174 die as tear gas triggers crush at Indonesia soccer match

Kb27

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Actually I don't understand. Overseas is alcohol fueled. But probably not in Indonesia. 

I don't blame the police for firing tear gas given the scenes shown. 

Indonesia could be alcohol fueled too.

It is kept silent from media 

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Actually I don't understand. Overseas is alcohol fueled. But probably not in Indonesia. 

Quoted from some news media. 

It seem blames shifting toward the law enforcement and stadium organiser.

------------------------

World soccer's governing body FIFA specifies in its safety regulations that no firearms or "crowd control gas" should be carried or used by stewards or police.

Indonesia's human rights commission also plans to investigate security at the grounds, including the use of tear gas, its commissioner told Reuters.

Amnesty International Indonesia slammed the security measures, saying the "use of excessive force by the state ... to contain or control such crowds cannot be justified at all".

Some 42,000 tickets had been issued for a stadium designed to hold 38,000 people, he said.

4 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Becos gone is our Kallang Roar …….. those days was very emotional 

you mean when people kept shouting Referee Kayu?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

17 hours ago, Kb27 said:

what a tragedy, it's just a game !

66f34159ad3ea61ef954575f146b0eb0

MALANG, Indonesia (AP) — Panic and a chaotic run for exits after police fired tear gas at an Indonesian soccer match to drive away rampaging fans left at least 174 dead, most of whom were trampled upon or suffocated, making it one of the deadliest sports events in the world.

Attention immediately focused on the police use of tear gas, which is banned at soccer stadiums by FIFA. The president of the world soccer body called the deaths at the stadium “a dark day for all involved in football and a tragedy beyond comprehension,” while President Joko Widodo ordered an investigation of security procedures.

Violence broke out after the game ended Saturday evening with host Arema FC of East Java’s Malang city losing to Persebaya of Surabaya 3-2.

Disappointed with their team’s loss, thousands of supporters of Arema, known as “Aremania,” reacted by throwing bottles and other objects at players and soccer officials. Witnesses said fans flooded the Kanjuruhan Stadium pitch and demanded that Arema management explain why, after 23 years of undefeated home matches against rival Persebaya, this one ended in a loss.

The violence spread outside the stadium where at least five police vehicles were toppled and set ablaze. Riot police responded by firing tear gas, including toward the stadium's stands, causing panic among the crowd.

Some suffocated and others were trampled as hundreds of people ran to the exit to avoid the tear gas. In the chaos, 34 died at the stadium, including two officers, and some reports include children among the casualties.

“We have already done a preventive action before finally firing the tear gas as (fans) began to attack the police, acting anarchically and burning vehicles,” East Java police chief Nico Afinta said in a news conference early Sunday.

More than 300 were rushed to hospitals but many died on the way and during a treatment, Afinta said.

Terrible and tragic...

i remember the Heysel disaster and the Hillsborough one too. Seems like time has lapsed too long and people forgot about those. Such things just should not happen...

RIP...

17 hours ago, Kb27 said:

what a tragedy, it's just a game !

66f34159ad3ea61ef954575f146b0eb0

MALANG, Indonesia (AP) — Panic and a chaotic run for exits after police fired tear gas at an Indonesian soccer match to drive away rampaging fans left at least 174 dead, most of whom were trampled upon or suffocated, making it one of the deadliest sports events in the world.

Attention immediately focused on the police use of tear gas, which is banned at soccer stadiums by FIFA. The president of the world soccer body called the deaths at the stadium “a dark day for all involved in football and a tragedy beyond comprehension,” while President Joko Widodo ordered an investigation of security procedures.

Violence broke out after the game ended Saturday evening with host Arema FC of East Java’s Malang city losing to Persebaya of Surabaya 3-2.

Disappointed with their team’s loss, thousands of supporters of Arema, known as “Aremania,” reacted by throwing bottles and other objects at players and soccer officials. Witnesses said fans flooded the Kanjuruhan Stadium pitch and demanded that Arema management explain why, after 23 years of undefeated home matches against rival Persebaya, this one ended in a loss.

The violence spread outside the stadium where at least five police vehicles were toppled and set ablaze. Riot police responded by firing tear gas, including toward the stadium's stands, causing panic among the crowd.

Some suffocated and others were trampled as hundreds of people ran to the exit to avoid the tear gas. In the chaos, 34 died at the stadium, including two officers, and some reports include children among the casualties.

“We have already done a preventive action before finally firing the tear gas as (fans) began to attack the police, acting anarchically and burning vehicles,” East Java police chief Nico Afinta said in a news conference early Sunday.

