My quest for finding the perfect MPV for my family

Ctaiwee

Twincharged
54 minutes ago, Tohto said:

You will get use to the size after driving for a while.

I rented a Toyota Sienna in US during Aug, the length is 5.170m. When just drive out of rental car company did feel a bit un-easy but after a while fully get use to the size.

I agree. To sum up. Bo skill means bo skill. Too big too small. Tiny bluesg get wrecked to bits. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Actually 4.7m is not that long. Only those longer than 4.9m need abit more skill to maneuver when in tight spaces. Driving on the road car length is quite insignificant regardless if the car is 4m or 5m long. Car width is more tricky than car length. If really worried, get one that come with 360 camera system, or install a aftermarket one. Really useful feature.

Thanks 

I’m more concerned about car parks

I’ve rented large cars on holiday 

my current car is about 4.4m and a breeze to park - has auto park too and a 5.5 m turning radius 

4 hours ago, therock said:

Thanks 

I’m more concerned about car parks

I’ve rented large cars on holiday 

my current car is about 4.4m and a breeze to park - has auto park too and a 5.5 m turning radius 

Another way to deal with it is to rent the exact car when oversea holiday. This Voxy/Noah easily availble in Japan. Can rent it nxt time you go there for holiday, really great to have prolong experience driving it around to see whether you like it or not. I did that before getting my Vellfire in 2017, really a great process thinking back.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Tohto said:

You will get use to the size after driving for a while.

I rented a Toyota Sienna in US during Aug, the length is 5.170m. When just drive out of rental car company did feel a bit un-easy but after a while fully get use to the size.

US and Singapore different lah. Many of our car parks here are not designed for big cars.

41 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

US and Singapore different lah. Many of our car parks here are not designed for big cars.

NYC car park are actually very tight. You will be surprised to see many lot are small.

Those parallel parking are parking almost bumper to bumper which surprised me how they get in and out. Many car also fit with a bumper protector rubber.

Not surprised when their in door parking cost usd16.95 for 30 mins or more.

Edited by Tohto

I drove the domestic equivalent of the Hummer for a holiday... lovely when I was in the National Parks, but a monster in town..

The American car that I liked most was the Jeep Cherokee... 

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

NYC car park are actually very tight. You will be surprised to see many lot are small.

Those parallel parking are parking almost bumper to bumper which surprised me how they get in and out. Many car also fit with a bumper protector rubber.

Not surprised when their in door parking cost usd16.95 for 30 mins or more.

i drove the chevrolet traverse in NYC, rented it there to drive out and kept it till a day before our flight, quite hard to park it in NYC hahahaha, about 5.230 metres i think. Damn huge but got used to it, so much so that when i got back to sg and drove my gti, the first drive i turned too fast and bua my front left rim 😅

20220707_160013.jpg

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Haha! 6

(edited)
17 hours ago, Heartlander said:

The 6th gen Stepwgn has arrived in HK. As a past owner, personally I prefer the latest Voxy/Noah over it any time. It does not have any significant new features, only the 1.5L turbo engine is something I like. I prefer the 5th gen external look, while the changes inside is only incremental.Frankly I hate the removal of waku waku door. Now it looks more van-like comparing to the rest of the minivans unlike the 5th gen which is the direct opposite.

Still don’t have isofix at the 3rd row, and the video , the presenter says , “the space behind is made more for kids”. 

this is my point, why do car makers want you to put the kids in the prized 2nd row with the leg rest and arm rest why get the adults to squeeze into the back seats which’s has limited leg room.

Edited by Ctaiwee

9 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

I agree with you, try parking in the older carparks with a long vehicle, you can see a lot of scratches mark on the turning wall and Kerbs .

https://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=e&AID=3256&CT=e

The space in the US and Australia is huge in most parts, you can head in with no problem. 

36 minutes ago, Ctaiwee said:

Still don’t have isofix at the 3rd row, and the video , the presenter says , “the space behind is made more for kids”. 

this is my point, why do car makers want you to put the kids in the prized 2nd row with the leg rest and arm rest why get the adults to squeeze into the back seats which’s has limited leg room.

Higher survival for the kid and it’s also easier to take the child or seat out ?

You’ve got your needs bro and I’m glad you’ve found a car which meets it, but maybe it’s a minority because if there’s huge market, I’m sure car makers will respond accordingly 👍 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

Pardon me putting it direct, if the rear seats for such minivans like Stepwgn and triplets and Serena are for kids, then those full-size MPVs like Sharan and Odyssey are only suitable for smaller kids. Do check out the cars to see for yourself. I have owned a few MPVs and have had Sharan for a few days as courtesy car during the infamous DSG days, and definitely know about the space issue.

