Man fined $17,500 for flying into Singapore with 200kg of meat in luggage

Fitvip

From TST

More than he can BarBeQue.

Man fined $17,500 for flying into Singapore with 200kg of meat in luggage

image.png.a22e488393c6674c18002578808e5138.png

SFA officers were on June 8 alerted by ICA to luggage that was found to contain assorted meat products at Changi Airport. PHOTO: SINGAPORE FOOD AGENCY/FACEBOOK

SINGAPORE - A man travelling from China carried in his luggage more than 200kg of frozen meat, including rabbit meat and mutton.

Chinese national Wang Liansheng, 68, was fined $17,500 on Thursday for illegally importing assorted meat products into Singapore, said the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) and Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

On June 8, SFA officers were alerted by ICA to luggage that was found to contain assorted meat products at Changi Airport.

The eight pieces of luggage, which belonged to Wang, contained 226kg of frozen meat products such as chicken, beef, pork, mutton and rabbit meat from China.

The illegal consignments were seized and destroyed.

In another case, Singaporean Tan Kay Huat, 74, was fined $2,000 on Thursday for illegally importing fresh vegetables for sale.

SFA said its officers had on March 22 inspected a Malaysian lorry carrying food produce consigned to Tan and Chng Vegetable Seeds and Enterprise at Pasir Panjang Wholesale Centre.

Officers found that Tan, the licensee and sole proprietor of the company, had illegally imported 55kg of fresh vegetables, including caixin, spring onion and sweet potato leaf, from Malaysia.

The vegetables that were either undeclared or under-declared were seized.

SFA said food imports must meet its requirements, fruits and vegetables can be imported only by licensed importers, and every consignment must be declared and accompanied by a valid import permit.

It said: "Illegally imported vegetables are of unknown sources and can pose a food safety risk (for example, if unregulated or a high level of pesticides is used).

"The long-term ingestion of excessive pesticide residues through the consumption of vegetables that have been subjected to pesticide abuse could lead to adverse health effects."

SFA added that meat products can be imported only from accredited sources in approved countries that comply with Singapore's food safety standards and requirements.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

$8,000 fine for man who illegally imported meat, seafood products from China

Importer, director fined over illegal imports of meat, seafood and other food products

Offenders who import meat products illegally from unapproved sources can be fined $50,000, jailed for up to two years, or both.

If it is the offender's second conviction, he can be fined up to $100,000, jailed for up to three years, or both.

Those convicted of illegally importing fresh fruits and vegetables can be fined up to $10,000, jailed for up to three years, or both.

image.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha! 6

5 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Bomb threat fine $4.5k  ( past case ) , " smuggle " frozen meat fine $17.5k, i am confused 🤪

Bomb threat if false, nothing will happen .... :we-all-gonna-die:

If frozen meats viruses spread, lockdown very likely and the cost of containing viruses huge...  :sick:

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Bomb threat fine $4.5k  ( past case ) , " smuggle " frozen meat fine $17.5k, i am confused 🤪

$4.5k for making a joke about having a bomb.

If charged under terrorism, it is potentially $500k fine or up to 5 years jail or both.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

How to check in 220kg of luggage? Thought max is 1 or 2 luggage with max of 30kg each.

He had 8 pieces of luggage. So, average about 30+ kg per piece.

• Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Bomb threat is unreal, meat is real, that is the diff😄

We have luxury goods scam,  meat scam will show up in news paper soon, order  meat but didn't receive delivered.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 3

I wonder what is in his mind when he decide to take those 8 luggage and put in to the plane he boards. He thinks it is going to be "Boh Tai Chi one lah" and go meh??:dizzy: 

• Haha! 3

44 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

How to check in 220kg of luggage? Thought max is 1 or 2 luggage with max of 30kg each.

Maybe he paid other passengers in same flight to check in for him.

• Praise 2

41 minutes ago, Arogab said:

I wonder what is in his mind when he decide to take those 8 luggage and put in to the plane he boards. He thinks it is going to be "Boh Tai Chi one lah" and go meh??:dizzy: 

He is thinking using his stomach?😆

Feeding his hunger for meat is number one priority. Somemore it is cheaper to buy in China.

Maybe he does that on China domestic flight, so no problem. But he doesnt know it is a big no no for international flights.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

He is thinking using his stomach?😆

Feeding his hunger for meat is number one priority. Somemore it is cheaper to buy in China.

Maybe he does that on China domestic flight, so no problem. But he doesnt know it is a big no no for international flights.

I still not get it, I wonder who is travelling with him and how come no one advise him on anything. I really cannot relate if he is on sound mind🤣

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Arogab said:

“Mei sherrr de, mei sherrr de la!”

• Haha! 9

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

$4.5k for making a joke about having a bomb.

If charged under terrorism, it is potentially $500k fine or up to 5 years jail or both.

Activate 2 Air Force 

whole plane delay half a day

Don’t even know need to search the whole plane or not

4.5k :XD:

500k more suitable lah

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

“Mei sherrr de, mei sherrr de la!”

🤣When I see the news, I really wonder. Why this Chinese 68 year old man come here for what? Why no one stop him, not even in the airport. 8 luggage is a lot and abnormal.

I really wonder the the hell is going on😂

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Arogab said:

1 person pushing 8 luggage, sure the officer on duty will become suspicious & scan luggage..... :wut:

Even if not meat, Custom will check for GST evade as purchase of more than $600/- per person subject to 7% GST tax. With 8 luggage, sure more than $600/- 

If 4 persons with 2 luggage each might get through... :secret-laugh:

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Haha! 1