My quest for finding the perfect MPV for my family

Ctaiwee

23 minutes ago, Ctaiwee said:

Yes it’s priceless when the whole family is inside one car together. The experience of laughter and cries. I’m sure I’ll go to a SUV when I don’t need the stroller anymore. 

yea we will still have the two cars for convenience, just changing one of it to a MPV.

For me this is another myth unless you are talking about longer drives out of the country. Over here the most we stay in a car is only about 30min unless get caught in huge jams so to me is mostly functional events. When very young like toddler phase, I do not think it matters much as they would most likely be struggling to get out of the child seats and demanding to use the phones from the parents if they allow. When get older like in primary school onwards especially after the kids are given personal phones, most likely no more talking in cars just staring into hps when in motion. Thinking back I would say the whole idea is abit overrated unless for long duration like holiday. Even when going for driving vacation overseas I have to constantly demand that the kids put their phones away to enjoy the scenary and to have family time together. Really sad when you spent all the efforts and money to bring the family out of country and they chose to glue to their phones instead of enjoying the beautiful winter scenary outside the moving train.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

For me this is another myth unless you are talking about longer drives out of the country. Over here the most we stay in a car is only about 30min unless get caught in huge jams so to me is mostly functional events. When very young like toddler phase, I do not think it matters much as they would most likely be struggling to get out of the child seats and demanding to use the phones from the parents if they allow. When get older like in primary school onwards especially after the kids are given personal phones, most likely no more talking in cars just staring into hps when in motion. Thinking back I would say the whole idea is abit overrated unless for long duration like holiday. Even when going for driving vacation overseas I have to constantly demand that the kids put their phones away to enjoy the scenary and to have family time together. Really sad when you spent all the efforts and money to bring the family out of country and they chose to glue to their phones instead of enjoying the beautiful winter scenary outside the moving train.

Mine are 6&9.. no phones yet.. just sing along to the Spotify songs when on vacation longer drives…. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Ctaiwee said:

Yes it’s priceless when the whole family is inside one car together. The experience of laughter and cries. I’m sure I’ll go to a SUV when I don’t need the stroller anymore. 

yea we will still have the two cars for convenience, just changing one of it to a MPV.

So you have two cars... well it's very different then.. you can have a Ferrari and your VW..

Personally the 'price' of separate cars is worth it for me, because most of the time, there won't be seven pax. But that's my own view.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

@Ctaiwee Minor issue,but...every now & then have message Pop up...very jialat...i remember..just go in Agent..replace a Bulb..which take 4 Hours..the next Day another Bulb failed.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, ER-3682 said:

@Ctaiwee Minor issue,but...every now & then have message Pop up...very jialat...i remember..just go in Agent..replace a Bulb..which take 4 Hours..the next Day another Bulb failed.

Halogen headlight?

CMI le

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

parents never teach lor....

How dare they use the phone when Pa and Ma slog like hell to gather everyone in a big comfy MPV 😁

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

SUV has taken over the roads - and carparks - nowadays. i just checked the other day, a quick scan at my carpark, showed that out of about 20 nearest cars, almost 16 of them have no backside, i.e. is either a SUV or crossover, hatch or MPV...

but really nothing too fantastic, except that initial feeling to be in sync with the current trend. The other good thing is the height - driver gets to see more of the road. But that's true of MPV anyway too, and MPV has more space for people. After 5 years, i'm thinking of going back to MPV again.

If everyone drove cars with sliding doors we will have less dings.. 

but some MPV are huge.. plenty of work for body shops …

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

What you said is quite valid. In fact, even for overseas driving vacation, ever so often the kids or the grannies would be sleeping away when travelling long distance.

But what I had experienced before, was when my late grandma was still around, and when i had to ferry her around for some occasions, she was so glad to see the great-grandchildren in the vehicle, no matter the duration. We did try to visit her now and then, but even then she would relish the opportunity to be close to the kids. 

Also, when we were changing from the Wish to SUV, wife liked the Eclipse Cross, but then our daughter actually commented that oh, then cannot go out with grandparents in same vehicle... so we eventually chosen xtrail (a 5+2) instead. Not the best choice, as it turned out, but because of what i mentioned above, i still feel that it is good to be able to go out together in one vehicle.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ctaiwee said:

@Heartlander yes it will change, Sad to say that it will come to that too for me. we milk it as much as we can while the kids are still young 

You mentioned your parents/in-laws are in the 80s?

While kids will grow up fast, so yes, should - quoting you - milk it as much as we can while the kids are still young...
another factor is that the grandparents are also ageing rapidly, and... in all honesty, will not be around for very long... 

I've had to ferry my grandma around a bit when she was alive. I daresay i did that most, among my 20+ cousins. Honestly, I was grumbling why my cousins did not help out more, but thinking back, i hope that i - with help of my kids' presence - would have brought more comfort to my grandma in her later/final years.

I've extended this line of thought to my parents now, as they are in their mid/late 80s too. So have been considering whether to go back to MPV... but the COE is discouraging me 😅

• Praise 2

I choose my current car because the hip point is perfect for elderly 

not too high or low

and it has two isofix points and seven airbags with a good rating 

the light turbo can climb genting with ease.. with my wife, mum and MIL altogether 

gonna miss my car when it’s due .. 

but with my little one in the picture and a helper now I’ll need more seats eventually 

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

You mentioned your parents/in-laws are in the 80s?

While kids will grow up fast, so yes, should - quoting you - milk it as much as we can while the kids are still young...
another factor is that the grandparents are also ageing rapidly, and... in all honesty, will not be around for very long... 

I've had to ferry my grandma around a bit when she was alive. I daresay i did that most, among my 20+ cousins. Honestly, I was grumbling why my cousins did not help out more, but thinking back, i hope that i - with help of my kids' presence - would have brought more comfort to my grandma in her later/final years.

I've extended this line of thought to my parents now, as they are in their mid/late 80s too. So have been considering whether to go back to MPV... but the COE is discouraging me 😅

Drop liao drop liao. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, therock said:

I choose my current car because the hip point is perfect for elderly 

not too high or low

and it has two isofix points and seven airbags with a good rating 

the light turbo can climb genting with ease.. with my wife, mum and MIL altogether 

gonna miss my car when it’s due .. 

but with my little one in the picture and a helper now I’ll need more seats eventually 

GLB200! [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

35 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

GLB200! [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

I really like the styling and the performance was good

but I’m not too fond of paying so much for a Mexican car with a French based engine 

sadly I understand there aren’t any other factories 

A Voxy with the vios GR sport engine will be very very interesting haha

or a RAV Prime with a turbo?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1