My quest for finding the perfect MPV for my family

Ctaiwee

33 minutes ago, Didu said:

I think I've said this before. I hardly get to use my 3rd row seats because my family usually have their own travel plans. If I'd driven a B&B car, and once in a blue moon when all is going to a restaurant to celebrate someone's birthday, it's still cheaper to pay for the occasional extra taxi/Grab. But that's just me & my family's circumstances.

Yep, so that's why I won't get a large MPV and carry all that weight and pay more in FC... but TS has stated his preference, and his selection, so he will live with his decision ...

To each his own right?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

@therock the Serena is kind of a petrol version MPV its a Hybrid that uses A 1.2L and engine to charge its battery, it doesn’t have a electric charger plug. You still have to pump petrol into it. The motor takes petrol but give out electric.

2 minutes ago, Ctaiwee said:

@therock the Serena is kind of a petrol version MPV its a Hybrid that uses A 1.2L and engine to charge its battery, it doesn’t have a electric charger plug. You still have to pump petrol into it. The motor takes petrol but give out electric.

Yep, I am not keen on any forms of batteries right now, be it in a hybrid or a full electric. For low mileage users, the cost of a replacement battery will wipe out any savings..

And the Jap cars are usually 2l NA or less, and I guess I'm a little spoilt by the allure of the turbo...

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Didu said:

I think I've said this before. I hardly get to use my 3rd row seats because my family usually have their own travel plans. If I'd driven a B&B car, and once in a blue moon when all is going to a restaurant to celebrate someone's birthday, it's still cheaper to pay for the occasional extra taxi/Grab. But that's just me & my family's circumstances.

Yeah we tried that too, but having the two kids together in the Grab or taxi without a baby seat with 6 adults every weekend is a risk. Never know when  an accident might happen.

(edited)

@therock yes turbo is fun to have. And you know what. Like it or not, we all have to change to an electric car in the future with the government policy at 2030, you are right about having to change the battery life,  might as well enjoy the petrol cars with turbo, twin charged , natural aspirated motors as long as we can before the change. Oh I still miss the old time when we can still get our hands dirty and changing our own engine old or spark plugs with our dads.

Edited by Ctaiwee

I have been reading posts about getting a Vellfire/Alphard. As a ex-owner, there are simply too many cons more than pros for my case. Beside the horrendous FC of about 7.5km/L, the car is huge so means difficult to manouvre in tight carparks or parking into lots. Actually it would be better off to get the smaller cousins like triplets or Serena or  Stepwagon. I have personally owned Biante and Stepwagon for few years, and can vouch that they are enough to serve the needs of a large family well. Such cars can accommodate 7 pax comfortably yet frugal to run and maneuver anywhere as they are just slightly longer than Civic for example. They are especially good for long trips up North as can carry many pax in comfort yet not being huge theft targets like Vellfire/Alphard. But some will not like the shapes of such cars so will strike them off without giving second chance, really quite sad. I would say the latest Voxy/Noah looks quite stunning and come with quite some useful features.

Anyway understand that this Vellfire/Alphard is the dream of most MPV owners, just be knowledgeable about what you are getting yourself into. I still can recall a first time owner complaining aloud about the FC after his first few tanks and wondering why it is so bad. Definitely never do enough homework before buying. Too late!

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

I have been reading posts about getting a Vellfire/Alphard. As a ex-owner, there are simply too many cons more than pros for my case. Beside the horrendous FC of about 7.5km/L, the car is huge so means difficult to manouvre in tight carparks or parking into lots. Actually it would be better off to get the smaller cousins like triplets or Serena or  Stepwagon. I have personally owned Biante and Stepwagon for few years, and can vouch that they are enough to serve the needs of a large family well. Such cars can accommodate 7 pax comfortably yet frugal to run and maneuver anywhere as they are just slightly longer than Civic for example. They are especially good for long trips up North as can carry many pax in comfort yet not being huge theft targets like Vellfire/Alphard. But some will not like the shapes of such cars so will strike them off without giving second chance, really quite sad. I would say the latest Voxy/Noah looks quite stunning and come with quite some useful features.

Anyway understand that this Vellfire/Alphard is the dream of most MPV owners, just be knowledgeable about what you are getting yourself into. I still can recall a first time owner complaining aloud about the FC after his first few tanks and wondering why it is so bad. Definitely never do enough homework before buying. Too late!

Good to know that the FC is so bad on the Alphard  and it doesn’t have that much of a power too. Unless you go for the V6 engine which will drink like a thirsty first date.🤣. My first choice was the Alphard when we wanted to switch to a 7-8 seater. But after much research, it wasn’t anymore 

Edited by Ctaiwee

On 10/4/2022 at 6:20 AM, Beanoyip said:

If I were you, i'll take the Kia carnival anytime, the space is unparalleled. 

Can't beat the Hyundai Staria. 

• Haha! 1

(edited)

@Voodooman yeah you are right , Cant beat it at 2m height and also 3.5liter engine too. Pay road tax like crazy and can’t enter older carparks with height restrictions. 

