My quest for finding the perfect MPV for my family

Ctaiwee

@Carbon82 thank you for the insight, it’s a good thing to know that it will fit a wheelchair with all three rows of seats up. Yes it was also a consideration for us too with the whole flat based loading when all the 2&3 row seats are kept down. Not like some with other type where the chairs are only angled backwards. 

i can load some of long items without scratching the seats leather. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

10 hours ago, therock said:

No one has to agree with me, but it is human nature to want the best deal, and also seek some endorsement of their choices.

We can offer our opinion, and when it's not accepted, we should move on too and avoid being the belligerent party, IMO.. 

Even if it's the worse decision ever, well, it's not our friend, our relative or even our kid, and actually even if it is, it isn't us, so let's keep it civil, I say. 
But hey, that's just me and my wishful thinking, we all have a keyboard and all know how to use it. But since the forum doesn't allow us to change what we post after a short 10-15 min, what we post is stuck here. So even if we change our minds on the tone or what we say, it's stuck here, and sometimes that leaves a bitter after taste.

It's a Friday, so TGIF, and enjoy F1 or whatever else that life offers us. Have a good weekend, and c'est la vie.

image.thumb.png.8860c4daaec12e0860e393bbd1b8864d.png

Complement your picture. 😁

To TS,

Continue to share your journey here. Do not take it to heart all those negative comments. 

F1DB6A31-3160-4110-A639-5D14D5969F09.thumb.jpeg.bbe8147535eefc6d3781926da8185c77.jpeg

• Praise 10

10 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Siang kar pager? @Ct3833... :D

Before I dig out some posts I have made on my Sharan, I would like to point out that this car is the longest I have kept, 5 years 9 months to be exact. 

My criteria is much more simpler back in 2016, able to allow my wheel chair bounded dad to gain easy access into and out of the car, comfortable sitting for up to 7 pax, enough space for wheel chair when all 3 row of seats are occupied, and last, not to sluggish to drive around. 

After some research and test drives, brought my parents to check out Sharan and Odyssey. In term of ease of access, Odyssey win hand down with it low floor bed, but the drive is just too boring (I was driving a turbo-charged 2.0L sedan then). Sharan won us over with the more comfortable seats (from 1st to 3rd row), and the sub 8 sec century sprint time is my cup of tea. 

No regret till date, and in fact I had a hard time finding a replacement for my high mileage ride (clocked ~175K km). With the passing of my dad few years back, i not longer need a 7 seater, but I will miss the boot space of my Sharan (I have helped my sis when she shifted her house, as well as my wife when she is shifting to her new office, cabinet, fridge, 42" TV, office furniture, etc. all can be loaded into the boot with ease). 

OK I better stop here before someone thought I am trying to steal the limelight from TS. :D:D

I kar pajer because I wanted TS to hear from the horse mouth mah. 😅😅

175k km is not high, my altis is currently >300k km, e200 192k km, both still can change gear 😄. And in a worst case  scenario go service autotrans, still a lot cheaper than changing car.

20221001_084939.jpg

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Freeder said:

Paging @RogerNg_185295 

Need your pragmatic inputs…..

Pls dun say until ask TS to take GRAB instead..pls don’t 🙏🏻

When trouble does not trouble you , don't trouble trouble 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 3

ignore the trolls lah….

otherwise the only car that everyone needs is a chipped m240i 

🤣

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 8

(edited)

Thank you everyone for the kind word. Yes I do hope to have this car to get through the early years of their childhood. 175k  is a lot in singapore for some , but in Germany or Australia it’s pretty decent so I think it’s fine as long as you keep doing the regular servicing. I remember the old Mercedes going to 1000k

no offense to everyone, as i didn’t take offense to any. Let’s keep this Forum good for sharing experience . 

Edited by Ctaiwee
  • Praise 7

Good to see some active discussion on car buying process. To me everyone will have different preference due to different budget, priority, phase of family, etc, etc, so there is no best car for any family. Even that best car will change as the family grows and mature.

For me right now, the only cars I will avoid are those that returns < 8km/L of petrol. Really cannot tahan going petrol station every 5 days with the Vellfire I had before few years back. The car is really functional and can serve the family needs very well, but for me is really going petrol station until got phobia after awhile. Even if I can afford, why should that chore become part of my life?

And I know it is late to share. If you like the EA888 engine, it is also fitted in some other sedans. Personal experience certain cars can return easily 12km/L even with very spirited driving until tyre spin at junction once in a while. Just so long as your daily routes consist of maybe 70% expressway would be able to get 12km/L easily. And frankly with 2 young toddlers, a large sedan would be enough to serve the family unless you need to ferry 5 adults plus the toddlers on daily basis. Else getting a large sedan, especially a relatively new used one, would be adequate for the next few years. Been there done that so I know it is only an excuse to get a big size MPV when a lesser being would most likely be a better decision haha. And if your spouse also can drive and willing to drive, maybe can consider having 2 cars. No need to get 2 atas cars if budget is not that big, just a small one and a bigger one, the benefits easily outweigh choosing a 'best' car that seems to be able to meet all your needs. And getting one to 2 year old used rides looks very sensible to do at current COE level unless you have very big budget to play with. Anyway this is something we face constantly so good to learn from each other. 

