'I'm Happy just to get by'

RadX

50 minutes ago, RadX said:

definitely bro.  Keeping on working, gives that sense of fulfilment, autonomy and self worth.  Also, keeps dementia at bay. 

I am playing more tennis than ever and it really helps to keep the holistic body and soul together

I also keep "working". By doing online digital  courses everyday at my own pace.  It is fun and fulfilling...keep the mind spinning.  I think I can do digital skills work better than those who are in employment......😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Starry said:

The new gen look at life more than just chasing of material wealth. They want a life of purpose and balance. 

That's all good and I agree. Life should never be all about money and materials. But to have the right to pursue purpose and balance, they should achieve some sort of ambition first. For example, say a young chap has an ambition of having a start-up and to grow it to a 20 person team. He finally achieved that at the age of 40, has enough $ for family and decided to call it quits. He could have continue to earn more $, bring the business to IPO, etc, etc  but he wants a life of purpose and balance at 40 and didn't want to be addicted to money.  In this instance, I think it is perfectly fine. 

What is not fine is when they didn't achieve a single career milestone in their life that they have aim for, and just bump around and be "contented with".  

they do not need to chase material wealth because they are already comfortable in a sense.

many of us old farts still had to struggle before we feel comfortable now.

as we get older, we look at another C, Contentment; but for the young, sooner or later, they will find that they cannot just get by another and go back to chasing material wealth to even survive.

5 minutes ago, Etnt said:

they do not need to chase material wealth because they are already comfortable in a sense.

as we get older, we look at another C, Contentment; but for the young, sooner or later, they will find that they cannot just get by another and go back to chasing material wealth to even survive.

And the final C

Coffin!

and subsequently, another C .......Cremation....:a-rip:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

Just now, Loki said:

Final 2 Cs, coffin and cremation 

still hv anotehr C..... Collection of Ashes

• Haha! 3

15 minutes ago, Etnt said:

If they cannot get by, they will seek help from parents lor....

That's why the saying that  “Wealth does not last beyond three generations".  First gen work really hard, 2nd gen just contend to get by, 3rd gen will spend off the remaining bits.

Edited by Starry

Balance lah. No aspirations also cannot but don't kill yourself over it too. It all starts when you go to school, why go to school and should you push yourself to get that PhD? 

1 minute ago, Inlinefour said:

Finally rest in peace 

Columbarium 

Some throw to the “C” 😂😂

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, RadX said:

Eh I’m at the work desk by 0530 hor dun pray pray 

best time to get work done and clear nonsense 

I thought Funeral Director are 24/7..?

• Haha! 2

Just now, ER-3682 said:

I thought Funeral Director are 24/7..?

gotta clear paper work before more die mah....:grin:

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, RadX said:

This is the new way forward?  Seems like helplessness setting in. 

Quitting 5Cs? Netizens suggest many Singaporeans are content to 'just get by' - TODAY (todayonline.com)

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/trending-5cs-dream-quit-just-get-2003191

that said, we would lose all competitiveness and the path is then to import.  I see more and more languishing in their demeanour with no more gumption to forge ahead.  Good or bad?

No wonder our gahmen wanna import talent overseas. Get by lah. Now have to get lost too. 😁

• Haha! 1

47 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Long time ago already i made up my mind that enjoyable things that dont cost much money are indeed priceless... maybe materialistic people catching up with this idea not such a bad thing? Why this article sound so negative 🤣

Frankly as long as we are glued to competition and outdoing everyone we will never solve infertility problem and Singaporeans will go extinct because having a child is always irrational from a materialistic viewpoint

No. Actually is not a negative article. It is an article of being realistic. 

SG has once again take the "welcome foreign talents" route to "grow" our nation, just like when we just gotten our independence because we just don't have the capability to cultivate enough talents of our own.

We are very much heading towards the direction like how Japan is. Look how Japan is being "stagnant","aging population","work-stress society", and that is how we will be in future.

6 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

No. Actually is not a negative article. It is an article of being realistic. 

SG has once again take the "welcome foreign talents" route to "grow" our nation, just like when we just gotten our independence because we just don't have the capability to cultivate enough talents of our own.

We are very much heading towards the direction like how Japan is. Look how Japan is being "stagnant","aging population","work-stress society", and that is how we will be in future.

Eh... from quiet quitting to quitting 5Cs when our fertility rate is 1.1 ... gahmen should consider why the most natural human activity is not leading to children. This tells you the whole sustainability of this high stress life required to "stay competitive" is impossible. Japan is so bad ah? Then why everyone like to go there for holiday? They have everything but they cannot enjoy. No wonder Japanese youngster all want something else than what their parents tell them. Growth at all cost ironically lead to loss of so many other important things in life... no.1 from national perspective is replacing the population.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapores-population-ageing-rapidly-184-of-citizens-are-65-years-and-older

Ironically hardly anyone seems to be able to see the connection between these two. Our ministers should go talk to the zookeepers and ask how they deal with animals in breeding program that wont mate lol

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

3 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Eh... from quiet quitting to quitting 5Cs when our fertility rate is 1.1 ... gahmen should consider why the most natural human activity is not leading to children. This tells you the whole sustainability of this high stress life required to "stay competitive" is impossible. Japan is so bad ah? Then why everyone like to go there for holiday? They have everything but they cannot enjoy. No wonder Japanese youngster all want something else than what their parents tell them. Growth at all cost ironically lead to loss of so many other important things in life... no.1 from national perspective is replacing the population.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapores-population-ageing-rapidly-184-of-citizens-are-65-years-and-older

Ironically hardly anyone seems to be able to see the connection between these two. Our ministers should go talk to the zookeepers and ask how they deal with animals in breeding program that wont mate lol

We human do mate but hope no outcome 🤣

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Ody_2004 said:

We human do mate but hope no outcome 🤣

that not mate but FORNICATE lah....😄

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2