Edited by Ctaiwee

16 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

I feel your pain, and that is the reason why we wanted the iosfix at the 3rd row to have someone at the back with the older kid why the elderly takes care of the yonger kid at the 2nd row. We needed the boot space to at least place a stroller when all seats are up. I’m sure it’s only common sense that when you go out with kids you bring the stroller. And when the whole family comes out you still bring the stroller.

Im new to this Forum, and this is the first article that I’m actually write as I hoping that other new family looking for MPV like mine will have an insight of my  journey . But somehow I get the feeling that used car dealers that are stuck without a lot of MPV that are not selling took offense to my article.
I’m sorry if you took offenses, there will be other needs for other people, and everyone will have a car that will suit them during a certain time of their life.

I fully understand your situation, as i've been there some ~17 yr ago, with memory still fresh. 

We didn't wanna stretch our budget to get a big MPV then, and chose the versatile - and later very popular - Wish. It turned out to be a good choice, fortunately. I said fortunately, cos actually safety-wise, i later realise it's not the safest, when 3rd row is occupied (regardless by who). But luckily on the 3 occasions when we had someone kissed our backside, they were all not v hard, and there was noone at 3rd row.

The flip side about Wish, was that there's no boot space to speak of, when all 3 rows are in use. And we actually chose a stroller that's not those that can fold very flexibly into a compact size (which will have chance to squeeze inside the minimal space behind 3rd row). So when only 4 of us went out, we ended up putting the stroller in the front passenger seat... When my parents came along, we had to leave the stroller out of the trip... oddly, what helped in a way, was that the boy didn't like the stroller much, as soon as he started to walk around 9 mth... so we sold it off before he was even 18 mth... 

Oh, i did not take offence at all. Started reading when you first posted, but i didn't reply much till the last couple days. I have a soft spot for MPVs, esp in the early years of the kids. Had moved to SUV, but still think the right MPV could be useful.

It's understandable that driving 2 cars could be a better choice for some, but the chance to have the everyone (kids + grannies) in the same car, is to be treasured - even at a cost...

• Praise 5

9 minutes ago, Ctaiwee said:

@Voodooman yeah you are right , Cant beat it at 2m height and also 3.5liter engine too. Pay road tax like crazy and can’t enter older carparks with height restrictions. 

The boot space is easily 30% more that the carnival but it drives like a boat (but still better than Alphard IMHO). 

• Haha! 1

37 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Can't beat the Hyundai Staria. 

ha ha... yah, this is huge. Bigger than the starex even, it seems.

So far, i've only seen one on our road, though, and it's registered as a commercial G plate van...

But i get your point. If no budget constraint (and no need worry about hight limit), this should be the ultimate comfort. 

I can see Aust and NZ car rental companies stocking this up to replace the iMax (starex) they have... good for family driving vacations.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

I fully understand your situation, as i've been there some ~17 yr ago, with memory still fresh. 

We didn't wanna stretch our budget to get a big MPV then, and chose the versatile - and later very popular - Wish. It turned out to be a good choice, fortunately. I said fortunately, cos actually safety-wise, i later realise it's not the safest, when 3rd row is occupied (regardless by who). But luckily on the 3 occasions when we had someone kissed our backside, they were all not v hard, and there was noone at 3rd row.

The flip side about Wish, was that there's no boot space to speak of, when all 3 rows are in use. And we actually chose a stroller that's not those that can fold very flexibly into a compact size (which will have chance to squeeze inside the minimal space behind 3rd row). So when only 4 of us went out, we ended up putting the stroller in the front passenger seat... When my parents came along, we had to leave the stroller out of the trip... oddly, what helped in a way, was that the boy didn't like the stroller much, as soon as he started to walk around 9 mth... so we sold it off before he was even 18 mth... 

Oh, i did not take offence at all. Started reading when you first posted, but i didn't reply much till the last couple days. I have a soft spot for MPVs, esp in the early years of the kids. Had moved to SUV, but still think the right MPV could be useful.

It's understandable that driving 2 cars could be a better choice for some, but the chance to have the everyone (kids + grannies) in the same car, is to be treasured - even at a cost...

Yes it’s priceless when the whole family is inside one car together. The experience of laughter and cries. I’m sure I’ll go to a SUV when I don’t need the stroller anymore. 

yea we will still have the two cars for convenience, just changing one of it to a MPV.

• Praise 1

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Dilemma said:

Just realized the Sharan was launch in 2011 and till now its the same model. is the engine the same as well with the infamous DSG?

Not sure about what is was in 2011, but I was told that it’s now  the 6 speed DSG wet Clutch. And the engine (EA888) since had also had many upgrades since

Edited by Ctaiwee

Twincharged
16 hours ago, therock said:

Thanks, way too big, way too ex and I might as well buy a bus, haha... 

no way can a toyota hiace compare to the comfort of an alphard.

↡ Advertisement