My quest for finding the perfect MPV for my family

Ctaiwee

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

For CVT, it is useless 

Depends on the Brand,if Subaru WRX,not bad,i tried my Camry's E-CVT,also can work,if Nissan or Mitsubitshi CVT,forget it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

13 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Depends on the Brand,if Subaru WRX,not bad,i tried my Camry's E-CVT,also can work,if Nissan or Mitsubitshi CVT,forget it.

Camry E-CVT not exactly CVT. It behaves like CVT without the downside of CVT.

It is different from Toyota ICE car CVT.

Edited by inlinesix

The CVT in the Voxy / Noah is some kind of Direct Shift-CVT? 

https://global.toyota/en/mobility/tnga/powertrain2018/cvt/

I can commiserate with TS for choosing a turbo.. it's not that we are speed demons, sometimes, you need a little help merging into traffic and that turbo helps a lot..

Direct Shift Continuously Variable Transmission Overview

Although CVTs are great, they have room for improvement for lower speeds since they slightly sacrifice low-speed performance for better overall performance and efficiency at higher speeds. Your vehicle spends most of its operation time at higher speeds; thus, this issue is minor, but Direct Shift CVTs are the new innovative solution to bring the best of both worlds. Direct Shift CVT gets a Launch Gear, combining the best components of traditional transmissions and CVTs. The result is a transmission that has the first gear to accelerate from a stop, and then it acts like a CVT at higher speeds to capitalize on the benefits of both. Other benefits include reducing transmission size and weight, broader functionality for more efficiency across the driving range, instant acceleration from a stop, and six percent savings for fuel. Also, drivers can enjoy a sporty driving experience through the 10-speed simulated gear ratios that act as normal gears and are paddle shifter controllable.

https://www.westminstertoyota.com/direct-shift-cvt-and-cvt-what-do-they-offer.htm

Edited by therock
  • Praise 2

47 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

You can’t do that for CVT.

Need to wait for engagement 

Are you sure it isn’t even better wait for wedding? 

• Haha! 3

So I had the Sharan  for a month now, here are the break down of what I like and what I don’t.

Good

it Damm fast for a family car, the 2.0 turbocharged EA888 doesn’t disappoint. Over taking and gunning off is so zippy for a big car like this .

the space, I get at least 3 happy person sitting at the middle  row, they don’t rub shoulders at all.

the back space has been used many times now as the whole family goes out every weekend. It got a few getting use to when I need to put the elder kid at the back row with the ISOfix. A few time I had to ferry 3 kids and having them all in the second row works well. This is when there are no adults at the last third row.

the spacious wide front wind screen, I see much more and sitting taller helps too.

the interstated boaster seat for kids that are from 3 to 12 works great and save a lot of time trying to add a boaster seat for the unexpected kid that tags along for a joy ride.

the self parking works when I’m lazy, and when it’s a bit of a tight space.

the extra netting system, helps me store more things when all seats are up. It hangs mid way above the boot space and it carries the lighter things during grocery shopping.

when I need the it to work as a van for my production shoots, it folds flat down and I can put in Cstands and long sliders. It is even comes with all the netting and strap’s accessories to help you strap it and divide the space and secure the load. Almost like a highace cargo van with the back net to protect the driver and side passenger.

no Good,

a lot of small space that doesn’t make sense as it’s has a very dated interior. The space in the middle of the gear shift is so small and shallow that you can’t put a apple iPhone 13 max , I tried the small phones and it fits but 3rd of the phone sticks out. Even When a basic cash card will have 1/4th of it sticking out. 

very bad lousy CarPlay system. Can’t help you message when you press the “speak Button “ on the steering wheel. My old 2series which didn’t have the touch screen CarPlay function like this VW had the basic command to send a message, I use to drive my kids to sleep, and when they fall asleep , I’ll just ask Siri to send a massage by pressing and speaking via Bluetooth . Bloody VW only can call, read message , play songs , 

doesn’t have the auto side mirror close when you leave and lock the car. I was told that even jailbreaking the  system to code might not guarantee that it will work.

Last  one I can’t complain, it drinks when I floor it. I guess it’s how you drive. I keep thinking this is just a Fat Golf GTI. So I Drive like one when the kids are not in the car. Lol.

• Praise 6

Reading this thread is somewhat educational and eye-opening - I had no idea these much thought are spent in configuring how the children sit, and every single consideration to their comfort and space. 

To put into perspective, I didn't even grow up with any family cars. What a contrast.

Edited by 107fan
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 9/29/2022 at 3:42 PM, Ctaiwee said:

Opel Zafira E Life 

A car means not only what you want in terms of safety and comfort, but also primarily a vehicle and not a comfortable hotel. As for the cost, you also ask about the cost of further maintenance and maintenance and not just the initial price of the car itself. If you are in your place, you should take a test drive and feel how this or that car behaves on the road. After all, safety depends not only on the systems and design of the car, but also on you as a driver. Treat this more responsibly than the question of a panoramic roof.

On 11/7/2022 at 1:28 AM, 107fan said:

Reading this thread is somewhat educational and eye-opening - I had no idea these much thought are spent in configuring how the children sit, and every single consideration to their comfort and space. 

To put into perspective, I didn't even grow up with any family cars. What a contrast.

We had less options

less knowledge 

but more children back then… 

after two is enough, two airbags isn’t anymore 😆 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Recently went around whole of sg to research and test drove a lot of MPV/SUV.

Below is a list of those that i tested. Numbers next to it indicate the quantity sold in the last 3 mths. If anyone is curious about any model, i can provide some basic feedback. Last owned a car 10+ years ago. My criteria is mainly on 7 seater, space, affordability and exterior/interior feel. 

Mazda 5 62, Pug 5008 10(Facelift and Pre), Kia Carens 13, VW Touran 43/Sharan 24, Bmw 216i GT 82, Renault GS 28, Citroen GC4P 24, Merc GLB 50, Honda Freed 122/Odyssey 120/Mobilio 14/Jade 4, Toyota Sienta 124/Wish 242/Stream 164/Estima 172, Mitsubish Outlander 85, Skoda Kodiaq 16, Hyundai Santa Fe 6, Nissan X-Trail 49, Opel Grand Zafira 1

With the high  COE price now,  all the family MPV wannabe would likely put their plan on hold because this group of people are quite practical folks, unless the velfire group  which are using it for tourist  transport purpose. 

im sure they flatten the back seats and made it to Van mode. This way 2 adults in-front maybe with one kid on the adult on passage seat, then they squeeze 20 people (7 adults and 13 kids)at the back . This is the old kampung way of traveling.

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

im sure they flatten the back seats and made it to Van mode. This way 2 adults in-front maybe with one kid on the adult on passage seat, then they squeeze 20 people (7 adults and 13 kids)at the back . This is the old kampung way of traveling.

anything happen then can say bye bye to everyone.....so dangerouns and I believe Insurance will not cover as it is illegal and exceed the car stated capacity .....silly ler actually....what were they thinking!! safety 1st!!

↡ Advertisement