wise, don't see majority of them working for the better but instead become so ignorant and become self entitled. 

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 19
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

Some C are outdated.. at least to me.. like Country club.. some C are really beyond reach like condo for general people.. so when the target shifted one got no choice but to be realistic and stop chasing..  

  • Praise 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
8 minutes ago, RadX said:

This is the new way forward?  Seems like helplessness setting in. 

Quitting 5Cs? Netizens suggest many Singaporeans are content to 'just get by' - TODAY (todayonline.com)

 

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/trending-5cs-dream-quit-just-get-2003191

that said, we would lose all competitiveness and the path is then to import.  I see more and more languishing in their demeanour with no more gumption to forge ahead.  Good or bad?

 

 

 

  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
7 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

Won't be surprised to see such attitude just to make themselves feel better and simpler than being competitive and ended up still at the losing end.

In fact, our fore fathers have been like this "content to just get by", they don't pursue unrealistic materialism to feel successful, they just work, bring up the next generation.

This era, we see people working hard and succeeded in material possession but moral wise, don't see majority of them working for the better but instead become so ignorant and become self entitled. 

well said.  I see it as a defeatist mentality.  the pandemic has changed perspectives for many.

 

I'm from the Gen X, but I must say, I am comfy now.  Looking at the gen below us, it's gonna be tougher for them to make even that 'comfy' step.

 

My definition of comfy is 'i can buy what i want without feeling the pinch'.  CASH, not BNPL:grin:

  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderator
15 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Wah, so early like me :grin:

Eh I’m at the work desk by 0530 hor dun pray pray 

 

best time to get work done and clear nonsense 

  • Praise 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
18 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Some C are outdated.. at least to me.. like Country club.. some C are really beyond reach like condo for general people.. so when the target shifted one got no choice but to be realistic and stop chasing..  

I blame wooden Goh for this lo😂😂 

 

Swiss std of living …. Yeah, roghtttt… we have part of it, that’s the SWISS COST OF LIVING , not standard 

  • Haha! 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
15 minutes ago, RadX said:

well said.  I see it as a defeatist mentality.  the pandemic has changed perspectives for many.

 

I'm from the Gen X, but I must say, I am comfy now.  Looking at the gen below us, it's gonna be tougher for them to make even that 'comfy' step.

 

My definition of comfy is 'i can buy what i want without feeling the pinch'.  CASH, not BNPL:grin:

Like you I am comfy too.  Can choose to retire early if I want but I prefer to have a purpose and keep working.

To help my 2 kids, I think the best thing I am doing is to make sure I am self reliant.  They don't need to provide for me.  Plus I exercise like hell, keep healthy and do an annual medical screening so they will also not be burdened by my healthcare costs or looking after me in old age as far as possible.

But I agree it will be tougher and tougher for the next gen to get to a comfy stage

  • Praise 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Like you I am comfy too.  Can choose to retire early if I want but I prefer to have a purpose and keep working.

To help my 2 kids, I think the best thing I am doing is to make sure I am self reliant.  They don't need to provide for me.  Plus I exercise like hell, keep healthy and do an annual medical screening so they will also not be burdened by my healthcare costs or looking after me in old age as far as possible.

But I agree it will be tougher and tougher for the next gen to get to a comfy stage

definitely bro.  Keeping on working, gives that sense of fulfilment, autonomy and self worth.  Also, keeps dementia at bay. 

 

I am playing more tennis than ever and it really helps to keep the holistic body and soul together

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

The pursuit of those 5 Cs drives the economic engine, whereas abstract things like happiness, mental health, sense of purpose, may not.

Sometimes it’s also the hopelessness of it, when the older generation are staying in their jobs longer, talking down to the younger ones about how hard they used to work. Without outward movement how can there be upward movement?

Singapore is no longer expanding at the giddy rate of the 1990s where we aspired to be the Switzerland of Asia. As someone above said, we nailed the cost of living but probably not the standard of living.

At some point - they felt that they can only just “settle”. Take for example, a car in the 2000s cost around a year or two of a graduate’s pay. Now, it takes three or four. Is it even sensible to aspire to this C?

Edited by Macrosszero
  • Praise 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged

Long time ago already i made up my mind that enjoyable things that dont cost much money are indeed priceless... maybe materialistic people catching up with this idea not such a bad thing? Why this article sound so negative 🤣

Frankly as long as we are glued to competition and outdoing everyone we will never solve infertility problem and Singaporeans will go extinct because having a child is always irrational from a materialistic viewpoint

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Society of snobs... how true. When u still see credit card is one of the Cs you know this 5c thing is outdated. I think most youngsters now don't even know what are the 5cs.

Every generation changes. My parents experienced Kampong spirit but not me, so the next gen will do things differently because we grew up in different environment. Despite many of us criticized our youngsters now, I feel most of them have their own thinking and they don't mind sharing their thoughts with others. They are definitely more influenced by the western culture where work isn't everything.

Many young Americans worked for a few years, quit, and travel around the world for a few years before going back. Not many Asians doing that during my time but now can see alot more. 

  • Praise 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, RadX said:

This is the new way forward?  Seems like helplessness setting in. 

Quitting 5Cs? Netizens suggest many Singaporeans are content to 'just get by' - TODAY (todayonline.com)

 

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/trending-5cs-dream-quit-just-get-2003191

that said, we would lose all competitiveness and the path is then to import.  I see more and more languishing in their demeanour with no more gumption to forge ahead.  Good or bad?

 

 

depends on where you are in your life cycle ba...

20-35 chiong ahhhhhhh

35-45 still chioongg ahhhh but very selective 

45-50 start to strategize

50-55 settle down ba...dun act rationally and rock the boat and stay in same co...best is act blur..

55 - 65 No fark!!! :yeah-im-not-drunk:....joy of working and leaving office on time...:yeah-im-not-drunk:

all the chioooonnngg...presume achieve 5cs...else heck chioonnngg....but best is keep foot planted on the ground....be humble as today we dunno what tomorrow brings...today maybe poor, tomorrow we dunno...my father say wan..

Chionngg ahhh...not always 5cs ba.....

Edited by Spidey10
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

Now with more mental health issues and chronic illness, many of which are definitely related to stress, sometimes from the individual POV it's better to just not take things too seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RadX said:

This is the new way forward?  Seems like helplessness setting in. 

Quitting 5Cs? Netizens suggest many Singaporeans are content to 'just get by' - TODAY (todayonline.com)

 

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/trending-5cs-dream-quit-just-get-2003191

that said, we would lose all competitiveness and the path is then to import.  I see more and more languishing in their demeanour with no more gumption to forge ahead.  Good or bad?

 

 

The new gen look at life more than just chasing of material wealth. They want a life of purpose and balance. 

That's all good and I agree. Life should never be all about money and materials. But to have the right to pursue purpose and balance, they should achieve some sort of ambition first. For example, say a young chap has an ambition of having a start-up and to grow it to a 20 person team. He finally achieved that at the age of 40, has enough $ for family and decided to call it quits. He could have continue to earn more $, bring the business to IPO, etc, etc  but he wants a life of purpose and balance at 40 and didn't want to be addicted to money.  In this instance, I think it is perfectly fine. 

What is not fine is when they didn't achieve a single career milestone in their life that they have aim for, and just bump around and be "contented with".  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...