My quest for finding the perfect MPV for my family

Ctaiwee

17 minutes ago, Enye said:

putting a kid or 2 in the 3rd row would be back breaking esp if they need to be carried on and off and strapping on.

😬😅

So true... even right now, my little bundle of joy is only getting heavier.. so those with a walkthrough seats with a high roof will be nice. But yeah, some power will be good and few of the Jap ones have turbo...

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement

@Enye Thank you for the tip, yeah most likely I’ll put the older one at the 3rd row together with an Adult to help put her in. While the younger one will be in the middle seat of the second row flank by the elders, wife and me at the front.

The EA888 is not know really known to save fuel unless you drive it like a normal sedan. The 217HP is going  to help lots. I was told that it can be turned up to nearly 400HP without changing any internal parts in the engine 😁. But since it a family car and kids safety is the priority, I’ll leave it at stock.

Is there a place to go to code the car system to one’s preferences? I had my BMW coded but no sure about the VW.

Honestly, it is not advisable to put kids at the 3rd row. 

Unless the boot distance to the 3rd row is damned spacious, in the event of a rear-end collision, the kid will be the first casualty.

Plus in the event of a vehicle overturn, even an adult is going to have trouble getting out of the 3rd row by his/her ownself. If it were a kid in the 3rd row of an overturned car... 

• Praise 4

29 minutes ago, Ctaiwee said:

@Enye Thank you for the tip, yeah most likely I’ll put the older one at the 3rd row together with an Adult to help put her in. While the younger one will be in the middle seat of the second row flank by the elders, wife and me at the front.

The EA888 is not know really known to save fuel unless you drive it like a normal sedan. The 217HP is going  to help lots. I was told that it can be turned up to nearly 400HP without changing any internal parts in the engine 😁. But since it a family car and kids safety is the priority, I’ll leave it at stock.

Is there a place to go to code the car system to one’s preferences? I had my BMW coded but no sure about the VW.

look for glatt auto kit or smth on carousell, they do alot of the vw coding, went to them to unlock the TPMS etc. and yes EA888.3 has alot of potential, running stage 2 now w around 340+ hp, on my 7.5 GTI

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

46 minutes ago, Ctaiwee said:

Not really true if you ask around especially the Superb owners. At times I drive it like crazy and yet can still achieve 12km/L effortlessly. With  your budget for brand new Sharan, can definitely get a 2year old Superb and a brand new Fit, with abit topup if necessary. Petrol wise would definitely be in better place, and the 2 car setup will provide much better flexibility for the family especially husband and wife with better quality of life.

1 hour ago, Ctaiwee said:

note that you will lose the flexibility of putting down 1 seat for luggage space if you do as you said for the 3rd row … since your child seat would be most likely permanently fixed there.

piggyback and off the shelf reflash options are severely limited for the 7n2 sharan unlike the gti.  different engine code as compared to gti …. starts with ded.  many tuners don’t want to guarantee their product will work as they have not tested their products on it esp us tuners who don’t have the sharan model in their country at all.   unless of course you want to go customised tuning route.   that’s what i found out a few years back.  dunno if the tuners have adapted their products to the 7n2 sharan already or not.  400 bhp without changing engine parts is unlikely.  400+ nm torque is more likely for stg 1. but in exchange you get a peaky torque curve.

i have chipped up using piggyback then reflashed to stg 1 after warranty on my 7n1 sharan which has 198bhp “only” stock.  but for the 7n2, i left it stock as i got old and there is really little need for that extra power.  appreciate the smooth power delivery instead which will not make your passengers esp those in the 3rd row nauseous

for the coding, there are really very little stuff to customise.  3 flash signal light to 4/5 flashes, speedometer needle sweep when starting up engine, option for driver to toggle on/off the drl … if you are into such stuff.  dunno what other stuff you can customise on the beemer that you want to do on the sharan since i m too poor to own atas brand cars.

😅

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, SiLangKia said:

look for glatt auto kit or smth on carousell, they do alot of the vw coding, went to them to unlock the TPMS etc. and yes EA888.3 has alot of potential, running stage 2 now w around 340+ hp, on my 7.5 GTI

what happened to your twin charge?

not tunable or reliable enough for you? 

😅

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Enye said:

what happened to your twin charge?

not tunable or reliable enough for you? 

