My quest for finding the perfect MPV for my family

Ctaiwee

1 hour ago, Dilemma said:

Well, my helper will always be at the 3rd row. 

ok.
when we had our 2nd baby, the older one was only 21 mth old, and still required baby seat. We didn't have helper, and always felt that should have adult sitting beside the baby (or the older one, before the younger one came along), to be safe/sure.

Before the younger one came along, our G9 corolla was fine. Wife would sit beside the girl (elder one) at the back row, keeping an eye on her.

Then when the boy (younger one) came, we tried putting 2 baby seats in 2nd row, and wife had to sit slanted... 😓

As we didn't have big budget - and more so, i was not as knowledgeable as now - we went to buy a Wish and put one baby seat each in row 2 and 3. Wife would sit in 3rd row with the boy, while the girl sits in 2nd row. Wife would always be beside the boy for the first 9-12 mth.

Only when the boy was older, then we started to have instances where there's no adult besides him, when it was really necessary.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

The triplets...  Wife didn't like the look (from the back) when it was basically mostly the twins (only Noah and Voxy), and we eventually switched to SUV instead, after driving Wish for 13 yr. Then 2 yr ago we were thinking of getting a MPV again, and went to check out the triplets (by which time it's become so popular on the roads) again. With Toyota c-sense included now, the triplet is really quite a good proposition for anyone who needs a decently-big MPV for family comfort and who doesn't want to spend a bomb on Carnival... except that it only has 2 airbags! Went to a few PIs, and it was all the same. Even for Stepwagon (which once upon a time got 6 airbags for hybrid)...

This was a bit of a surprise, as nowadays even most sedans have 6 airbags, but a full-size MPV still only has 2...

Anyway, congrats to TS for his new needs, and in choosing a MPV that ticks all/most of his boxes.

It depends on how long ago you went to see Voxy and Noah.

MY2022 should have 10 airbags.

5 minutes ago, therock said:

Two airbags??

aiyoh 

oh I saw it’s an E Serena from Nissan 

yup, i was also shocked got MPVs with only 2 airbags... our PIs really squeeze the OMV...

ok, Serena is 6 (or is it 7?) airbags. Only thing i dun like is Tan Chong didn't bring in model with electronic parking brake... Else it was quite good overall.

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It depends on how long ago you went to see Voxy and Noah.

MY2022 should have 10 airbags.

Aug 2020. that was 2nd round. first round would have been around 2016/7. 

1 minute ago, Atrecord said:

Aug 2020. that was 2nd round. first round would have been around 2016/7. 

Currently, what is sold in Japan has 6 in front and 2 in 2nd/3rd row as standard.

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Currently, what is sold in Japan has 6 in front and 2 in 2nd/3rd row as standard.

alamak... Japan sure got lah. 

it's our local PIs who bring in the 2/3 airbags variant, in order to sell at attractive prices... i just checked sgcarmart, still 2/3 airbags only lor...

talking point: dowan name which one, but got PI... when i asked why dun bring in more airbags one for safety reason, it being a family-oriented MPV... one SE actually said airbags actually not really necessary. As long as got safety belt, it's very safe liao... i just smiled (seemingly in agreement)...

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

alamak... Japan sure got lah. 

it's our local PIs who bring in the 2/3 airbags variant, in order to sell at attractive prices... i just checked sgcarmart, still 2/3 airbags only lor...

talking point: dowan name which one, but got PI... when i asked why dun bring in more airbags one for safety reason, it being a family-oriented MPV... one SE actually said airbags actually not really necessary. As long as got safety belt, it's very safe liao... i just smiled (seemingly in agreement)...

It is standard equipment in Japan.

Unless PI spent money to remove it.

I don't trust those listing as it is likely not updated.

6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It is standard equipment in Japan.

Unless PI spent money to remove it.

I don't trust those listing as it is likely not updated.

hmm... then must confirm at the PIs... confirm they won't spend $$ remove...