• Praise 6

Honda Odyssey Hybrid will be the best choice for TS … Nice drive and ample space inside.. 
Also oil consumption fig very good and pricing not bad in the MPV category..

@Heartlander we do have two cars at the moment, and the thought of having a bigger sedan did cross our minds. But the cost of petrol as you said is going up and having to drive two cars and finding parking at the same place is a pain when the whole family goes out. 

That is why we want to change one car to a MPV when we would like to travel in one instead of two to a location,  going up north for a road trip will also be cheaper. The Sharan’s Dimensions (L x W x H), (4854 x 1904 x 1746) mm is just slightly shorter in length and height of an Alphard. I consider the Alphard a reasonable size for an MPV. But even the Alphard  has height restrictions at some older carparks and these are the places we frequent.

@Freeder the Odyssey didn’t have the IsoFix at the 3rd row. And Honda said there is only one of it left in singapore and it’s the Display set. At yea  @Carbon82 got it right, the Odyssey is a boring ride compare to a Sub 8sec ride. 

2 hours ago, Freeder said:

Honda Odyssey Hybrid will be the best choice for TS … Nice drive and ample space inside.. 
Also oil consumption fig very good and pricing not bad in the MPV category..

one of TS's requirement is isofix I have lost touch with the current  model , not sure if there is isofix

@badlammy At least he bought a new Sharan,less problem,also the Service much improved now,because VW sold much lesser Car than in the 2003-2013..so easy to get Service Booking,i remember last time,just a simple Oil & Filter change,even with booking,need 2 Days to complete.

22 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

I don’t see your point, I’m just sharing my experience of why I did what I did.  The title said “My Quest for my family” .

I cannot even voice my opinions, and when I say this is good , you say I work for them.😂

Sorry about the hate you received. Some of these uncles very immature. Sour grapes? I just block them so dont have to bother with their toxicity. Having said that, dont expect everyone here to praise you and agree with your decision, the smart alecs are like that one...

I too am on the hunt for a 7 seater but unlike you, budget very limited so may not even get the chance to change car. Sienta/Freed etc. are double my current depre...

• Praise 2

The Sienta Hybrid - I wonder if the combined power is higher than the naturally aspirated version?

The more butch look of V3 is interesting, and the interior is well thought out. The external dimensions are compact and that's the attraction for me (not TS who wants isofix).

@yellowshaun yes the new MPV are not cheap at all. Even for the SUV that are  5+2. With COE being so high, I was lucky that my current ride did not lose any money after the high trade in. I was very surprised when they gave me at same price that we paid  4 years ago. 

31 minutes ago, therock said:

The Sienta Hybrid - I wonder if the combined power is higher than the naturally aspirated version?

The more butch look of V3 is interesting, and the interior is well thought out. The external dimensions are compact and that's the attraction for me (not TS who wants isofix).

doesnt matter actually... still Cat A so very very bo lat =D

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Ctaiwee said:

@Heartlander we do have two cars at the moment, and the thought of having a bigger sedan did cross our minds. But the cost of petrol as you said is going up and having to drive two cars and finding parking at the same place is a pain when the whole family goes out. 

That is why we want to change one car to a MPV when we would like to travel in one instead of two to a location,  going up north for a road trip will also be cheaper. The Sharan’s Dimensions (L x W x H), (4854 x 1904 x 1746) mm is just slightly shorter in length and height of an Alphard. I consider the Alphard a reasonable size for an MPV. But even the Alphard  has height restrictions at some older carparks and these are the places we frequent.

@Freeder the Odyssey didn’t have the IsoFix at the 3rd row. And Honda said there is only one of it left in singapore and it’s the Display set. At yea  @Carbon82 got it right, the Odyssey is a boring ride compare to a Sub 8sec ride. 

it’s not just the sub 8s acceleration but if you travel fully loaded 7 people plus luggage to msia, you will appreciate the ability to overtake, climb the highlands, suspension not bottoming out on bumps, twisty roads and high speed stability.

i have owned the presage for 6 years before my first sharan… the sharan is simply better in every way except the fuel consumption which is at best on par with the 2.5 litre na engine.

other than the isofix points in the 3rd row, i share all your other concerns and more.  regarding the 3rd row isofix points, i don’t put young kids in baby seats there since the 3rd row can comfortably accommodate an adult up to 1.75m for long journeys.

putting a kid or 2 in the 3rd row would be back breaking esp if they need to be carried on and off and strapping on.

😬😅

Edited by Enye
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6