Singapore Reckless Drivers XIII

DOBIEMKZ

48 minutes ago, Fitmugen said:

I think gahmen need to tell performance motors to run road safety course for their customers

All will be fine as long as they withdraw the following course:

image.png.702e40bd439144435d12742fdb56c956.png

• Haha! 6

19 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

If this cowprick is not jailed a few years then I really lose faith in the system. 

18 hours ago, Abracadabra said:

Mmmmm ...... Years? Interesting 🤔

11 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

I nominate you as prosecutor for this case..

10 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Jail term for Reckless driving causing death starts from 2 years.

If he is lucky, he might be charged under “driving without due care”. That could be fine only.

What’s point of aftermath punishment?
More effort should be put into Enforcement.

8 hours ago, mikk123 said:

punishment is more important than enforcement. sentence this idiot to 15 years in jail and ban driving for life. To kill this chicken warns off the monkeys! 

I'm sorry unlikely to be years? I do hope it's years though.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/clementi-road-fatal-accident-cabby-gets-8-weeks-jail-5-year-driving-ban

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

CCTV + AI will ensure that no offence is not caught and summoned. 

It will be more effective than having men on the street if every inch of the street is covered.

Knowing that you are watched every second on the road, behaviour will improve.

I disagree. I would agree with you if you asked me this when i was younger (like primary school younger 😂). The reason is people are now not so scared of being watched. 

I like the "Open City Strategy" in the three kingdoms. Think i shared here so won't describe the story.

The G likes to think they are Zhu ge liang and we are like Sima Yi.  All we need need to do is see him playing the musical instrument and we will back off even if the city looks empty.  That may be true for my generation (or maybe i was just younger). People now will peek inside the city.  As long as nothing is done, they will go further and further. And Zhu ge liang will just keep playing his musical instrument cos he has no troops.

So relevance here is that there will always be people who test the limits.  You can have all the cameras but how many times have we heard of someone actually being arrested, fined or jailed because of the camera (traffic offences) when nothing happened (reckless driving but no accident)?    Seeing the number of videos on Roads.sg, i would expect almost an article daily on a fine based on the video.  

If CCTVs were adequate, there shouldn't be so many of such incidents already.  Everyone I talked to on this incident always say dont worry.  They will be caught cos got CCTV.  I am reminded of the saying "i think, you thought, who confirm?"

I think CCTV with AI is effective.  You thought so to.  Who confirm (in the form of arrests or great reduction of incidences of reckless driving)?

18 minutes ago, Calvin8808 said:

This driver was charged under "driving without due care" which does not have a minimum jail term.

For Punggol case, accordingly to the news report, the driver will be charged under reckless driving which carries a minimum jail term of 2 years.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I disagree. I would agree with you if you asked me this when i was younger (like primary school younger 😂). The reason is people are now not so scared of being watched. 

I like the "Open City Strategy" in the three kingdoms. Think i shared here so won't describe the story.

The G likes to think they are Zhu ge liang and we are like Sima Yi.  All we need need to do is see him playing the musical instrument and we will back off even if the city looks empty.  That may be true for my generation (or maybe i was just younger). People now will peek inside the city.  As long as nothing is done, they will go further and further. And Zhu ge liang will just keep playing his musical instrument cos he has no troops.

So relevance here is that there will always be people who test the limits.  You can have all the cameras but how many times have we heard of someone actually being arrested, fined or jailed because of the camera (traffic offences) when nothing happened (reckless driving but no accident)?    Seeing the number of videos on Roads.sg, i would expect almost an article daily on a fine based on the video.  

If CCTVs were adequate, there shouldn't be so many of such incidents already.  Everyone I talked to on this incident always say dont worry.  They will be caught cos got CCTV.  I am reminded of the saying "i think, you thought, who confirm?"

I think CCTV with AI is effective.  You thought so to.  Who confirm (in the form of arrests or great reduction of incidences of reckless driving)?

Most of China's CCTV has AI.  Even jaywalking also get fine immediately.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

This driver was charged under "driving without due care" which does not have a minimum jail term.

For Punggol case, accordingly to the news report, the driver will be charged under reckless driving which carries a minimum jail term of 2 years.

That will be good.

Not great as no amount of years can bring him back or lessen the pain. 

45 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

You mean maximum? 

But actual case maybe given 2 months. 

9 hours ago, mikk123 said:

punishment is more important than enforcement. sentence this idiot to 15 years in jail and ban driving for life. To kill this chicken warns off the monkeys! 

Our courts somehow more lenient to traffic offenders however reckless they are or the huge pain they inflicted. Really don't know why. 

You cheat a few k likely get jailed longer than killing someone with a car.

Like :

Man jailed 5 years for cheating 396 victims of more than S$108,000 on Carousell 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/man-jailed-cheating-396-victims-108000-carousell-ecommerce-scams-2912466?cid=internal_sharetool_androidphone_03112022_cna

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

You mean maximum? 

If the offender causes the death of another person while driving a motor vehicle, the offender will face the following penalties if convicted:

1) For first time offenders – imprisonment for a period between 2 to 8 years.
2) For repeat offenders – imprisonment for a period between 4 to 15 years.

• Praise 2

26 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

You mean maximum? 

Reckless driving minimum is 2 years.

Driving without due care is either fine, jail or both.

It depends which 1 he is charged 

18 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

If the offender causes the death of another person while driving a motor vehicle, the offender will face the following penalties if convicted:

1) For first time offenders – imprisonment for a period between 2 to 8 years.
2) For repeat offenders – imprisonment for a period between 4 to 15 years.

This is reckless driving.

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

I dunno why this kind of incident with CCTV available there is no follow up... But park my car in deserted unloading lot of an ulu carpark at some nowhere housing estate for 5 mins and URA summon letter come promptly 3 days later. 

• Haha! 4

2 hours ago, Fitmugen said:

I think gahmen need to tell performance motors to run road safety course for their customers

The problem is many ppl are attracted to "performance-branded" cars (not to be confused with actual performance cars). Stupid ppl often think driving fast is same as driving like an axxhole but it's two different matters. Go fast when need to be fast like lane changing or joining expressway. Go slow when need to be slow like near pedestrian crossing or in carpark. It's not rocket science, just common sense.

Often on the road, I encounter drivers of "performance-branded" models like the 1 & 2 series, 3series pretending to be M, A class & CLA, junkyard sirrocos, etc, constantly overcompensating their mickey mouse engine to drive performance-ly which ended up in reckless and dangerous situations. 

That's why car makers spend millions in marketing and advertising in building their brand story. The power of car branding is very real in brainwashing drivers into irrational behaviours on the road.

Edited by Jellandross
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 5