• Praise 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Dilemma said:

@Ctaiwee Trust me, u won't want to put the baby seat in the 3rd row. I have 2 in the middle row.

I don’t want to either , but it’s the best for my family at the moment ,  as I have two 80 year olds and one is blind. So having to get the elderly to the 3rd row is just as much as a challenge too. If your kids are both in the second row, how do you get to the 3rd row with the seats fix on, unless you have a walk through. So one in the middle row and one at the 3rd row.

Edited by Ctaiwee

4 hours ago, Dilemma said:

@Ctaiwee Trust me, u won't want to put the baby seat in the 3rd row. I have 2 in the middle row.

Agree. @Ctaiwee,  think about it, by the time you have 3 children, the eldest should be on a booster seat, there is not need to have 3 baby seats in a car. Unless you are very productive to have 1 each in 3 consecutive years 😄😄

• Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

ok.
when we had our 2nd baby, the older one was only 21 mth old, and still required baby seat. We didn't have helper, and always felt that should have adult sitting beside the baby (or the older one, before the younger one came along), to be safe/sure.

Before the younger one came along, our G9 corolla was fine. Wife would sit beside the girl (elder one) at the back row, keeping an eye on her.

Then when the boy (younger one) came, we tried putting 2 baby seats in 2nd row, and wife had to sit slanted... 😓

As we didn't have big budget - and more so, i was not as knowledgeable as now - we went to buy a Wish and put one baby seat each in row 2 and 3. Wife would sit in 3rd row with the boy, while the girl sits in 2nd row. Wife would always be beside the boy for the first 9-12 mth.

Only when the boy was older, then we started to have instances where there's no adult besides him, when it was really necessary.

I feel your pain, and that is the reason why we wanted the iosfix at the 3rd row to have someone at the back with the older kid why the elderly takes care of the yonger kid at the 2nd row. We needed the boot space to at least place a stroller when all seats are up. I’m sure it’s only common sense that when you go out with kids you bring the stroller. And when the whole family comes out you still bring the stroller.

Im new to this Forum, and this is the first article that I’m actually write as I hoping that other new family looking for MPV like mine will have an insight of my  journey . But somehow I get the feeling that used car dealers that are stuck without a lot of MPV that are not selling took offense to my article.
I’m sorry if you took offenses, there will be other needs for other people, and everyone will have a car that will suit them during a certain time of their life.

Edited by Ctaiwee
  • Praise 2

I see that some third row seats can fold to the sides, which makes entry via the rear much easier and may negate the need for a sliding door?

I’m very impressed with those large rear doors Eg the Voxy or the Serena. But I’m not big on Nissans actually 

if I do get a car I’ll probably opt for a petrol version given my low mileage 

(edited)

@Ct3833 I agree with you About the boaster seats, and yes the factory is close .” So she said” 😂

Edited by Ctaiwee
  • Praise 1

8 minutes ago, therock said:

I see that some third row seats can fold to the sides, which makes entry via the rear much easier and may negate the need for a sliding door?

I’m very impressed with those large rear doors Eg the Voxy or the Serena. But I’m not big on Nissans actually 

if I do get a car I’ll probably opt for a petrol version given my low mileage 

the Alphard is like that, you can walk in from the back. When the back seats are closed up.

30 minutes ago, Ctaiwee said:

the Alphard is like that, you can walk in from the back. When the back seats are closed up.

Thanks, way too big, way too ex and I might as well buy a bus, haha... 

Yeah, the only options are those MPV that has the middle opening configuration in the 2nd row  and at the same time the 3rd back seats has to fold to the side. The only can you walk in from the back . 

Supercharged

I think I've said this before. I hardly get to use my 3rd row seats because my family usually have their own travel plans. If I'd driven a B&B car, and once in a blue moon when all is going to a restaurant to celebrate someone's birthday, it's still cheaper to pay for the occasional extra taxi/Grab. But that's just me & my family's circumstances.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7