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

And I think there iare good reasons why Isofix points are not implemented commonly in third row. People are already complaining difficulty in mounting child seats onto 2nd row seats, and without a direct opening for 3rd row, would that be even much more challenging? And why would car manufacturers want to put so many Isofix points in the cars as that would drive up production cost, when just cater for 3 of them in 2nd row would serve the needs for 99% of owners with bigger family.

And as pointed out earlier, 2nd row seats are the safest as most owners would not want to put kids in 3rd row unless no choice. If Isofix points are available in 3rd row seats, then you will face the dilemma of choosing whose lives are more important to decide who sit where. Better to be more simple minded.

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, therock said:

Higher survival for the kid and it’s also easier to take the child or seat out ?

You’ve got your needs bro and I’m glad you’ve found a car which meets it, but maybe it’s a minority because if there’s huge market, I’m sure car makers will respond accordingly 👍 

I cannot agree more on this man. [thumbsup]

And seriously, isnt this just plain common sense? [laugh]

It is already challenging for an adult to "crawl" in/out of the last row without a walk through 2nd row, cannot imagine the back breaking action of having to fix the car seats, fill the child there, bucket up and doing the reverse with the 3rd row. 

Touch wood, anything happen, adults might be able to react, and hopefully crawl out before any spark, but the kid? Likely BBQ liao. 

And wait till the kid throw out in the last row because of fish tailing and rocking of the car. [laugh]

Yes, there is a damn good reason why car factories dont have isofix in the 3rd row, simply because child car seats are not suppose to be there, for safety/survival reason that is. I will never place my child/grandchild/great grandchild in the 3rd row to a car seat. But then not my child, boh wah daiji. [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4

(edited)
9 hours ago, Tianmo said:

I cannot agree more on this man. [thumbsup]

And seriously, isnt this just plain common sense? [laugh]

It is already challenging for an adult to "crawl" in/out of the last row without a walk through 2nd row, cannot imagine the back breaking action of having to fix the car seats, fill the child there, bucket up and doing the reverse with the 3rd row. 

Touch wood, anything happen, adults might be able to react, and hopefully crawl out before any spark, but the kid? Likely BBQ liao. 

And wait till the kid throw out in the last row because of fish tailing and rocking of the car. [laugh]

Yes, there is a damn good reason why car factories dont have isofix in the 3rd row, simply because child car seats are not suppose to be there, for safety/survival reason that is. I will never place my child/grandchild/great grandchild in the 3rd row to a car seat. But then not my child, boh wah daiji. [:p][laugh][laugh]

But this is the point, you mean that cars like that are only meant for 2 kids? If you happen to have more, you will be gambling with the other kids life. So if you have an rear accident , of cos it that rear that will the most impactful be it adults or kids. And if the 2nd row is so safe, it’s also the worst if you are being T-Boned.

if you kids are about 3- 12I’m sure it will be easier for them to get to the back then an 80 adult.

I’m not talking about a baby here. The whole point is the older kids seating at the back . If you make space that are so small at least have integrated child site for kids that are 3-12 or of a certain height.

and it’s also not true that about the isofix, actually there are  quite some cars with IsoFix for 3 kids. 

https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/cars-3-isofix-child-seat-points-970#gref

Edited by Ctaiwee

Turbocharged
On 10/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, Gizmore said:

I used to be very anal about the car interior cleanliness. 

Like you, with the kids, they do everything.... thereafter, cannot be bother anymore. Just vacuum once a month inside. Exterior.... sometimes 3 months wash once... 

carwash is the best ... i put my twins in the car, find the longest queue car wash, and they sit quietly with me for 60-90min waiting ... at 2 years old, still easy to entertain them while giving my wife a break from time to time lol

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Did some errands and I dropped by Leng Kee to KPO...

The Sienta is quite decent looking, but I wonder how much is it to change the battery? 5-6k at least I think... which will kill any fuel savings and the final value is lower due to the VES grade
Good leg room and lots of storage

The Honda Freed is a VES B car, BUT only two airbags - sad...

And for both cars, the second row seats are set low, so it may not suit taller folks, as the thigh support is minimal..

Lydia Sui at Honda is friendly and knowledgeable.. no pressure to buy either

Also, for the price of a CRV, you can get a GLB... I think Honda won't be moving too many units... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2