😅

car was running fine, decided to replace it early cos the non renewable coe ends next sep. Kept both cars tgr for awhile until everyday kena niam then sell the twincharged lo, would have loved to keep it till the end cos anw only a short while left, but ok la still got value, sold it in end june w 15 months left for 14.5k

I still miss it tho, very raw and unfiltered, the current one too smooth and insulated, even after mods, haiz haha

Edited by SiLangKia

I met with this situation when my 2nd born arrived. My parents stays with me hence I will need a 6 seater car.

Had considered Freed/Sienta/Stream/Wish back then but don't like the idea of 3rd row seats, where if there is a light collision it is quite confirmed that 3rd row passengers will sustain some sort of injuries.

Then I saw at my house carpark a Honda Edix, and I remember reading about this the odd and unique 6 seater car. Went to do some research and go for a viewing at a carmart. When I enter the car, I immediately knew this is the one. 6 single seats for every passenger and it is pretty wide, which adds to more comfort, the only downside is am not sure if I can drive such a wide car. Another plus point is, I get a fairly huge boot to put groceries, pram etc (which also act as a buffer zone in event of impact)

With this Edix, my wifey, elder kid and me are seated in the 1st row while my parents and 2nd born are seated on 2nd row. With a fairly huge boot, I can still put groceries, pram, bags and yet ferry 6 persons on board. 5 yrs on, both kiddos are in primary school. This Edix is still relevant as it is able to ferry 4 of us plus 2 kids bike and 2 folding bikes with one back seat folded down. Occasionally, people will give stares at us when they saw 3 persons in the front row. LOL

However, 1 downside for driving Edix is..the availability of spare parts. 

• Praise 9

Supercharged
21 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Good to see some active discussion on car buying process. To me everyone will have different preference due to different budget, priority, phase of family, etc, etc, so there is no best car for any family. Even that best car will change as the family grows and mature.

For me right now, the only cars I will avoid are those that returns < 8km/L of petrol. Really cannot tahan going petrol station every 5 days with the Vellfire I had before few years back. The car is really functional and can serve the family needs very well, but for me is really going petrol station until got phobia after awhile. Even if I can afford, why should that chore become part of my life?

And I know it is late to share. If you like the EA888 engine, it is also fitted in some other sedans. Personal experience certain cars can return easily 12km/L even with very spirited driving until tyre spin at junction once in a while. Just so long as your daily routes consist of maybe 70% expressway would be able to get 12km/L easily. And frankly with 2 young toddlers, a large sedan would be enough to serve the family unless you need to ferry 5 adults plus the toddlers on daily basis. Else getting a large sedan, especially a relatively new used one, would be adequate for the next few years. Been there done that so I know it is only an excuse to get a big size MPV when a lesser being would most likely be a better decision haha. And if your spouse also can drive and willing to drive, maybe can consider having 2 cars. No need to get 2 atas cars if budget is not that big, just a small one and a bigger one, the benefits easily outweigh choosing a 'best' car that seems to be able to meet all your needs. And getting one to 2 year old used rides looks very sensible to do at current COE level unless you have very big budget to play with. Anyway this is something we face constantly so good to learn from each other. 

EA888 is a classic VW engine focused on ability to extract huge performance (with tuning) and at the same time superb fuel economy.

But downside is that it has a lot of issues - very easy to get engine oil consumption problem, intake carbon buildup....

17 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

@badlammy At least he bought a new Sharan,less problem,also the Service much improved now,because VW sold much lesser Car than in the 2003-2013..so easy to get Service Booking,i remember last time,just a simple Oil & Filter change,even with booking,need 2 Days to complete.

Used or new, doesn't matter to me and I think TS made a great choice.

• Praise 3

15 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

Most tweaks shd be fairly simple, and you probably just need to find any fellow driver with vagcom cable and SW (or similar). Too bad no threads here that says which forummers has vagcom and stay which area.

If you done your research and know which code to tweak, can come find me at Hougang area to try.

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

EA888 is a classic VW engine focused on ability to extract huge performance (with tuning) and at the same time superb fuel economy.

But downside is that it has a lot of issues - very easy to get engine oil consumption problem, intake carbon buildup....

wah is this based on own experience or hearsay?

ea888 has gen 1, 2 and 3 leh

some of the issues are already resolved with subsequent iterations

🤓

• Praise 1

Actually it's pretty simple isn't it.

Mpv is just Ody for lower budget (though now got Ody hybrid). Sharan for higher budget. 

Very few cars now are below a 6/10. Most can get the job done in most ways. Unless it's the marginal buyers budget car.  So just buy what u like lah. 

Turbocharged

I'm seeing this more and more among my peers too.... 50 yo, still have kids way under psle age. 

All the best, you are not alone. Enjoy their company!

↡ Advertisement