So is MSG good or bad for health?

SGMCF328

Just like donkey years back, scientists once said that lard is bad for our health but over the past few years, researches have shown that lard is a good source of fats that support a healthy heart.

why-so-confusing.jpg

What about MSG? Isn’t it bad for me?

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/what-lower-sodium-salt-msg-himalayan-pink-salt-sea-salt-2983936

For years, MSG has been viewed as unhealthy as a small percentage of the population reported that they had symptoms like headaches and increased thirst after consuming food at Chinese restaurants, said Dr Bhaskharan. 

However, newer research has questioned the accuracy of its supposed adverse effects on health, she said. 

MSG, or monosodium glutamate, is a flavour enhancer derived from L-glutamic acid, which is naturally found in foods like tomatoes, mushrooms and onions, nutritionists said. 

It also can be artificially made via fermentation using corn or sugar beets. 

MSG is a non-essential amino acid, which means that our body can produce it and doesn’t need to get it from food, said Dr Bhaskharan. 

It contains about 12 per cent sodium, which is lower than regular salt. 

Even though it has less sodium, it can enhance salt perception, and the flavour of food by adding umami, which is a taste that helps to intensify the meaty, savoury flavour, said Ms Stephen. 

This means that just a small amount is needed to elevate the overall flavour of healthier foods with lower sodium content, she added. 

Research has also shown that MSG can be used as a suitable replacement for some salt in packaged foods like snacks and soups, which can help to reduce their sodium content by 30 to 50 per cent. 

“This provides good potential to use MSG to formulate healthier, ‘better-for-you’ food products without compromising on taste. This in turn can propel consumers to choose more nutritious food options and positively impact health,” Ms Stephen said. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

It should be alright when taken in moderation……. But some people not used to taking it used to complain of headaches especially the Westerners as MSG has been more of a Orient thingy as a flavoring enhancer 

• Praise 7

I remember i see one documentary before on MSG, and they interview one guy who eat MSG like drinking water, and the guy health is still ok. Lol.

1 minute ago, BanCoe said:

It should be alright when taken in moderation……. But some people not used to taking it used to complain of headaches especially the Westerners as MSG has been more of a Orient thingy as a flavoring enhancer 

As experts always say, everything and anything also can eat but eat in moderation lo. 

Internal Moderator
14 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Yah. everything we take in moderation should be fine. There is no superfood in this world one. You everyday eat kale also will turn green one. 

Moderation is the key. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 6

14 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Yah. everything we take in moderation should be fine. There is no superfood in this world one. You everyday eat kale also will turn green one. 

Moderation is the key. 

No wonder you so “ green” still 🤣🤣

• Haha! 6

13 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Moderation is the key. 

Including marijuana and other drugs?

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 2

Msg taste good when u eat it, But after the meal u will feel very thirsty, and have the urge to keep drinking water for a few hours.

Not to mention the link of msg to hair lost ( no scientific  prove yet. )😅

42 minutes ago, Ender said:

I think experts have explained many times msg is not bad. 

Msg is not bad, but what if everything we eat also add extra msg inside? And we eat it everyday.

Its vey easy to exceed the 'not bad' limit i think?

Look at it another way, how many family when cook at home will have msg ready to add in??

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

If you don’t get headache from umami food, why do you get a headache from msg? Overconsumption of sodium is another story through the excessive usage.

it’s just given a bad name with terrible publicity.

• Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Msg taste good when u eat it, But after the meal u will feel very thirsty, and have the urge to keep drinking water for a few hours.

Not to mention the link of msg to hair lost ( no scientific  prove yet. )😅

Msg is not bad, but what if everything we eat also add extra msg inside? And we eat it everyday.

Its vey easy to exceed the 'not bad' limit i think?

Look at it another way, how many family when cook at home will have msg ready to add in??

Wouldn't we see MSG related dieseas by now? And what are the MSG related disease?

• Praise 2

Supercharged

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2002/10/25/Eye-damage-from-MSG-consumption#:~:text=MSG binds to receptors on,cells to relay electrical signals.

MSG found to damage retinal cells in rats. Should be same for humans. Just look at Japs. Majority are short-sighted (Hirohito is good example!)

Explains why more whites started becoming short-sighted after Asian food crossed over to their countries. 

Edited by Kklim
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
55 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Nowadays I start to come across food reviewers mentioning “umami”, googled it to realize it is actually MSG.

All about branding

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, 13177 said:

I remember i see one documentary before on MSG, and they interview one guy who eat MSG like drinking water, and the guy health is still ok. Lol.

sound like someone's grandfather who smoke 2 packs of ciggies everyday from 16yo to 88yo yet hasn't tio lung cancer...... must be the bell curve's fault siah.....

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Yah. everything we take in moderation should be fine 

Moderation is the key. 

can you inform PMO to suck our money in moderation bo 🤑

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2