More than 300 were rushed to hospitals but many died on the way and during a treatment, Afinta said.

i've experienced the rage of indo football fans up close in Jakarta when driving past a football stadium in Seneyan shortly after an important match had ended. At that time i didn't know there was a match nor the potential for riot. Absolutely bonkers. 

• Praise 3

I think those old enough will remember the same incident happen before in the euro final between pools and juv. 
almost 40 ppl die. 

Still no comparison to his case 170+ ppl. .....

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Victor68 said:

Wonder they are sport fans or rioters.

same question can be asked regarding those tasked with providing security - are they security or gangsters 

38 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

fanatic supporters + high emotions + mob

(edited)

Soccer is a dangerous game.

Not for the players, but for the spectators.

I can't remember many, but Hillsborough came to mind.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Beregond said:

I think those old enough will remember the same incident happen before in the euro final between pools and juv. 
almost 40 ppl die. 

Still no comparison to his case 170+ ppl. .....

yup that was heysel... i woke up a bit late, and was wondering why live telecast got no match, but kept showing the stadium with spectators moving around...

later there was also hillsborough... 😭

• Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

same question can be asked regarding those tasked with providing security - are they security or gangsters 

In Hillsborough disaster, more than 20 yr later, the court finally found that the crowd control police were culpable of the disaster, when they firstly failed to anticipate problem, and then later locked the gates when stampede started... and yet they told lies in the aftermath, to put all blame on the spectators...

pity the chief had already died after the decades, and no need to answer for his failure...

• Praise 1
  • Sad 2

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/seventeen-children-among-dead-indonesian-soccer-stampede-2022-10-03/

Seventeen children among the dead in Indonesian soccer stampede [:(]

MALANG, Indonesia, Oct 3 (Reuters) - Seventeen children were among at least 125 people killed in a soccer stampede in Indonesia at the weekend, officials said, as pressure builds on the Southeast Asian nation to explain how one of the world's worst stadium disasters unfolded.

Violence and hooliganism have long been features of Indonesian football, especially in places such as Jakarta, the capital, but Saturday's disaster in a small town in Java has thrown a spotlight on the problem.

"My family and I didn't think it would turn out like this," said Endah Wahyuni, the elder sister of two boys, Ahmad Cahyo, 15, and Muhammad Farel, 14, who died after being caught in the melee.

"They loved soccer, but never watched Arema live at Kanjuruhan stadium, this was their first time," she added at her brothers' funeral on Sunday, referring to the home side they backed.

• Sad 1

If all you have is a hammer every problems looks like its a nail.

If you give all the police officers tear gas the answer for every problem is use the tear gas.

:D

To break up a crowd only need 2 or 3 tear gas I wonder how many they used?

There again Indo police best in the world?

9 hours ago, BanCoe said:

The Persebayan supporters were not allowed into the Stadium as the authorities already felt it would trigger riots and the Aremas now will have pay the price …….. I guess Asian emotions are no better than the infamous Brit hooligans except that the use of tear gas exacerbated the situation….. RIP …. Dark Day in the history of Indonesia  

Just let the hooligans mass in the field and whack each other senseless also better. Police and security stand aside and watch.

Now what happened as always is that police deploy teargas which led to panicking and stampede among the spectators, many of whom are not involved in the violence in the first place.

18 hours ago, Jellandross said:

Our friendly neighbor has a history of generally undereducated populace with the tendency to become savages once they're able to gather en masse to show their strength against the authority. 

Actually, what said is very sensitive... but it reminded me of clashes some 17-18 yr ago i think, of (if i'm not wrong, religious) clashes in Indon... it was horrible, and savage is not enough to describe them...

No whatsapp yet (fortunately), but Internet was still flooded with photos of how the rioters ambushed and killed one another. Even got chilling photos of people being beheaded and the rioters displaying their trophies... sick to the gut...

• Praise 2
  • Sad 3

22 hours ago, Kb27 said:

@Kb27 

It's a very sad incident and tragedy. RIP to those innocent!

Imagine 50 to 100 Police officer VS thousands of Rioters! And FIFA banned Police use of tear gas????? I don't see anything wrong with Indo Police using tear gas. 

So FIFA expects the 50 to 100 Police officers to just give "verbal warning" or "Sweet talk" these thousands of Rioters to behave properly? 

Strongly suggest Indonesia Police to learn from peace loving country like USA, China or North Korea on the way they deal with rioters / protesters. 

• Praise 5

5 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Just let the hooligans mass in the field and whack each other senseless also better. Police and security stand aside and watch.

Now what happened as always is that police deploy teargas which led to panicking and stampede among the spectators, many of whom are not involved in the violence in the first place.

Then some spectators will still get injured/killed and the polisi would still be blamed for standing around and doing nothing. 

Best is to ask the teams to play in Singapore and no one here would bother to attend. Very safe!

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1